First Six Games Stats and Evaluation

Volfan2012

2020-21 Women's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics

Marta Suarez only shooting mid 30's really need that to improve. She has rebounded very well. Some bad decisions and some good ones. The main thing you would like to see out of her is a huge increase in her shooting percentage.
Jordan Horston also terrible shooting percentage has been the only bad part of her overall game. She has been a superior defensive player and after game one her overall floor game has been far better.
Tamari Key has made 13 of 17 shots and she could get more shots if she was better at catching the ball and better at getting position in the post. Her defense has been terrific hopefully she can prevent the poor fouls she has committed.
Rae Burrell has been a fantastic offensive player for us easily our best player on offense. A little surprised at her rebounding totals she is usually in the 6 a game category. She has also improved defensively this season.
Rennia Davis has come on in the last couple games her early stats were horrendous with West Virginia being her worst game. She is as always a superior rebounder of the basketball hopefully the 21 percent she is shooting from the three will become 35.

Bench

Jordan Walker has been a very reliable player for the Lady Vols she has come into games and provided valuable minutes she is our most reliable bench player who also starts some games.
KK only 41 percent from the field and her 34 attempts have all been around the basket so I rate her offense as very bad this season. I also haven't been fond of her defense. I am hoping she can give us a little more consistency and higher field goal percentage.

Other than these seven don't know who is going to step up and get a few minutes playing time expect we need at least a couple more players to give us a few minutes of quality play per game.

As a team offense needs to get better were not where we need to be think we have players that will do a lot better. I think both Horston and Suarez are capable of over 40 percent and Davis should really go up from where she is now. Free Throw shooting has been better than last season and the rebounding has been excellent. Were far better in steals this season than last. We had 93 all last season looks like were going to shatter that by a lot may even double it. Turnovers to Assists needs to improve never good to have more turnovers than assists.

Offensive Grade C
Defensive Grade B plus

2020-21 Women's Basketball Cumulative Statistics - University of Tennessee Athletics

Marta Suarez only shooting mid 30's really need that to improve. She has rebounded very well. Some bad decisions and some good ones. The main thing you would like to see out of her is a huge increase in her shooting percentage.
Jordan Horston also terrible shooting percentage has been the only bad part of her overall game. She has been a superior defensive player and after game one her overall floor game has been far better.
Tamari Key has made 13 of 17 shots and she could get more shots if she was better at catching the ball and better at getting position in the post. Her defense has been terrific hopefully she can prevent the poor fouls she has committed.
Rae Burrell has been a fantastic offensive player for us easily our best player on offense. A little surprised at her rebounding totals she is usually in the 6 a game category. She has also improved defensively this season.
Rennia Davis has come on in the last couple games her early stats were horrendous with West Virginia being her worst game. She is as always a superior rebounder of the basketball hopefully the 21 percent she is shooting from the three will become 35.

Bench

Jordan Walker has been a very reliable player for the Lady Vols she has come into games and provided valuable minutes she is our most reliable bench player who also starts some games.
KK only 41 percent from the field and her 34 attempts have all been around the basket so I rate her offense as very bad this season. I also haven't been fond of her defense. I am hoping she can give us a little more consistency and higher field goal percentage.

Other than these seven don't know who is going to step up and get a few minutes playing time expect we need at least a couple more players to give us a few minutes of quality play per game.

As a team offense needs to get better were not where we need to be think we have players that will do a lot better. I think both Horston and Suarez are capable of over 40 percent and Davis should really go up from where she is now. Free Throw shooting has been better than last season and the rebounding has been excellent. Were far better in steals this season than last. We had 93 all last season looks like were going to shatter that by a lot may even double it. Turnovers to Assists needs to improve never good to have more turnovers than assists.

Offensive Grade C
Defensive Grade B plus

If you are a good high school shooter and come to UT, you are then like the US V.P., never heard from again. I don't know what it is but for the last 10 years (at least) we have not been able to shoot the ball. WHAT GIVES???!!! We have had girls come in that have been thought to be pretty good shooter and they just "brick'um up. Can't understand it.

The one thing I have noticed so far this year as I relate "us to them" is a difference in the less than aggressive play inside. I don't mean it as derogatory, but inside players on our squad seem to be in less than "body right" shape as they stack up against other team's inside players. To be plain more sluggish. When you go up against the top teams this will/or could be the difference in the close ones.
I base the above on a very small sample of our output for this season and more on seeing others. For some reason we just aren't on the tube as often as I like.

In spite of all that, our gals are averaging 75 points per game while allowing only 55.
That's not bad.
Almost exactly what it was last year before the SEC schedule started only last year if was after 12 games.

You can expect that to change like it did last year and go to 70/60.

If you look at their HS stats, we have not recruited great shooters until CKH started. Holly only recruited athleticism and overlooked skills like 3p shooting and court vision (Dunbar excepted - couldn't play d).

