'21 FL CB Derrick Edwards

When was the last time we offered a 4 star or someone with a offer from a top ten team?
You must think all the available 4 star and 5 star athletes in America are breaking Coach Pruitts office door down to come play for Tennessee. Let me remind you that over the last several years our record has not been real superior. Actually it kinda sucks ! So, in all sincerity we cannot just reach out and select who we would like to play for UT. Now, programs like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia,etc. can pick and and choose who they would like to have. After we reach that superiority I am sure we will reach out to more 5 star candidates. Until we reach that level I suggest you take a deep breath and get relaxed.

When was the last time we offered a 4 star or someone with a offer from a top ten team?
A lot of the juniors ('21s in this case) start as 3 stars until their junior film is evaluated. Better to get in early with ones the staff feel are worth it regardless of ranking as some kids seem to be sensitive to timing of offers.

Thanks. I understand that logic but it seems odd to me that UT is the first power 5 offer for many or most the kids that have been offered in the last week or two.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
I have seen some asinine, mindless posts on this forum, many many thousands...And yet this one towers above them all. I hope you're related to/employed by the UTAD because otherwise the complete and utter lack of rational thought behind your post is disturbing.

See if you can follow here: the teams in this conference that thump us every year sign mostly four- and five-stars, every year. Every now and then, a three-star ends up playing as well as those four- and five-stars; and every team that comes along and recruits based on hoping to win the lottery with dozens of over-performing three-stars gets thumped by the teams that are built with four- and five-stars.

How many NCs have been won in the last ten years by teams that didn't have mostly four- and five-stars? The last thirty? I'll give you a hint: you need zero fingers to count them.

We used to get mostly four- and five-stars...Magically, mysteriously, that was also when we often did the thumping rather than getting thumped. We even won one of those NC things ourselves twenty-one years ago. And we had a crap-load of four- and five-stars when we did it.

It's fine and good that we may scale that grand mountain again of 6-6 or even 7-5 this year, and improving on the field is better than not improving. But the current HC expressly stated that this football program was going to be at the very top of recruiting; he didn't say we might; he didn't say he hoped to; he said it was going to happen. It isn't happening; it isn't coming close to happening; it can make the difference between whether we get back to where we once were, to where we actually compete for the real stuff and not just avoiding the basement of the conference or not, and considering the HC and his staff are getting paid millions of dollars a year and a very significant and delineated part of their job is recruiting, it is completely and utterly reasonable to make note of the fact that they're not doing a great job at it at the moment.

Offering three-star after three-star is not a strategy that can be defended, for any reason. One or two here and there, sure; even more than that, if you're also offering the four- and five-stars. But only offering three-stars means either that you don't think you can land them, which is unacceptable, or that you're too lazy even to try, which is equally unacceptable.

If you owned a business and all of your sales force suddenly began only pursuing the lower-tier accounts that would make you a fraction of the money of the top-tier accounts, would you pat them on the back and reward them for their well-moderated ambition?

Thanks. I understand that logic but it seems odd to me that UT is the first power 5 offer for many or most the kids that have been offered in the last week or two.

Could be us trying to get a jump on other teams. Some recruits feel slighted if you don't offer them as soon as possible. Better to be first than potentially playing catch up.

This is the time of year when seasons are winding down that they look for those diamonds in the rough that have been missed. When we are competing for NCs we can sit around and wait on the top 50 players to make their decisions.

I have seen some asinine, mindless posts on this forum, many many thousands...And yet this one towers above them all. I hope you're related to/employed by the UTAD because otherwise the complete and utter lack of rational thought behind your post is disturbing.

See if you can follow here: the teams in this conference that thump us every year sign mostly four- and five-stars, every year. Every now and then, a three-star ends up playing as well as those four- and five-stars; and every team that comes along and recruits based on hoping to win the lottery with dozens of over-performing three-stars gets thumped by the teams that are built with four- and five-stars.

How many NCs have been won in the last ten years by teams that didn't have mostly four- and five-stars? The last thirty? I'll give you a hint: you need zero fingers to count them.

We used to get mostly four- and five-stars...Magically, mysteriously, that was also when we often did the thumping rather than getting thumped. We even won one of those NC things ourselves twenty-one years ago. And we had a crap-load of four- and five-stars when we did it.

