'20 FL Gerald Mincey (UF Transfer)

Thomas Goldkamp, who covers the Gators for Swamp247, the 247Sports site covering Florida, said Mincey, a three-star transfer with an 84 rating from 247Sports, has “excellent upside” and probably should have played more than he did during the 2021 season.

Tennessee’s staff has familiarity with Florida native Mincey from the recruiting process as he had an offer from head coach Josh Heupel and offensive line coach Glen Elarbee at UCF, so the Vols will know about what he can bring to the table. Listed as the backup left tackle on Florida’s depth chart,

Mincey appeared in nine games in 2021 and entered the transfer portal shortly after the Gators finished a 6-6 regular season by beating Florida State with an interim coach after firing head coach Dan Mullen. Mincey was rated as a three-star prospect and ranked the No. 657 overall player and No. 48 offensive tackle when he signed with the Gators out of Cardinal Gibbons High School in Fort Lauderdale.

“Mincey was a player Florida's coaches were excited to land in the recruiting process,” Goldkamp told GoVols247. “They loved his foot quickness and agility. Coupled with his long wingspan, they thought those attributes could make Mincey an excellent tackle in the SEC over time.”
Regardless of his role next season, Mincey will add competition and quality depth at a position of need, and the luxury for Tennessee is the opportunity to develop him over his multiple years of remaining eligibility.

“Though he didn't play much at Florida in his first two years, Mincey could well be ready for a starting role in 2022,” Goldkamp said. “UF's staff prioritized experience heavily on the O-line, perhaps one of the reasons the quality of depth dropped off rapidly if there were injuries to starters. But
with the Gators shy on depth on the O-line, Mincey was hardly a young player they could afford to lose.

“He's got excellent upside and probably should have gotten more run at Florida in 2021.”
-Brown

And Crawford, Parker, and Perry will develop too.
Honestly I think it is crazy to write anyone off at this point. I have followed UT closely for about 30 years now. I don't think anyone has developed offensive players better or as quickly in that time... at least not since Cut left the first time.

VN Store

Back