Favorite "Vandy" Game Memories?

The time Dinardo’s secretary starting screaming at an orange clad wearing young lady who was sitting in front of her ,( definitely in the blue blood section of Vanderbilt Stadium) and they came to blows and the young lady knocked the hell outta her!

I used to pull for Vandy out of pity. Then they actually got cocky and arrogant during the Franklin years. Since then, now and forever I will hope the Vols annihilate their souls every year in every sport! Especially football!! I want to see an 80 on that scoreboard come Saturday, which UT could easily do if they wanted.

Darick-Rogers.jpg

4th & goal from 10yl. Trailing by> 3. Seconds left in game. Pass off target. Rogers spins in mid air and catches the the game winning TD one handed. Vols win and crush Vandy's dark soul.

2006 at Vandy. They had ended the streak the year before. Their fan base (all 6 of them) was the most arrogant, elitist, snobbish group of people I’ve ever encountered.

Vols won 39-10. My hatred for them was cemented that day. That win felt good.

Reactions: Vols1498
Listening to George Cafego's subtle hatred for all thing Vanderbilt and his unending number of Vandy jokes, he was old school, a competitive hatred forged in the 20s and 30s, a complete disregard for the lifestyle on the West End of Nashville and the sly grin he wore for weeks after Tennessee demolished Vandy, when our point total at the end of the game was often greater that the temperature at kickoff,.

We were.playing in Nashville,and some drunk vandy fan was walking up the steps in our section,both hands holding drinks,giving UT fans and team the what for calling all females.whores.and worse.Somebody hollered, "Shut that sob up or I will".That fan got his wish and the cups holding commodedoor went tumbling down He got a standing ovation from the entire UT section.Late 60's.

I live in Nashville, and granted, there are as many Vols as Vandy fans here. However, I remember a few years back they were beating us and trash talking, all I could think was someday we will pay you back. Someday is here!!!! I hope Hype scores 100!

I live in Nashville, and granted, there are as many Vols as Vandy fans here. However, I remember a few years back they were beating us and trash talking, all I could think was someday we will pay you back. Someday is here!!!! I hope Hype scores 100!
Liar. There are way more UT fans.

Idk the year but must've been around '91 or 2. Shazzon Bradley was a big ole linebacker from McMinn Co, just across the river from me. I had seen him in person on the high school field multiple times vs my Rhea Co Eagles. He was truly a man among boys. He had a pretty good, but not NFL-type, career for the Vols.

We were pummeling Vandy, what else?, by something like 45-0. We ran a fake field goal and passed it to Bradley (who never played offense or field goal unit) for a TD in his last game. I was at Neyland to see it. Fun times.
That was 1993 as VOLS crushed vandie 62-14. Andy Kelly hit Shazzon Bradley in the endzone (Rhea County & McMinn County) as Tennessee folks cheered.

OK, y'all help me out. It was in Nashville -- the only "away" game I ever attended, other than LSU ones here in BRouge. I think it was about 2000 give or take a couple yrs. My son was there, born in 93, and I remember him being about a 1st-grader more or less. We beat Vandy pretty handily, and I think it was the year we had LB -- Jason Mitchell ? -- who knocked the crap out of smallish Vandy RB who foolishly tried to run up the middle. So, 2000?
Do you remember what the final score was? Also, I believe we played in the Titans stadium in 2000 if that rings a bell.

The last 2 have been good just to get the monkey off of our back. Early 80's Johnnie Jones ran all over them in Nashville. The John Ward "Ran all the way to the state Capitol" quote came from that game. The 1987 game where we trailed by a lot and won 38-35 is probably my favorite. Another notable one was the 1985 30-0 win to clinch the SEC championship.

I was watching the Clark Lea press conference from this week, and the question was asked to him, "What does this rivalry mean to you?". It brought to mind some memories I've had going to these games in the past 15 years. The biggest one that stands out to me is the 2011 game in Neyland. The game was 21 - 21 and headed to overtime. Vanderbilt had the ball 3rd and 6 on the Vols 11 yard line, with Jordan Rodgers in the shotgun. He fired the ball to his RB Wesley Tate, was picked off by #24 Eric Gordon, and ran back for 6. It was chaos! The team gathered in the end zone to celebrate as the fireworks were going off on the river. Everyone was happy, until in good ole Tennessee fashion, it was called back as a "fumble" and they claimed his "knee hit the ground". The boos went off in every section in Neyland stadium. Thankfully, we got the callback and all was right in Big Orange country. That is, for that night at least. What are your favorite Vandy memories?View attachment 414359View attachment 414359

That's the game that someone caught Dooley on video slapping the Power T on the locker room ceiling and saying "If there's one thing Tennessee does, it's beat the s*** out of Vanderbilt.

