Fishing in Tennessee

Taking out my dad's new kayaks in the a.m. He knows of a cove in Lenoir City that seems to be a hot spot. Any advice on lures? I haven't fished like that in a loooong time. Roosters? Curly tail jigs? Rapalas?

Taking out my dad's new kayaks in the a.m. He knows of a cove in Lenoir City that seems to be a hot spot. Any advice on lures? I haven't fished like that in a loooong time. Roosters? Curly tail jigs? Rapalas?

Can't speak for up there, but I have luck down here on all of those.

Maybe im way off on what you're talking about but the lake between ducktown and cleveland is ocoee lake. But that is nowhere near Kentucky.

Re-read what he said...

I've gone home to ky that way many times,

He didn't say it was in KY or near KY... he just said he would pass it on his way home to KY.

My dad just got two amazing Jackson fishing kayaks. We are going to put in at a nearby cove on Loudon this weekend where the yellow/striped bass are apparently hitting.

I'd like to float the Clinch for trout. Can someone explain the water release strategy and give me a good in and out recommendation?

The release strategy is usually dictated by the weather. During the summer they usually don't start generating till after 12:00 or so when the load picks up. In the fall when they are lowering the lake they will generate pretty solid for a month or better.

You can look at their planned releases here.

TVA: Reservoir Information

If your going for stripe go with a pearl shad 3" or larger depneding size of fish you wanna catch. I used to fish below the dam in spring. This time of year is a little bit more difficult unless you find swift moving water in that neck of the river. Below tellico dam and ft loudon dam have always been good to me for stripes. If your going for large mouth head up to Martel road. Good little cove. Use am electric red rattle trap 1/4 oz. They love that up there. I grew up in LC but haven't fishes there in a couple years. Hope that helps.

Very nice. Thanks for the info. I used to do this as a teenager. My dad and I built a flatbottom river boat just for this. I still have it. I may get a buddy to load up and go with me. Sounds like a load of fun.

it is a tom of fun,if it wasn't for the arthritis I would still be floating down the river every chance I got

like I said i will go and check out the drop off and take out places,if anybody is interested

I've had slow days,but we all ways caught something , a least a sunburn :)

it has been several years,but we pretty much would catch our limit of smallies

and it is a beautiful stretch of river and not a load of people floating it either

Re-read what he said...

He didn't say it was in KY or near KY... he just said he would pass it on his way home to KY.

I don't need to re-read his post as he already clarified this. You must admit that ducktown isn't anywhere remotely close to Kentucky or along a path to Kentucky. It would almost be akin to me saying I drive over Tellico river on my way home to Mississippi.

Once he clarified it made perfect sense.

I'd like to get into fishing. Unfortunately, I'm pretty ignorant on the subject beyond catching bluegill when I was a kid.

I'd like to get into fishing. Unfortunately, I'm pretty ignorant on the subject beyond catching bluegill when I was a kid.

You'll get hooked man. Find a friend with a farm pond, those places will give you the fever.

You'll get hooked man. Find a friend with a farm pond, those places will give you the fever.

I wouldn't know where to start. I don't know what to fish for or what type of bait to use.

If I wanted to fish at the lake from the bank what kind of equipment and supplies do I need? I'd probably buy everything at Gander Mountain, since it's close. Assume I have nothing.

Going to my GF's parents fish camp down in Hackberry LA this weekend for some fishing. Pretty stoked because they pull in Reds and Trout on the norm.

If I wanted to fish at the lake from the bank what kind of equipment and supplies do I need? I'd probably buy everything at Gander Mountain, since it's close. Assume I have nothing.

Go back to the basics you spoke of catching blue gill. Starting out its hard to beat a Zebco 33 rod and reel combo. Get some hooks, sinkers, and floaters to go with it, and a bucket of red worms. Just about every fish will eat a worm at some point. Try the bait with a floater, if no luck take it off and use a sinker to fish on the bottom. Start catching you a few small blue gill from the bank, and who knows what else may bite. I've caught some good fish off the bank like that. Get comfortable, and when you like it buy some bass plugs to throw from the bank. This is all just my opinion, but I've done, and still do that same thing and have a blast.

