FINALLY feel like football program is on the cusp…

To be, we just have to win 9 (regular season) games this year. That gives you a ton of momentum going into the offseason, with a top 3 QB coming next year. If you beat everyone except for Bama and Georgia, all bets are off on the hype surrounding our program at that point. Have to prove it on the field first though.

But you know eventually Heupel has to beat one of the big 3 in that time or he will be gone.

I'm hopeful that he will. I like him. He just needs to continue to grow in his philosophy. He's a very good coach and stabilizing force.

2 of the big 3 were better than us last year. Still lost to all 3 and they weren't close.
We should have beat Florida by 30 points last year.

Lot of room to grown on offense and defense. BUT. it's coming together
-recruitng
- aligning of administration-coaches-communtity

I think we're a 10 win team this year.

The NIL deals will hurt Saban more than anyone. Simply because it levels the playing field when it comes to paying players. Alabama was great at it for so long that they kind of became an untouchable cash cow for the NCAA. Now everyone gets to openly bid for players, watch as Alabama slowly falls back towards the middle of the pack in the Sec.
I think it remains to be seen how bad it hurts Alabama. I hate those S.O.B.'s more than anyone but as a State, from the Governor's office to the average citizen they are still going to have as much or more commitment to success at football than anyone. It's all they've got. The average bammer would mortgage their grandma to win, I fear they'll do fine in the era of NIL. They still signed 15 top 100 players last cycle. We signed 0.

I’m convinced that JH is on the right track. I expect we will see the 2nd year jump. I expect our offense to come out hot.

The Defense needs to figure out 3rd down. I believe the defense should pressure the line of scrimmage every 3rd down. I don’t like a vanilla defense on 3rd down. It’s unacceptable to play to your film on 3rd, unless it’s sending heat. 3rd down is a blitzing down. Send pressure to either stop the run or pass. It’s not if it’s from where.

I’m convinced that JH is on the right track. I expect we will see the 2nd year jump. I expect our offense to come out hot.

The Defense needs to figure out 3rd down. I believe the defense should pressure the line of scrimmage every 3rd down. I don’t like a vanilla defense on 3rd down. It’s unacceptable to play to your film on 3rd, unless it’s sending heat. 3rd down is a blitzing down. Send pressure to either stop the run or pass. It’s not if it’s from where.
You can't blitz every third down either, because among other things, a properly executed screen is often a touchdown when you do. A draw or a hot route where the ball comes out quick is often a big gainer also. Bottom line is blitzing isn't infallible either, like you said to start with, mixing it up/unpredictability is the key. We really need to recruit DL who win at the line of scrimmage and you can get pressure without blitzing, that's what the big boys have. If we can get them, Garner can coach them up.

Last edited:
The quick progress Heupel & Co were able to make in their first year lends credence to the chances that we will see progress come more quickly now than we have at any point of the Dark Ages.

Butch, who (like him or not) had the best outcomes of any coach in that time period, was able to improve by 2 games a year. From 5 wins his first season, to 7 his second, then 9 his third and fourth before it all came crashing back down.

I think we're going to see faster growth from our current leadership and the lads. Can we go from 7 wins to 10 this year? Absolutely, we can. Gotta beat at least two of these three: Pitt, Florida, and LSU (and if not all three, our bowl game as well). That and not lose unexpectedly to any of our lesser SEC-East foes, gets us to 10.

That's the path to the fastest growth we've seen since Phil Fulmer had us competing for championships. I think Josh and his assistant coaches can do that. Looking forward to seeing.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
The NIL deals will hurt Saban more than anyone. Simply because it levels the playing field when it comes to paying players. Alabama was great at it for so long that they kind of became an untouchable cash cow for the NCAA. Now everyone gets to openly bid for players, watch as Alabama slowly falls back towards the middle of the pack in the Sec.

Perfectly said............the Tide no longer gets the cream of the crop.

of competing for championships again. It’s been a long time coming.

Next few years are going to be exciting. Buckle up.
This is a HUGE year for UT football. If you can swing 8-4 to 9-3 on the field you’ll bring this class home. Should be a top 5 SEC class and that starts the ball rolling. Continued success with the growing markets of Nashville Knoxville and Charlotte and you can build the bulk of your class close to home. Somehow there’s still a path to relevancy for UT football. Need Florida to falter and Miami to rise

We don't have the depth yet to compete for championships. But we did give Bama, Georgia, and Florida really good games before the lack of depth wore us out. 2-3 more years of getting the right kids in the system and I think we could win the SEC. The coaches showed that they can coach, just need dudes, especially on D.

