Fire the coach again? Seriously?

Argue it all you want but everyone said the same things about Dooley and butch. Kentucky is never an acceptable loss. Bama and Georgia and Florida are dominating us and that’s the target we are shooting at. If the AD would have just invested in the right guy the first time instead of bargain bin hunting, ironically we’d have saved them tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars is buyouts and revenues being lower because we’ve sucked for a decade.
extension in year 3 for being barely over .500 and no rival wins? Sound familiar?

Reactions: PNW Huskie
And with what Pruitt took over, that's going to take him 5 to 7 yrs. That's why Pruitt is not going anywhere.

Yup, at this point we honestly just need to suck up our pride, realize that we've been an absolutely joke from 2009-2018, and that middling years like 2019 and 2020 + are the next step towards building a foundation.

Of course the hot heads that post on the impulse of every emotion will never understand, and will continue to start Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin, or Fuente threads each time they get a W, while ignoring the 4 subsequent losses to inferior teams.

Speaking of firing, thread on the Checkerboard saying Pruitt stripped Ansley of Defensive playcalls at halftime Saturday. I pray that isn’t true.

Pruitt can’t be HC, DL coach, and DC.

Fulmer wanted old school. He got it.. A coach stuck in the past thinking he has Bama's players still.

You would think Pruitt would look at his mentor in Saban and realize offense wins in today's game.

Saban had good reason to want to be stubborn and not change given his resume but he did it anyway.

Instead, the gameplans look like something from circa 2006 and there apparently is no effort being put into developing their stud QB prospect.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Hire coach Sark from bammer or d coord from clempson....either one would be fine with me...need someone who can cruit and knows talent when they see it...and even more importantly we need someone that can coach and ain't afraid to put a boot in their arse or replace them when they don't get the job done!!!...that is if we lose rest of our games...win 3 out of last five then give Pruitt one more year... anything less given the axe!...gbo!!

No one expected us to beat Alabama yesterday. No one. At some point we have to see some progress though.

Disclaimer: I don’t think we should fire the coach. But he and the team certainly needs to show some improvement.
This is exactly the problem. Why should we not have a reasonable expectation that we can win? All week, anyone who expressed hope or excitement about this game was labeled as drunk, high or insane. What really seems inexplicable is that this coach just got a raise and extension, why?!?!? Who was banging down the door trying to steal Pruitt away?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Any really good, much less elite, head coach's team shows progress by Year 3. Provide any objective facts indicative of us closing the gap with our biggest rivals (AL, GA, FL) under Pruitt's tenure. This board is replete with data points, win/loss results, and quantitative outcomes to the contrary. The coach to bring TN back would not put a HISTORIC beatdown to KY on his record in Y3. The AD literally had to put out a dreaded public "vote of confidence" last year after the GA ST embarrassment & abysmal start to the season. None of us want it to be true, yet again, but we are seeing what we are seeing. Pruitt is not SEC head coach material.

What team should we expect to beat based off of your analysis of other programs? Vandy, and who else?
IMHO that is about it.
I would not be surprised that Mason pulls a Gus on us to save his job.
The Vols have a terrible record vs Vandy the last ten years.
The Vols have sunk to the very bottom. Anyone who thinks the Vols can compete with Alabama or Georgia are delusional. We no longer have a SEC level program. Changing coaches every three years will only make it worse. It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

Alabama has been a National Championship contender for many years in a row, including this one. UT has been middle of the pack in the SEC East, at best, over the same time frame.

UGA is also a contender. Kirby Smart took over a 10 win team and gave them the boost they needed to get where they are now. Thanks to Mark Richt building them, but that is irrelevant to the point I am trying to make, other than the fact that UT was not a 10 win team when CJP arrived...not even close.

Even Kentucky is better than they have been in decades, but I say they only beat UT because the Vols were shell shocked from the way they got beat down in the 2nd half of the Georgia game the week before. Not an excuse, but that's what I think happened. That said, Georgia was scared in the locker room at half time. That's why they came out on fire and UT was, not surprisingly overwhelmed. UT was competing with a NC contender.

I was hopeful the Vols would be better this year than last. It ain't over yet, and last season started off bad and turned out pretty good for a rebuilding team. Maybe this year will go the same way and the Vols will run the table the rest of the way.

