Firing Fulmer was the worst mistake a program has ever made.

Went from a major division 1 football school to a complete joke.

Every year since I think we’ve hit the low point...but nope, this loss to Kentucky was the worst in maybe our program’s history.

Rocky bottom.
Firing fulmer wasn’t the mistake. Allowing Mike Hamilton and his ilk to choose his replacement was.

I think two are equally the worst....and it’s not the firing of Fulmer.

I think Hiring Doofy, he is a good part of the reason Tennessee is still in this mess.

He let Tennessee go down on talent, on wins, on program status......and we’re still suffering.

Not hiring Patterson. What could he have done at Tennessee when they were still “somewhat” Tennessee?

Last edited:
People forget just how bad we were in Fulmer‘s last few seasons. The ship righted itself temporarily when we hired Cutclife back as OC; but it was clear that Fulmer, without Cut, has lost a step or three.
I really think TN‘s great run in the 90s was due to Cutclife as much as Fulmer.

Once the decision to let Fulmer go was made though (necessarily in my opinion), the search for his replacement was woefully unprofessional. You have a plan and a replacement chosen BEFORE you pull the trigger. TN keeps making that mistake over and over and over

People forget just how bad we were in Fulmer‘s last few seasons. The ship righted itself temporarily when we hired Cutclife back as OC; but it was clear that Fulmer, without Cut, has lost a step or three.
I really think TN‘s great run in the 90s was due to Cutclife as much as Fulmer.

Once the decision to let Fulmer go was made though (necessarily in my opinion), the search for his replacement was woefully unprofessional. You have a plan and a replacement chosen BEFORE you pull the trigger. TN keeps making that mistake over and over and over
To think Hamilton had Patterson at the table and walked away....

The problem wasnt firing Fulmer. It was firing Fulmer and not already having a proven winning coach ready to come in to continue the success with a talented roster.
This^^^^^
There was no time rush to fire him right way. You take your Time to have his replacement fully on board unofficially then you pull the trigger.

If that is your opinion he holds the keys to the program so stick him back in there. But as far as I am concerned I can’t see much difference between Fulmer and Pruitt. This year resembles Fulmer’s last year right now.

Reactions: igotworms
Firing Fulmer was fine.

Shopping at Dollar General and Big Lots for coaches since then is the problem.

And we have come full circle and put Fulmer in charge again to put us in the position of yet another embarrassing loss.

Agree!!!

Gary Patterson
05 - 11-1
06 - 11-2
07 - 8-5
08 - 11-2

He would have came.....yet Tennessee went with Kiffin who had just been fired....I don’t get it.

Then you hire freakin Doofy?? Come on....it’s like they wanted Tennessee to fail.

This team isn't bad, we just need a consistent, productive QB. Last week against Ga. in the first half, the team played good against a great defense. Two bad plays by JT in the 3rd qtr. started the rout. Pruit makes a fortune and will get richer if they fire him, he literally has nothing to lose. Bench JG. A wide receiver could do a better job taking snaps which Kentucky proved not too long ago...

VN Store

Back