It's fine and good that we may scale that grand mountain again of 6-6 or even 7-5 this year, and improving on the field is better than not improving. But the current HC expressly stated that this football program was going to be at the very top of recruiting; he didn't say we might; he didn't say he hoped to; he said it was going to happen. It isn't happening; it isn't coming close to happening; it can make the difference between whether we get back to where we once were, to where we actually compete for the real stuff and not just avoiding the basement of the conference or not, and considering the HC and his staff are getting paid millions of dollars a year and a very significant and delineated part of their job is recruiting, it is completely and utterly reasonable to make note of the fact that they're not doing a great job at it at the moment.

Offering three-star after three-star is not a strategy that can be defended, for any reason. One or two here and there, sure; even more than that, if you're also offering the four- and five-stars. But only offering three-stars means either that you don't think you can land them, which is unacceptable, or that you're too lazy even to try, which is equally unacceptable.

If you owned a business and all of your sales force suddenly began only pursuing the lower-tier accounts that would make you a fraction of the money of the top-tier accounts, would you pat them on the back and reward them for their well-moderated ambition?

Clemson signed like 16 three star recruits last cycle. I wonder if their fans say "three star u". Also your business logic is rather odd. I have seen a lot go bankrupt strictly going after "top-tier" accounts. I guess some people prefer 0 dollars instead of "low-tier" accounts.

Lastly, where is your evidence that Tennessee only offers three stars? You know that this guy is 2021 recruit right? His ranking at this point is largely irrelevant.

They already offered all the 4 and 5 stars. At this point they are watching tape of the senior seasons to find the players that might have deserved to be rated higher. They are working tirelessly to find the best players possible that want to come to Tennessee. Unfortunately they can't order the 4 and 5 stars they want from Amazon. The good news is we have coaches that can coach the players that do come here. The more we win...the better the players we will get.

You must think all the available 4 star and 5 star athletes in America are breaking Coach Pruitts office door down to come play for Tennessee. Let me remind you that over the last several years our record has not been real superior. Actually it kinda sucks ! So, in all sincerity we cannot just reach out and select who we would like to play for UT. Now, programs like Alabama, Clemson, Georgia,etc. can pick and and choose who they would like to have. After we reach that superiority I am sure we will reach out to more 5 star candidates. Until we reach that level I suggest you take a deep breath and get relaxed.

No, I actually understand that signing 4 and 5 star players is difficult for a team with Tennessee's recent history. But does that mean we shouldn't make an offer?

Also, shortly after Pruitt's first signing day he was obviously disappointed in the results (25th in 247) and promised to do better, to be at the top of the SEC. Last year's class was better, coming in 13th overall and 7th in the SEC (247). Nice improvement but still a ways to go to be in the top of the SEC. And you don't get there with 3 star offers.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
No, I actually understand that signing 4 and 5 star players is difficult for a team with Tennessee's recent history. But does that mean we shouldn't make an offer?

Also, shortly after Pruitt's first signing day he was obviously disappointed in the results (25th in 247) and promised to do better, to be at the top of the SEC. Last year's class was better, coming in 13th overall and 7th in the SEC (247). Nice improvement but still a ways to go to be in the top of the SEC. And you don't get there with 3 star offers.
Are you honestly dumb enough to think we aren’t offering 4 and 5 star players?

Thanks. You expressed it much better than my one liners.

27 “5 stars” so far in the ‘21 class. UT has offered over half of them.

Takes like 2 seconds to look that up. Probably less time than the long drawn out complaints in player thread.

Can we get a clean up in here?
Stargazers doin crutin...
giphy.gif

Are you honestly dumb enough to think we aren’t offering 4 and 5 star players?

Did I say anything of the sort? I asked a simple question: "When was the last time we offered a 4 star or someone with a offer from a top ten team? " Do you have an answer? I've seen multiple offers to mid level 3's with weak offer lists over the last couple of weeks but can't remember when I last saw a offer to a 4/5 star or to a 3 with an impressive offer list. Perhaps I missed them but so far no one has pointed out my error.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s

VN Store

Back