Favorite Tim Priest calls

volsknx

The only people who dislike winners are losers!
He has had many over the years for the Vol-Network. He is such a passionate fan and former player!

What are/is some of your most memorable calls and/or sayings?

The one that jumps out to me first is:

Tim Priest Sounds Off on Vols' Goal Line Play-Calling | Rocky Top Insider

It is funny now but most of us were not only thinking the same thing but saying it with him "damm!t"! Or, we were saying worse!

Reactions: GordonC and TJVol95
It was his sighs:

"Florida are 3rd and 5, the running back is stopped in the backfield....wait a minute there is a flag on the play" OFFSIDE DEFENSE, 5 YARD PENALTY, 1ST DOWN, Then you would get a great big Oh. It was pure frustration that we all felt.

Happy retirement Tim and thank you for keeping me royally informed 4,000 miles away.

I’ll miss Tim’s honesty. I suspect Pat Ryan will be the same. I loved listening to Pat on Titan games. I learned so much listening to him. He will be outstanding and honest. Vol fans have been spoiled over the past 50+ years. Anderson, Priest and Ryan are top level.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I liked the post-game interview with the kicker who the Vols had to call to come to the game when the others were injured. Think this was under Dooley. Think he asked him what made him different and I think the kicker (Brodus?) replied "I`m not white?"

Funny story from David Ubben interview of Priest-

After the UF game 2001

"We were at that small airport in Gainesville about midnight, about to get on the plane to fly back. I’m standing next to Will Ofenheusle, who was our starting tackle, about 6-foot-8. I looked up at him and said, “Will, they say there’s 5,000 students at the track on campus waiting for you to get back to celebrate. Now, don’t do something that’ll get you arrested tonight.”

He said, “Mr. Priest, they won’t arrest us tonight.”

I think it was the Troy game in Dooley's last year. We could do nothing to slow down their offense at all. After using it what seemed like 20 times successfully, one time when Troy's offense came back on the field Tim dryly asked Bob, "I wonder if they'll run that draw again?" It was hilarious. Mercifully the Vols won despite giving up 700+ yards to Troy. But Tim's way of way of saying "this defensive performance sucks" without saying "this defensive performance sucks" was beautiful.

The dammit one was my favorite. I said s**t at the same time he said it 😂. We have had some of the most bonehead/unfortunate plays around the goal line in our history but I think that sequence of plays takes the cake:
  • 1st & Goal at FLA 1
    (8:13 - 3rd) Quinten Dormady pass incomplete to Marquez Callaway
  • 2nd & Goal at FLA 1
    (8:13 - 3rd) FLORIDA Penalty, Unsportsmanlike Conduct ( Yards) to the Fla 1 for a 1ST down
  • 1st & Goal at FLA 1
    (8:13 - 3rd) TENNESSEE Penalty, False Start (Jack Jones) to the Fla 5
  • 1st & Goal at FLA 5
    (8:09 - 3rd) Quinten Dormady pass incomplete to Josh Palmer
  • 2nd & Goal at FLA 5
    (8:00 - 3rd) Quinten Dormady pass complete to John Kelly for a loss of 1 yard to the Fla 6
  • 3rd & Goal at FLA 6
    (7:21 - 3rd) Quinten Dormady pass intercepted Duke Dawson return for no gain to the Fla 1

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Funny story from David Ubben interview of Priest-

After the UF game 2001

"We were at that small airport in Gainesville about midnight, about to get on the plane to fly back. I’m standing next to Will Ofenheusle, who was our starting tackle, about 6-foot-8. I looked up at him and said, “Will, they say there’s 5,000 students at the track on campus waiting for you to get back to celebrate. Now, don’t do something that’ll get you arrested tonight.”

He said, “Mr. Priest, they won’t arrest us tonight.”
Best football game I have ever seen in person, still remember that night walking out of the swamp victorious with my dad, no feeling like it. But sadly I was also in Atlanta one week later, most devastating loss in my memory

Best football game I have ever seen in person, still remember that night walking out of the swamp victorious with my dad, no feeling like it. But sadly I was also in Atlanta one week later, most devastating loss in my memory

It was eerily quiet walking out of the swamp that night. What a great game! I remember meeting some friends back at the Sawgrass Marriott and we partied for hours!

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
I believe it was during the now infamous Ga St game when at one point Tim calmly asked Kessling "Bob, I don't really understand this new 2-5 defense scheme Tennessee is running with only two downed linemen, do you?"

Pretty much summed up that game.
Tim will be surely missed as he kept Bob on track a lot of time, but I think Pat Ryan will make an excellent replacement.

VN Store

Back