And then they won 5 of the next 7. OOF.

I watched this as a kid with family from Nashville. It was hilarious.

The sports on the local news in Nashville that night had locker room interviews with both teams and the Tennessee players forgot how much they won by and were joking in the locker room.

The 1998 game when there were 40,000 Tennessee fans wearing Orange in Vandy's 42,000 seat stadium and there were thousands more outside the stadium trying to get in. It was John and Bill's last regular season game on the Vol Network. There was a Big Orange pep rally across the street in Centennial Park and when it ended at least 15-20,000 Orange clad fans marched across West End Ave to Dudley Field.

In the pre-game, with the Vandy band on the field, the PA announcer asked the fans to spell out Vandy and with each letter he announced, the Vols fans spelled out V O L S. It was all Tennessee in a 41-0 rout. Just a speed bump on the way to the National Title. I have never seen a team take over a stadium as completely as the Vols took Dudley Field that day.

The 1998 game when there were 40,000 Tennessee fans wearing Orange in Vandy's 42,000 seat stadium and there were thousands more outside the stadium trying to get in. It was John and Bill's last regular season game on the Vol Network. There was a Big Orange pep rally across the street in Centennial Park and when it ended at least 15-20,000 Orange clad fans marched across West End Ave to Dudley Field.

In the pre-game, with the Vandy band on the field, the PA announcer asked the fans to spell out Vandy and with each letter he announced, the Vols fans spelled out V O L S. It was all Tennessee in a 41-0 rout. Just a speed bump on the way to the National Title. I have never seen a team take over a stadium as completely as the Vols took Dudley Field that day.

I was watching the Clark Lea press conference from this week, and the question was asked to him, "What does this rivalry mean to you?". It brought to mind some memories I've had going to these games in the past 15 years. The biggest one that stands out to me is the 2011 game in Neyland. The game was 21 - 21 and headed to overtime. Vanderbilt had the ball 3rd and 6 on the Vols 11 yard line, with Jordan Rodgers in the shotgun. He fired the ball to his RB Wesley Tate, was picked off by #24 Eric Gordon, and ran back for 6. It was chaos! The team gathered in the end zone to celebrate as the fireworks were going off on the river. Everyone was happy, until in good ole Tennessee fashion, it was called back as a "fumble" and they claimed his "knee hit the ground". The boos went off in every section in Neyland stadium. Thankfully, we got the callback and all was right in Big Orange country. That is, for that night at least. What are your favorite Vandy memories?View attachment 414359View attachment 414359

The 1985 Vandy game comes to mind for a couple of reasons. One we clinched the SEC championship with the 30-0 win, but secondly it was one of the last games I ever went to with my dad. I went to the 86 Sugar Bowl that capped a special season with a big win over Miami. The play that stands out in my mind is a 65 yard draw play that Vandy had that looked like a sure TD but Terry McDaniel came out of nowhere and made the tackle from behind and the defense stood up and preserved the shutout. Beautiful fall day and the Vols played like an SEC champion should against a weaker opponent. The Terry McDaniel play is at about the 14:45 mark of the video. GBO let's crush Vandy!

1974 I was 9 years old my dad took me and my brother to game at Vandy. My dad knew Larry Seivers dad so after game we got to meet Larry before they got on the bus. When the bus pulled off Stanley Morgan looked out the window at us and shot us a peace sign. We shot him one back. That was big time for us. I think the Vols tied them that day.

First game in Neyland was senior day for Manning. I was 7. We beat Vandy 17-10. Vaguely remember the game. Main thing I remember about the day is going to get my first Tennessee hat with my dad before the game. Later got it signed by Fulmer at a camp. Main thing I remember about that game was sitting under the overhang and hearing the stadium pour boos as Vandy took the field.

I have a more clear memory of 2014 at Vandy. The year before they beat us on a BS ball spot and I was there for that too. Stood on the bleachers and sang Rocky Top as all the Candy fans filed out the stadium.

Last edited:
The time Dinardo’s secretary starting screaming at an orange clad wearing young lady who was sitting in front of her ,( definitely in the blue blood section of Vanderbilt Stadium) and they came to blows and the young lady knocked the hell outta her!
Remember him refusing to say that T word or saying that orange team , we beat the brakes of them that year lol

VN Store

Back