First Vol game you remember and your age

Sept 27, 1975 Vols v Auburn. I was 11

My father got tickets from a judge and we sat in Q under the overhang. Larry Seivers jumped over 2 defenders to grab the ball out of the air for a TD. To this day its one of the most incredible catches I've ever seen.

The endzone still had bleacher seats. The upper deck was not fully enclosed. You could get a Coke for $.25 or a large for $.50. I still have the game day program

'65 "RoseBonnett Bowl" vs UCLA in Memphis. Swamp Rat became legend. 11 years old. I remember listening and watching games earlier, but can't recall specifics on opponent's or scores. 1st game at Neyland was '66 KY.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
1974 Clemson game. I was 10. My uncle took me. We rode from Nashville to Knoxville in his orange 1973 vette. At the time I don't think I knew how damn cool that was

ArdentVol, quite a coincidence. That was my first game, too. I was 6 and watched it on TV. I have been a Vol fan ever since. I grew up in Kentucky and lived there until I went to UT. Took a lot of guff but had the upper edge to say the least during high school in 67-69 during which the Vols won two SEC Championships.
Herschel Walker[/QUOTE
parents and other close relatives were UT grads, and we moved to Knoxville the next year. dad had me in o&w well before i remember but
went to out of state college and then lived in nc and ala

always made at least one home game until dad passed in dooley tenure. ,obvious been taking guff about orange blood ever since. one of best friends in college dropped out and moved back to lexington to be near his beloved cats.
a

Does anyone remember an Ole Miss vs Tennessee game in the late 1950s that had a big brawl with players taking off their head gear and banging the hell out of each other? My grandpa used to tell me about it over and over as well as tear gas being used when Scrappy Moore's Chattanooga team beat us in Knoxville.

The Kissing Your Sister game, 1965 Alabama Tennessee game in Birmingham, where Kenny Stabler threw the ball out of bounds on 4th down thinking it was 3rd. Opps!!!

I cannot remember when I was not listening to the Vols either in person or, more likely, on the radio. My daughter graduated in 2004 making her a 4th generation grad. She finished with a degree in Communications where the Dean would always brag that UT Comms grads had the highest average salary of any similar institution. What he failed to mention was that Peyton Manning also had a comms degree and his salary was factored into the total average. My grandather played baseball for UT in the early 1900's and I cannot remember ever not talking about or listening to or seeing in person UT sports. (My grandfather is the young man first row on the left.)

Attachments

• 1908 UT Baseball Team.JPG
    1908 UT Baseball Team.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
1965 opening game with Army. 15 years old.
Doug Dickey’s 2nd year and a big turn around.
Ended in top ten with only one loss, a one point loss to Ole Miss.

First game I remember watching was 1997 UT vs Georgia. I know I watched games before then, but can’t remember them specifically.

I was 7.

Don't recall the first game. Most likely was any one of the first three in 1980 - Georgia, USCw, or Washington State. 18 years of age.

First game attended: Chattanooga 1969 18 year old freshman at U.T. But, listened for years, starting as a young boy sitting at the kitchen table with my Dad. We listened to an am station out of Bristol, that would fade in and out, ate pickled pig knuckles and saltine crackers. Great memories of some great times with my best friend.

First game I remember: Listened to the 1965 UCLA game on the radio with my dad (age 8). First game in person: 1967 LSU game (age 10). Both were close wins.

1984 vs Kentucky and I rode in on Dad's shoulders. I was 3 almost 4 years old. Tennessee lost but the only thing I remember is seing smokey.

I remember listening to games, on the radio, with my Dad and older brothers in the '60s, but the first I really remember was going to see them play Wake Forest in Memphis in 1970. I was eleven at the time and UT running back Don McLeary's brother went to church with us so Don stopped in to speak to us. It made a lasting impression to say the least.

Reactions: Tnphil

VN Store

Back