First Vol game you remember and your age

1965 Tennessee Army. Section K. My favorite player "Jerry Smith". Anybody remember him?. I know he played defense.
Like 99 Gator, I was 8 years old.

Something I didn't notice then was this:

1598146264645.png

I must have seen it, but was oblivious to it at the time.

Celebrating 50 years of Running through the T

Attachments

• 1598146205476.png
    1598146205476.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 3
1957 gator bowl
we were visting knoxville for xmas and watched it on tube w/ dad, grandad. i was 7/
we won on 4th q fg, i think.
still have mental pic of john david crow

before that,i was told that i threw a fit because i couldnt go to ut-tech game in atl when parents left me w/ aunt in atlanta while mom, dad went to grant field.
bobby dodd won

Last edited:
Hmmnnn...the Notre Dame game
Been a Vol since I was a baby. I remember knowing who Casey Clausen was and liking him, but the first game I remember would be Wilhoits game winner against the lizards.
😆😆😆😆 Thanks for making me feel old! I remember everything about the recruiting effort for Clausen... Wilhoits kick was some kind of wonderful. I just sat there for awhile reveling in the moment.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Must’ve been about 1977 ut vs Auburn, Dennis Wolfe was DE from my hometown and graduated w my older brother (he’s passed a couple of years ago) and 1979 vs Notre Dame listening while cutting firewood with my brother... man I miss him! VFL!

1979 Utah for me. I was 7.

The 1st game I really remember was the 1980 USC game. My brothers and I had little league football games at Kingston and we changed in the parking lot and drove to Knoxville tor the game. Sat in Section W. I can still see that FG the USC kicker kicked to win it. Shams!

Reactions: ArdentVol
UF vs UT 98. I was 9 years old. I didn't know really know what was going on....all I knew is that I loved it. Watched the game with my dad, mom, sister and his coworkers family. Their kids were around our age at the time. Remember it like it was yesterday

Reactions: lukeneyland
‘05 vs Kentucky in Lexington, I was fourteen. I had just moved to Kentucky and had no rooting interest in college football. Sister was a freshman at UT home for thanksgiving break and she talked us into driving up to Lexington for the game. UT was polishing off a miserable season, it was cold, and the game was a snooze fest (I’m pretty sure Ainge got an intentional grounding in the end zone to give UK 25% of their total points).

That should have spelled the end of my UT sports fandom, but something about that orange and the contingent of rowdy UT fans that stuck around chanting “JIM BOB COOTER” late in the fourth quarter must have got into my blood. Lord knows I could have saved some heartache. Once I decided I was a fan I figured with UT’s history they couldn’t possibly be down for long...

1957 cotton bowl
we were visting knoxville for xmas and watched it on tube w/ dad, grandad. i was 7/
we won on 4th q fg, i think.
still have mental pic of john david crow

before that,i was told that i threw a fit because i couldnt go to ut-tech game in atl when parents left me w/ aunt in atlanta while mom, dad went to grant field.
bobby dodd won

boca vol: i was wrong game was 57 and was cotton bowl
senior moment?

First game I saw (on the television) was the Orange bowl, 1968 vs. Oklahoma. First game I attended was 1968 vs. Kentucky.

Reactions: Alto1

VN Store

Back