Firing Felton makes matters even more murky

Athensvol

Kaltefleiter: Firing Felton makes matters even more murky
Story updated at 11:23 PM on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Dennis Felton's critics have lined up at Damon Evans' door and they're demanding blood.

"Off with his head," they're clamoring.

They're fed up with the losses, the inconsistency. They're tired of hearing about Bruce Pearl's miracle work at Tennessee. They're tired of hearing about the Hurricane Harrick recovery effort.

They're tired of a basketball program that's more insignificant these days than an Atari 2600.

Felton's critics want immediate change, by God, and they emphatically believe that jettisoning Georgia's fifth-year coach is the only remedy.

At this juncture, they would be wrong.

Ditching Felton only would make matters worse for a program that was progressing until this season started. Instability is what Georgia should avoid at all costs. An abrupt coaching change shatters the exact balance Felton, Evans and the rest of Georgia's higher-ups have craved since Harrick's removal.

This season was doomed before it ever started when Georgia's leading scorers from last year, Takais Brown and Mike Mercer, were suspended and eventually dismissed from the team. Felton tried to keep things in perspective by saying that the key departures wouldn't affect how the Bulldogs performed. But he had to know his team was headed for the abyss of the SEC; he just couldn't say it publicly.

Lest we forget, Evans played a prominent role in what happened to Brown and Mercer. They were suspended a combined 24 games because of Evans' controversial academic guidelines. If Evans pulls the plug on Felton, a coach he gave a two-year extension to less than eight months ago, then Evans shares some responsibility, too.

When Georgia hired Felton in 2003, he was charged with rebuilding a program in shambles and turning it into a winner. All the while, he was given the ultimatum of recruiting players gushing with talent, impeccable character and scholarly pursuits. Then when two of them stray from those qualities, Evans is there to hit the "fire" button?

It's like telling a ranch hand to protect a hen house from foxes only to turn around later and scold him for killing one.

Frankly, one question that Evans must answer is would firing Felton really be cost effective right now?

The school could owe him more than $2 million if termination is the decision. At the same time, Georgia would have to pony up another lucrative, multi-million dollar offer to convince somebody that the program is a winner waiting to happen.

Snow cone salesmen would have an easier time peddling their product in Siberia.

Whether Felton can be an effective coach at the SEC level remains to be seen. That's mostly because the players he's had at Georgia - with the exception of Brown, Mercer and Sundiata Gaines - would be benchwarmers at most top-tier teams in the league.

The only way to know for sure is to grant Felton a reprieve until the end of next season when he's had two years with the current group of freshmen and the even more talented ones arriving for next season.

If Georgia doesn't reach the NCAA Tournament this time next year, then by all means, Evans should unsheathe the ax. Until then, Felton's head should rest easy on the block.

John Kaltefleiter is the sports editor of the Banner-Herald.

Felton 'eternally grateful' for NCAA bid
Bulldogs not concerned with No. 14 tourney seeding

By Roger Clarkson | roger.clarkson@onlineathens.com | Story updated at 11:52 PM on Monday, March 17, 2008
2008 NCAA Men's Tournament Bracket (356k)

Georgia only had one chance to make the NCAA Tournament and the Bulldogs took it. Georgia leap-frogged 11 teams to climb from the bottom of the SEC standings to winning the tournament. Seeding didn't matter in the SEC Tournament so the Bulldogs don't care where the NCAA stuck them in the bracket.

"I have no idea where we're seeded," Georgia coach Dennis Felton said in Sunday's postgame news conference. "I really couldn't care less I didn't care where we played or who we played. We're just eternally grateful to be in the tournament."

For the record, Georgia (17-16) is a No. 14 seed and will play No. 3 seed Xavier (27-6) in the first round of the West Regional at 12:30 p.m. Thursday at the Verizon Center in Washington, D.C.

Felton's chat with the media after Sunday's SEC title game win might be his last for a while. Felton went on the Bulldogs' crowded disabled list with a lost voice.

