Final game of the season

vollygirl

GO VOLS!!!
Staff member
How come Tennessee doesn't have a state championship? Alabama has the Iron Bowl. Mississippi has the Egg Bowl. Mizzou and Arky do something, I guess as the border war? Texas and Oklahoma will come in with the Red River Rivalry(correct me if that's wrong).

How come we've never done something to own the state? (Yes. I know it's vandy. So what.)

How come Tennessee doesn't have a state championship? Alabama has the Iron Bowl. Mississippi has the Egg Bowl. Mizzou and Arky do something, I guess as the border war? Texas and Oklahoma will come in with the Red River Rivalry(correct me if that's wrong).

How come we've never done something to own the state? (Yes. I know it's vandy. So what.)
Vanderbilt game has never been a rivalry. We have dominated them throughout the series up until the last 10 years when we've had incompetent coaches. There is not boarder war Tennessee is the representative of the entire state.

I'd argue that MTSU or even Memphis State are better programs within the state. Hell, even APSU recently.

Reactions: Falcons02
With it being the final game, I do get a little teary eyed. Like all y’all, couldn’t hardly wait for it to get here and then once it does it’s over in the blink of an eye. What a season tho. What a damn season. If you have been to East Tn in fall, there’s no place any more beautiful. Even the air smells good. Add in the Orange & White with The Pride playing Rocky Top it just makes the entire season almost benevolent. I hate to see it end so soon but the thing that makes it even more special is knowing it’ll come again next year ……and we’ll all be right back here out of love for our Volunteers.

I'd argue that MTSU or even Memphis State are better programs within the state. Hell, even APSU recently.
They aren't on our schedule every year though.

But if we go to a single division I don't guess vandy will be either.

I would have named after Neyland and whoever was the first coach he beat, since that's what he was hired for.

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Neither school sees the other as an equal. We certainly don’t see them as an equal on the field and they don’t see us as an equal off the field. Not sure how that plays into it.

We should bring back the beer barrel for the Kentucky rivalry - not sure we could every have anything like that with Vandy.

With it being the final game, I do get a little teary eyed. Like all y’all, couldn’t hardly wait for it to get here and then once it does it’s over in the blink of an eye. What a season tho. What a damn season. If you have been to East Tn in fall, there’s no place any more beautiful. Even the air smells good. Add in the Orange & White with The Pride playing Rocky Top it just makes the entire season almost benevolent. I hate to see it end so soon but the thing that makes it even more special is knowing it’ll come again next year ……and we’ll all be right back here out of love for our Volunteers.
It did go by fast. Crazy.

The Neyland west bowl.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
They aren't on our schedule every year though.

But if we go to a single division I don't guess vandy will be either.

I would have named after Neyland and whoever was the first coach he beat, since that's what he was hired for.
UT is scared of Memphis.

They both have more bowl appearances than Vandy.

Simple enough

E2273047-5F7A-47AF-945F-0280FA16EEC7.jpeg

Vanderbilt would love for it to be rivalry. Problem is they have to show up and win a lot more to make that so and have never been able to do so, but there are unfortunate signs they are making strides. Since we always go into that game thinking we will win and are almost always correct we don’t take them seriously as any sort of potential rivalry. If we intend to keep thinking that way safely though we need to do a better job than in recent years.

In our down years they beat us 2 years in a row once, and 3 years in a row another time. Since 2005 when Fulmer lost to them the series is 11-6. Since their next win in 2012 though present the series is 5-5. Prior to the 2005 loss the last time they won was 1982, having won 22 in a row.

I don’t want them as rivals. Let’s please crush those dreams with another 20+ year run.

The Tennessean newspaper campaigned for a rivalry nickname 7 years ago. Nothing stuck. It was really just an effort by that newspaper to improve the perception of Vandy as a worthy foe of UT.

I doubt UT wants to do anything to help give Vandy even the appearance of equal footing, including an official rivalry nickname.

Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name

The Tennessean newspaper campaigned for a rivalry nickname 7 years ago. Nothing stuck. It was really just an effort by that newspaper to improve the perception of Vandy as a worthy foe of UT.

I doubt UT wants to do anything to help give Vandy even the appearance of equal footing, including an official rivalry nickname.

Vanderbilt-Tennessee football game needs a name

Give them an inch and they will take a mile. They already think they are Harvard and we are blue mountain state. Let’s not give them football.

VN Store

Back