Favorite "Vandy" Game Memories?

Vols1498

East TN vol
I was watching the Clark Lea press conference from this week, and the question was asked to him, "What does this rivalry mean to you?". It brought to mind some memories I've had going to these games in the past 15 years. The biggest one that stands out to me is the 2011 game in Neyland. The game was 21 - 21 and headed to overtime. Vanderbilt had the ball 3rd and 6 on the Vols 11 yard line, with Jordan Rodgers in the shotgun. He fired the ball to his RB Wesley Tate, was picked off by #24 Eric Gordon, and ran back for 6. It was chaos! The team gathered in the end zone to celebrate as the fireworks were going off on the river. Everyone was happy, until in good ole Tennessee fashion, it was called back as a "fumble" and they claimed his "knee hit the ground". The boos went off in every section in Neyland stadium. Thankfully, we got the callback and all was right in Big Orange country. That is, for that night at least. What are your favorite Vandy memories?interception.jpginterception.jpg

Attachments

• int 2.jpg
    int 2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 15
1997, Senior Day. Peyton’s last home game. We did the Twist with Chubby Checker at halftime. I always thought it was a world record but apparently Guiness didn’t recognize it.

Reactions: MR_VOL and Vols1498
The year was 2012, I was sitting in Vandy's crummy stadium, Bray was QB, C Patterson was at WR. I remember late in the game watching Vandy underclassmen dancing in the isles of the stadium as Vandy was winning big. I remember thinking I never want to lose to this bunch again.
Not a "Favorite" memory but a painful/real memory that still sticks in my mind.

Reactions: Vols1498
The only two Vanderbilt games I have been to were 2009 and 2011. Guess I chose two good ones to go to. Montario Hardesty and Da’Rick Rogers were beasts in those games.

Beating DiNardo's team 65-0 in '94. I'm hoping for a similarly decisive victory Saturday.
Mine too. That was my first UT game to attend live.

Peyton, Stewart, Hayden (for a little bit, anyway, before he broke his leg), Nash, Kent, Graham, Silvan, Becksvoort, and many more… I mean wow. This team had some amazing talent. So fun to watch.

I’m 23 only been going since I was 5 (2006) so I like to hear all the tales from the glory days

Idk the year but must've been around '91 or 2. Shazzon Bradley was a big ole linebacker from McMinn Co, just across the river from me. I had seen him in person on the high school field multiple times vs my Rhea Co Eagles. He was truly a man among boys. He had a pretty good, but not NFL-type, career for the Vols.

We were pummeling Vandy, what else?, by something like 45-0. We ran a fake field goal and passed it to Bradley (who never played offense or field goal unit) for a TD in his last game. I was at Neyland to see it. Fun times.

OK, y'all help me out. It was in Nashville -- the only "away" game I ever attended, other than LSU ones here in BRouge. I think it was about 2000 give or take a couple yrs. My son was there, born in 93, and I remember him being about a 1st-grader more or less. We beat Vandy pretty handily, and I think it was the year we had LB -- Jason Mitchell ? -- who knocked the crap out of smallish Vandy RB who foolishly tried to run up the middle. So, 2000?

Two games in Nashville one with vandy thought they were going bowling and we won 65 to 0. The other game was with high winds and warm temps where I saw an extra point or field goal start to go through then the wind pushed it back no good

1) 1978- Tennessee was a 14 pt fav. Roommate & I both had $100 bets ($100 neither of us had business betting on a game) on UT. Vandy jumps out ahead & roomy says “I knew better than to bet on them”. I said “l’ll take your $100”. Then Tenn turns the ball over. He’s says “you can have it all”. Then Tennessee proceeds to kick ass rest of the game, wins & covers going away. Final PAT by Tennessee hits the old scoreboard at Dudley and the Vanderbilt name plate falls to the ground. Unbelievable roar by all Vol fans

1991- Dale Carter chases a pre game warmup punt into the Vandy team. A complete brawl begins in the north end zone in front of the UT entrance. I tell my wife “Tennessee is gonna beat the dog$hit outta them”. They did something like 42-0.

1994- Tennessee sends the coach who couldn’t say Tennessee out 65-0.

VN Store

Back