There are some smart fishing folk in here who may be able to give better advice I'm sure.

Go back to the basics you spoke of catching blue gill. Starting out its hard to beat a Zebco 33 rod and reel combo. Get some hooks, sinkers, and floaters to go with it, and a bucket of red worms. Just about every fish will eat a worm at some point. Try the bait with a floater, if no luck take it off and use a sinker to fish on the bottom. Start catching you a few small blue gill from the bank, and who knows what else may bite. I've caught some good fish off the bank like that. Get comfortable, and when you like it buy some bass plugs to throw from the bank. This is all just my opinion, but I've done, and still do that same thing and have a blast.

Thanks Joe!

Besides live bait, what artificial bait could I fish with? What are bass plugs?

Thanks Joe!

Besides live bait, what could I fish with? What are bass plugs?

Do you have any friends that fish? If so, thats usually the best way to go about it. Perhaps someone on here in your area wouldnt mind taking you out for a trip. If that doesnt work out I recommend reading magazines or online articles about fishing.

Joevol's reference to "bass plugs", he was talking about artificial baits (crankbaits) intended for bass.

Last edited:

How'd this go KiddieDoc? Catch anything?

Do you have any friends that fish? If so, thats usually the best way to go about it. Perhaps someone on here in your area wouldnt mind taking you out for a trip. If that doesnt work out I recommend reading magazines or online articles about fishing.

Joevol's reference to "bass plugs", he was talking about artificial baits (crankbaits) intended for bass.

Unfortunately, I really don't have any friends who fish. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Thanks Joe!

Besides live bait, what artificial bait could I fish with? What are bass plugs?

Yea, what jp1 said about crankbaits, they're my favorites. I love what's called a "shadrap", they're made by Rapala. Walmart carries these as well, and I've had luck on several colors. There are also artificial crankbaits that are made to look like a crawfish. I have caught many bass on those even from the bank. Not to throw to much at you, but besides crabkbaits, I love using artificial worms. I hope you go man, its something you can take the family, sit in the bank, and honestly have an awesome time. You can get hooked on fishing though!

I'd say , to start bass fishing Freak, use a trick worm Texas rigged around brush and downed trees. It's easy.... Won't snagged hardly at all and if you work the bait right, the bass love it. It is easier than a crank as if you don't know the shore line and under water obstacles, you are liable to lose a couple of good cranks often. If you see them hiting the top..... Pick up a 1/4 on or 3/8 oz buzz bait and watch em hit !!! Best way to start on strictly bass.

Freak, Joe gave ya great advice just start simple.. It can get overwhelming just because of so much variety and all the different rods and reels and fish specie type lures.

Bass fishing is fun as it's a challenge...

try going out with someone you know that fishes and that person will show you exactly what to do.. Look up YouTube vids this is a great place to learn a lot of technique and start applying it. There's a guy that teaches people different things on bass fishing that I know and is a great guy.

His name is Gene Jensen he wears a Georgia hat but he's a good guy he goes by Flukemaster on YouTube look him up he has many instructional videos about bass fishing..
Good luck and hope ya decide to pick the hobby up..

Caught 3 smallies tonight. 1/2-3/4 lbers and 1-2 lber. All on a dark trick worm with no weight. Let it do its thing..... Fish were loving it.

Freak, that is solid fishing advice...... The two most important aspects of fishing: 1) if you go fishing with the right person, you don't hafta catch fish.... Enjoy nature. 2) if you are catching masses of massive, basses , you won't mind who you are fishing with. One other aspect: there is a fine line between fishing and standing on the bank looking stupid....lol be careful it's easy to "hooked" my bad I had to..... GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back