I'm expecting things to get worse before they get better. I think 2022 will be right around .500 give or take a game. I don't think the defense will stop anybody and I don't expect the offense to be better than last season. I like Heupel. He's the right guy to clean up and stabilize the program. It's just going to be a slow process.

You can't blitz every third down either, because among other things, a properly executed screen is often a touchdown when you do. A draw or a hot route where the ball comes out quick is often a big gainer also. Bottom line is blitzing isn't infallible either, like you said to start with, mixing it up/unpredictability is the key. We really need to recruit DL who win at the line of scrimmage and you can get pressure without blitzing, that's what the big boys have. If we can get them, Garner can coach them up.
Exactly my point. Until we get the DL needed, you can blitz every third down. The part you mix up is where the pressure is coming from. Inside or out from the weak side or strong. Gamble right and the defense gets off the field, gamble wrong and possibly give up the score, the defense still gets off the field. At least you avoid a 10-12 play drive that takes a toll on the defense.

7 of our 12 games we should man handle them, the other 5 mix it up pressure the line of scrimmage on 3rd down and don’t just play it vanilla and give up the points and tire your defense out.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Man we hope so. I remember we were all giddy about cornbread tooo.
Hold up. I, for one, was never "giddy" about cornbread. I don't know anyone who was. Sure, some had hopes he could bring with him the Saban magic, but that's about all. It's revisionist history to say the fan base was excited about him.

Exactly my point. Until we get the DL needed, you can blitz every third down. The part you mix up is where the pressure is coming from. Inside or out from the weak side or strong. Gamble right and the defense gets off the field, gamble wrong and possibly give up the score, the defense still gets off the field. At least you avoid a 10-12 play drive that takes a toll on the defense.

7 of our 12 games we should man handle them, the other 5 mix it up pressure the line of scrimmage on 3rd down and don’t just play it vanilla and give up the points and tire your defense out.
I'm also an advocate of aggressive play calling in this regard, but you still can't blitz every third down, you need to mix it up and drop into coverage some to try and confuse the quarterback and keep the other team somewhat honest.

No, you just said to give up any hope of top tier success until Saban retires ("have to wait until...."). And Buckeye Vol humorously pointed out the error in your logic.
I wonder what happened to..."We have a better chance of beating Alabama than Florida"?

a5080ffc192a6f7aed56e7b40ca29c9b.jpg

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I'm expecting things to get worse before they get better. I think 2022 will be right around .500 give or take a game. I don't think the defense will stop anybody and I don't expect the offense to be better than last season. I like Heupel. He's the right guy to clean up and stabilize the program. It's just going to be a slow process.

You see 5-6 losses on next year's schedule? Wow..........

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
You see 5-6 losses on next year's schedule? Wow..........

I see several games that could come down to a score late to decide win/lose. Little margin of error. There are no automatic W's in the SEC (even Vandy). Yes, 5/6 losses could happen. Hopefully not, because our fanbase would not be able to handle that.

I'm going with 9-3.... Somehow think UGA, BAMA and LSU will have our number...
GO VOLS!!!

I'm also an advocate of aggressive play calling in this regard, but you still can't blitz every third down, you need to mix it up and drop into coverage some to try and confuse the quarterback and keep the other team somewhat honest.

What I liked most about Chavis was how he would send in a LB on critical plays with the intention of disrupting the expected call of the offense based off film study.

Study their film and then gamble with the how and where the pressure comes from based off their expected play call.

Monte was great at this too.

Dropping back into coverage and then getting picked apart because the DL isn’t getting pressure is something I can’t stand. Either way you can avoid a long drive that zaps the energy out of our defense.

At a signing day celebration a got to talk with Benjankin*(DC early Butch years.) about sending pressure often, he said that sounded like his wife. My brothers were there and did they give me the business over that.

Anytime a defense plays to their film an offense that is competitive with eat that up and make big plays anyway. I say if you are going to take a hit at least take it while throwing haymakers.

Vanilla defense only works consistently against an inferior opponent. On paper 7 games we should out talent them, the other 5, I expect we will need to mix it up and force their QB to play under duress.

How many times have you seen a defense drop back on 3rd and long and still give up the 1st down or more?

Throw your punches and if they are good enough to take your best shot, then so be it. Offense has got to answer. I expect our offense will be up to task.

I don’t let myself do this anymore. Tennessee football has let me down too many times in the past 15 years. If we do better than .500, that’s a success every year for me.

Reactions: sunnyvol79

VN Store

Back