His physical status is uncertain. His job status is secure. Georgia athletic director Damon Evans said after the SEC title game that Felton would be retained as coach.

Positioning doesn't always mean much in the NCAA Tournament, especially to a team riding a hot streak like Georgia.

"Look at Georgia right now, wherever they're seeded," Florida coach Billy Donovan said on Monday. "They're an SEC team right now that's been playing terrific basketball. They've played against high-level competition all year long and played against some of the best teams in the country. For somebody like Xavier playing against Georgia, a three seed against a 14 seed, if Georgia is fortunate enough to win that game, I wouldn't think of that as an upset. A lot of that has to do with how you finish the season. A lot of times you're dealing with a team that's got a lot of focus, fire and passion to take advantage of the opportunity that's in front of them and they are talented enough."

The matchup between No. 3 seeds and No. 14 seeds has a history of upsets. Georgia and Xavier have some experience in that matchup. Georgia was a No. 3 seed in 1997 but lost to Tennessee-Chattanooga 73-70. In 1991 No. 14 Xavier beat Nebraska 89-84.

No. 14 seeds have a 13-72 record against No. 3 seeds in the last 20 years. No school from a major conference has been a No. 14 seed since the tournament expanded to 64 teams in 1985.

"We were just really looking for our ticket to get into the NCAA," Georgia guard Billy Humphrey said. "I think I speak for everybody in saying we didn't really care who they matched us up against, we just knew we were going to take it by the hands and walk with each other and try to advance like we did in this tournament. Hopefully we can play for another championship."

Xavier Musketeers

Record: 27-6

How they got there: Xavier won the Atlantic 10 regular-season title and has been ranked in the top 25 from the beginning. St. Joseph's beat Xavier 61-53 in the conference tournament semifinals. Xavier got an at-large bid and the No. 3 seed ties for the highest in school history.

Who to Watch: Xavier has a balanced offense with six players averaging between 11.7 and 10.0 points. The Atlantic 10 named 6-foot-3 senior guard Stanley Burrell conference defensive player of the year. He averaged 10.0 points and 3.8 assists a game. Josh Duncan, a 6-9 senior forward, earned the A-10 Sixth Man of the Year award and led the team in scoring with 11.7 points a game. Drew Lavender, a 5-7 senior guard, made second-team all-conference, averaging 10.7 points and 4.3 rebounds a game. Former Pittsburgh guard Sean Miller has coached the Musketeers to three straight NCAA Tournament appearances.

Sendoff

Georgia will have a sendoff for the men's basketball team when it leaves for its NCAA Tournament game. The sendoff will be at 4:30 p.m. today the Stegeman Coliseum loading dock.

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on 031808

I'm happy for UGA and Felton. He's obviously a good coach who has been handcuffed by losing his best players. We need to ask ourselves how good would Pearl have been in his second season if JaJuan Smith and Chris Lofton had been booted from the team?

I don't know if Dennis Felton is a good coach or not, other than the fact that he did a good job at Western.

I do know that he was brought in because UGa had become the poster child for taking the student out of student athlete under Harrick and son, and that the Dogs specifically hired Felton as a man of integrity to clean up their program, and he has done that.

I don't know if Dennis Felton is a good coach or not, other than the fact that he did a good job at Western.

I do know that he was brought in because UGa had become the poster child for taking the student out of student athlete under Harrick and son, and that the Dogs specifically hired Felton as a man of integrity to clean up their program, and he has done that.

I'm shocked that the UGA faithful have forgotten what a pile of garbage Harrick is and what he left Felton. Guess with the blinders on, it's hard to imagine a recruit steering clear of Athens.

The problem is that Evans is a yes man for Mikee Adams, the president of UGA, who forced Harrick on a lame duck Vince Dooley, and Mr. Adfams has been trying to redeem himself since the Harrick debacle, so if Felton suceeds it looks bad for Adams.

Agree on all points. Felton has done what he was told to do, and done a fairly good job of it. This program needed to cut out quite a bit of cancer....there is going to be recovery period.

VN Store

Back