Finally, to be calling for CJP's firing at this point is willful ignorance of the last several coaching changes UT football has endured. Have a little patience people. If you can't, maybe college football aint for you.

God Bless and Go Big Orange!
Year 15 of our “rebuild” and we still have fans posting nonsense like this.

I do not call for Pruitt to be fired. I would not be against Chaney and Weinke being fired however.

We will not beat the likes of Ala and Ga. as long as they are recruiting like they are. Their coaching staffs are much better than ours
and the only way we will beat them in the near future will be 95% stroke of luck.

Our recruiting class could be ranked 5th in the country and still be worse than those two. We are just in one he.l of a tough conference with little chance of beating Bama and Ga.

That is the worst defense Saban has put out onto the field. We can't fire Pruitt right now, but his presser was pathetic. He's just not head coaching material. That we have to hire guys like him and HOPE they become good head coaches is the head scratcher of all time
Hiring a nobody and hoping to get lucky is what Tennessee has done for the last 50 years with only one exception. Johnny Majors was the only big time successful coach Tennessee hired during that time period. We have never done what most people want Tennessee to do. I'm not saying we shouldn't have hired a big time head coach, I'm just saying history says we haven't typically done that and we're not likely to do it any time soon. Tennessee has almost always just hoped to get lucky with coaches.

Reactions: Dr H Lecter
Alabama has been a National Championship contender for many years in a row, including this one. UT has been middle of the pack in the SEC East, at best, over the same time frame.

UGA is also a contender. Kirby Smart took over a 10 win team and gave them the boost they needed to get where they are now. Thanks to Mark Richt building them, but that is irrelevant to the point I am trying to make, other than the fact that UT was not a 10 win team when CJP arrived...not even close.

Even Kentucky is better than they have been in decades, but I say they only beat UT because the Vols were shell shocked from the way they got beat down in the 2nd half of the Georgia game the week before. Not an excuse, but that's what I think happened. That said, Georgia was scared in the locker room at half time. That's why they came out on fire and UT was, not surprisingly overwhelmed. UT was competing with a NC contender.

I was hopeful the Vols would be better this year than last. It ain't over yet, and last season started off bad and turned out pretty good for a rebuilding team. Maybe this year will go the same way and the Vols will run the table the rest of the way.

Finally, to be calling for CJP's firing at this point is willful ignorance of the last several coaching changes UT football has endured. Have a little patience people. If you can't, maybe college football aint for you.

I agree with this. We will finally have the previous coach paid off in February, and now disappointed fans want to start the cycle again. I'm disappointed as well, more for the performance against Kentucky than anything else. Against South Carolina we didn't look sharp, yet won the game on the other teams field, against Missouri we looked like a very good team, and the first half against Georgia we played very well. The second half of Georgia, I believe, was what caused the lose against Kentucky, still suffering from shock. Yes Alabama whipped our butts, but I never saw any signs of quitting. Alabama has had the same coach for what, 14 years? They have 5 star players stacked one on top of the other, Tennessee doesn't. I saw improvement in the team yesterday, all be it, we still got skinned. In this time of Covid-19, the last thing that needs to happen is another coaching search, another salary payout for several years, rinse repeat. Pruitt has improved the roster since he has been here, but try to remember, his first recruiting class was basically saving what Jones had committed. He really only has two recruiting classes playing now, and a very good class committed. Give him time, the team is getting better.

Year 15 of our “rebuild” and we still have fans posting nonsense like this.
Lol, I think you're being ironic but can't be sure on this forum. Surely you're not implying the repetitive 'burn it down' philosophy is better for program building...

Yup, at this point we honestly just need to suck up our pride, realize that we've been an absolutely joke from 2009-2018, and that middling years like 2019 and 2020 + are the next step towards building a foundation.

Of course the hot heads that post on the impulse of every emotion will never understand, and will continue to start Mike Leach, Lane Kiffin, or Fuente threads each time they get a W, while ignoring the 4 subsequent losses to inferior teams.

Pruitt hasn’t even dug the footers for a foundation and he’s in year 3.

If you were in a war would you seriously want Jeremy Pruitt as your leader? No way!!!!

People were saying the same crap at the beginning of last season, then we really turned it around the second half of the season. Are we a different team than we were a month ago? Everyone was high praise on the staff just 3 weeks ago. Can we put the pitch forks away? We got taken to the woodshed by some pretty good teams.

VN Store

Back