'22 FL DT Ahmad Moten (Miami commit)

Moten chose a team near home. UT competed with that and one of the nation's currently most successful programs... and obviously there are "fans" who think it was a failure of the staff that he didn't sign with UT.

Tiresome.
I get some of their frustration because we "miss out" on some "in-state" kids but unfortunately we just haven't had much to cheer for during these kids' lifetimes. Hopefully with the new staff we'll have some sustained success.

I get some of their frustration because we "miss out" on some "in-state" kids but unfortunately we just haven't had much to cheer for during these kids' lifetimes. Hopefully with the new staff we'll have some sustained success.
Moten is from FL.

I do understand the frustration of thinking that UT is missing good instate players. I don't understand jumping to the conclusions that so many jump to. First, the rankings are not and never have been the final word on players. The ability of this staff to find the right talent and intangibles will be better judged in a year or two when they start depending on this class to contribute.

Second, UT's staff apparently believes they are getting guys they can develop into good players. IOW's, they're getting talented guys.

Third, the staff has demonstrated what it can do even with a short roster on the field. Should be better with a full roster.

Fourth and maybe even more importantly... I hope (and think) that UT's staff is refusing to over sell/promise. I think they're giving kids the straight poop. So in a year or 2 or 3 when that kid sees the inner workings of the team that wined and dined him... they may remember the guys who gave it to them straight and use the portal. One of the good things about the portal is that it is going to punish deceptive recruiters.

Moten is from FL.

I do understand the frustration of thinking that UT is missing good instate players. I don't understand jumping to the conclusions that so many jump to. First, the rankings are not and never have been the final word on players. The ability of this staff to find the right talent and intangibles will be better judged in a year or two when they start depending on this class to contribute.

Second and maybe even more importantly... I hope (and think) that UT's staff is refusing to over sell/promise. I think they're giving kids the straight poop. So in a year or 2 or 3 when that kid sees the inner workings of the team that wined and dined him... they may remember the guys who gave it to them straight and use the portal. One of the good things about the portal is that it is going to punish deceptive recruiters.
Absolutely, that's why even though I believe Heupel is genuine, being straight up with a kid plays well into the long game.

Proximity to home is the #1 advantage any school has for a player. Once Miami got MC, it was a stretch to get him out of SoFla.

The reason Tennessee is struggling instate is the poison attitude displayed by the prior staff towards 2022 kids before the staff was fired. JP preferred 3 star kids from East Egypt Alabama who had no grades and couldnt play over Tennessee kids. It may take Heupel a couple years to completely rebuild trust with HS coaches and families.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Proximity to home is the #1 advantage any school has for a player. Once Miami got MC, it was a stretch to get him out of SoFla.

The reason Tennessee is struggling instate is the poison attitude displayed by the prior staff towards 2022 kids before the staff was fired. JP preferred 3 star kids from East Egypt Alabama who had no grades and couldnt play over Tennessee kids. It may take Heupel a couple years to completely rebuild trust with HS coaches and families.
If it's the #1 advantage how does Tennessee always absolutely suck with in state recruits? It's not just the last idiot coach.

Reactions: MrVolton
If it's the #1 advantage how does Tennessee always absolutely suck with in state recruits? It's not just the last idiot coach.

Duh, First, Memphis & West Tennessee is closer to about 4 or 5 SEC schools than Knoxville is. Second, a number of kids from Middle Tennessee have recently moved here from other areas. They and their parents have loyalty to other teams. Third, the program hasn’t been a consistent winner in about 20 yrs. Fourth, some of our past staffs (not just Pruitts) were lazy recruiters.

Duh, First, Memphis & West Tennessee is closer to about 4 or 5 SEC schools than Knoxville is. Second, a number of kids from Middle Tennessee have recently moved here from other areas. They and their parents have loyalty to other teams. Third, the program hasn’t been a consistent winner in about 20 yrs. Fourth, some of our past staffs (not just Pruitts) were lazy recruiters.

To be fair UT has been doing a little better in memphis and west tn than they have nashville area lately. I think it all changes for the better starting with 2023. It’s undeniable now that Heupel is doing a great job with a healthy culture.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
Well you’ve had Dooley who was a prick to a lot of people in state and not well liked. Butch who actually did ok in state but was kind of considered a used car salesman. Then you had Pruitt who was a complete prick and a moron. In state recruiting is about establishing relationships, Tennessee really hasn’t had continuity or any clear direction for years. Despite being the worst ran program in the conference for a couple decades we’re still middle of the pack as far as conference. Tennessee can and will be great again if they can get out of their own way.

But I thought we were good at recruiting
We will begin to know that in a couple of years. By then, these guys will have time to develop. Some will hit the portal. UT will get some guys out of the portal. From current indications, the NCAA stuff will be in the rearview mirror.

I have said for a very long time now that the coach that pulls UT out of the ditch will be able to recognize talent and find guys others didn't notice. He will be more impressive on gameday than NSD. They will take the Dabo path by finding a lot of those 3* rated players who have 5* talent.

I am not claiming that's Heupel. I don't know. I just believe that whoever raises UT back to the first tier of CFB will see and develop talent without needing a stamp of approval from journalists.

We will begin to know that in a couple of years. By then, these guys will have time to develop. Some will hit the portal. UT will get some guys out of the portal. From current indications, the NCAA stuff will be in the rearview mirror.

I have said for a very long time now that the coach that pulls UT out of the ditch will be able to recognize talent and find guys others didn't notice. He will be more impressive on gameday than NSD. They will take the Dabo path by finding a lot of those 3* rated players who have 5* talent.

I am not claiming that's Heupel. I don't know. I just believe that whoever raises UT back to the first tier of CFB will see and develop talent without needing a stamp of approval from journalists.
Good points. I think these guys have already shown the ability to get more out of less… but it’s gonna take a new level of recruiting to really ever get over the “hump”. Even in the 90s, we weren’t stockpiling as much talent as Bama, UGA, and TAM are now…

Point #3 is it

I hope this is the reason for the struggles and you're right about Heupel rebuilding trust.

Heup squeezed every drop of talent possible out of the roster this year. Developing talent looks to not be an issue.

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back