You can still win with just athleticism SC and Baylor are not a very good 3pt shooting team but beat you with athleticism and other ways. If you look at the top 25 there is not one team other then Depaul that shoot lights out.

Reactions: Volfan2012
You can still win with just athleticism SC and Baylor are not a very good 3pt shooting team but beat you with athleticism and other ways. If you look at the top 25 there is not one team other then Depaul that shoot lights out.
I think any game Tennessee can defend 60 or under will be a win for them. I have to believe Marta will shoot the ball better as the season progresses and Horston should also do a little better. She was around 40 as a freshman no reason to do worse this season. We can win with her shooting 40 percent and playing the floor game and defense she is doing thus far. We need Marta and Rennia to pick it up on the shooting. Davis is on track Marta needs to do so as well.

If you are a good high school shooter and come to UT, you are then like the US V.P., never heard from again. I don't know what it is but for the last 10 years (at least) we have not been able to shoot the ball. WHAT GIVES???!!! We have had girls come in that have been thought to be pretty good shooter and they just "brick'um up. Can't understand it.

I think it boils down to level of competition and what the offensive playbook looks like. They are being guarded by faster and more athletic players than they are used to who close out on shooters more quickly, so they don't have as many easy catch and shoot opportunities and need to be able to create space to get off their own shot. Plus does the offensive sets free up shooters? This has never been a priority for Tennessee; maybe it changes with Kellie.

I think any game Tennessee can defend 60 or under will be a win for them. I have to believe Marta will shoot the ball better as the season progresses and Horston should also do a little better. She was around 40 as a freshman no reason to do worse this season. We can win with her shooting 40 percent and playing the floor game and defense she is doing thus far. We need Marta and Rennia to pick it up on the shooting. Davis is on track Marta needs to do so as well.

I agree with you 100% also Marta needs to learn how to pull up for a short jump shot in the lane. If you watch her she drives all the way to the basket then has no place to go or just throw up a wild shot.

SC shoots 37% from deep, and their starting backcourt (Henderson, Cooke, Beal) are shooting a combined 50% on 54 attempts, with Cooke responsible for half of that and shooting 55% in 6 games. I wouldn't leave any of them open from deep.

SC shoots 37% from deep, and their starting backcourt (Henderson, Cooke, Beal) are shooting a combined 50% on 54 attempts, with Cooke responsible for half of that and shooting 55% in 6 games. I wouldn't leave any of them open from deep.

They can beat you off the bounce to.

I think it boils down to level of competition and what the offensive playbook looks like. They are being guarded by faster and more athletic players than they are used to who close out on shooters more quickly, so they don't have as many easy catch and shoot opportunities and need to be able to create space to get off their own shot. Plus does the offensive sets free up shooters? This has never been a priority for Tennessee; maybe it changes with Kellie.

What you are saying is we don't recruit offensive players (shooters) as well as most other programs at our perceived level of competition. We have not shot from any distance (3-20ft) for some time. It's bothersome to watch us miss 10-12 foot jump shot so much and this does not explain our many missed layups.

Bench

Offensive Grade C
Defensive Grade B plus
Very good analysis, Volfan2012, I could not have done better! LOL! You are a far better analyst than me. Also, the LVs need to raise their offensive grade to "B" or at least, "C+", to compete in the SEC. What do you think?

What you are saying is we don't recruit offensive players (shooters) as well as most other programs at our perceived level of competition. We have not shot from any distance (3-20ft) for some time. It's bothersome to watch us miss 10-12 foot jump shot so much and this does not explain our many missed layups.
When Tennessee recruits shooters, they aren't recruiting ones who can create their own shot. I'm sure Tess Darby could win many 3-point contests; I have my doubts that she will get many good looks off with your typical SEC wing guarding her.

They need someone like Fudd or Zia Cooke who can find a way to get good shots off even if they are being defended.

As far as the layups...yeah, that still puzzles me up to now.

When Tennessee recruits shooters, they aren't recruiting ones who can create their own shot. I'm sure Tess Darby could win many 3-point contests; I have my doubts that she will get many good looks off with your typical SEC wing guarding her.

They need someone like Fudd or Zia Cooke who can find a way to get good shots off even if they are being defended.

As far as the layups...yeah, that still puzzles me up to now.

That was my thinking to can she create her own shot ? i think she will see floor time in the SEC how much ? To me with Kellie playing her on the wing at the 3. I think it becomes a more difficult for her in the SEC. She will be ask to defend players like 5-11 Chelsea Dungee 6-1 Brea Beal

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Very good analysis, Volfan2012, I could not have done better! LOL! You are a far better analyst than me. Also, the LVs need to raise their offensive grade to "B" or at least, "C+", to compete in the SEC. What do you think?
Definitely and they can do that if two or three players start shooting a better percentage and the other maintain what they are doing now.

Reactions: Nute Gunray

VN Store

Back