Favorite Tennessee quarterback not named Peyton?

I am certainly glad that we had the pleasure of watching Condredge work his magic while clad in orange and white. However, he would have been absolutely phenomenal as a wishbone quarterback. The wishbone was the rage when Condredge was playing and Texas, Oklahoma and Alabama all won one or more national championships running that offense. Nebraska didn't technically run a wishbone but they bludgeoned people to death with a power running attack that heavily featured the option and the quarterback as a running threat.

Condredge also benefited from playing in the tear-away jersey era.

I remember that like it was yesterday. I agree.

And Rick was not a bad QB, he had a good enough arm, he just had terrible mechanics for a lefty. I wanted to
commit Hari Kari everytime I'd see him step right and make (or try to make) a deep throw to the left sideline.
It was maddening. But that TD throw against LSU he stood in there an zinged it, it was a thing of beauty.

That was the thing...he didn't have a good arm OR EVEN AN AVERAGE ONE. In the Georgia game that year, they pressed ahead on defense and dared RC to beat them deep...he couldn't! That was the game where I saw what his fatal flaw was...and so did the rest of the teams on the schedule. It was tragic because he had mastered the offense waves ahead of Ainge, and he was calm, collected and savvy...just not physically capable to take advantage of it.

Reactions: 1 person
Thread asked for favorite Tennessee QB not named Peyton. I have watched all of them since 1965. I named Condredge Holloway; he made plays happen.

I feel the need to expand on my Andy Kelly pick. The thing I will always remember is watching him throw the long ball. It had as much to do with his receiving corps as him. But, every time he threw the ball deep...I expected a touchdown. As I said I was a wee lad. But, I've never felt that way about another QB in football. Nostalgia? Probably, and I don't care.

If I were to remove the wide eyed child from the equation, it's Casey Clausen. Beating Florida in the swamp is a delicacy Tennessee hasn't tasted in far too long. I will never forget watching "The Iceman" directing the band after beating the gators in their house. I'm almost afraid to talk about it. I don't want to jinx us.

Memo to CBJ: Maybe you should get Casey to come to a game this year.

Would Peyton have been any greater in a tear-away jersey?

Doesnt detract from Holloway's brilliance.

I doubt it. Peyton was a drop back, pocket passer. Condredge was a 5'9", run or pitch first elusive scrambler with a nice arm that didn't have to go up against huge, blazing fast defenders. The tear away jersey was a huge benefit for Condredge. Condredge was a great athlete... he was probably a better baseball player than football player. He came to TN at nearly the perfect time/era for himself and TN. Too bad he wasn't a year older or eligible as a freshman though.

I think that Streater was more skilled than Condredge, but Condredge was first and also is a high character guy. CH was also smart and made great decisions for that era of football. Both CH and JS came along as Bama Bill was Peter Principling out as a football coach.

Perhaps, but I doubt if he benefited anymore than any other running quarterback of that era.

There weren't any like him then. There were some that ran a lot, but in a more structured system... more like fullbacks following blocks. Condredge was more of a wide open, free style, draw up plays in the dirt improvising QB.

My top 10 in chronological order:

Dewey Warren
Bobby Scott
Condredge Holloway
Jimmy Streater
Alan Cockrell
Tony Robinson
Andy Kelly
Heath Shuler
Peyton Manning
Tee Martin
Casey Clausen
Erik Ainge
Brent Shaffer
Tyler Bray

That's 14, so I'll drop Tee, Brent, and Tyler. I'm struggling to cut another favorite and make it 10 instead of 11. It's probably between Bobby Scott, Alan Cockrell, and Andy Kelly. Maybe I'll knock out Cockrell because his devastating knee injury limited his playing time.

My question is: Who is your favorite quarterback NOT named Peyton Manning? Why are they your favorite? And what is your fondest memory of said quarterback?

Heath Shuler. He was my favorite before Manning and I still believe he is the second best QB we have had. He could run and could make every throw. My fondest memory is the 1992 Georgia game. The 4th and 14 throw is probably tied with Clausen's strike against Alabama on 4th down on the all time Tennessee QB clutch meter. He is my all-time favorite Democrat followed closely by Andrew Jackson.

Reactions: 2 people
I feel the need to expand on my Andy Kelly pick. The thing I will always remember is watching him throw the long ball. It had as much to do with his receiving corps as him. But, every time he threw the ball deep...I expected a touchdown. As I said I was a wee lad. But, I've never felt that way about another QB in football. Nostalgia? Probably, and I don't care.

If I were to remove the wide eyed child from the equation, it's Casey Clausen. Beating Florida in the swamp is a delicacy Tennessee hasn't tasted in far too long. I will never forget watching "The Iceman" directing the band after beating the gators in their house. I'm almost afraid to talk about it. I don't want to jinx us.

Memo to CBJ: Maybe you should get Casey to come to a game this year.

Casey was at at least one game last year. He might have been the Vol Legend that day.

Andy Kelly simply knew how to win. He really managed the offense extremely well. If only that near game winning pass to Carl Pickens against Notre Dame would have had just a little more air under it...

Heath Shuler. He was my favorite before Manning and I still believe he is the second best QB we have had. He could run and could make every throw. My fondest memory is the 1992 Georgia game. The 4th and 14 throw is probably tied with Clausen's strike against Alabama on 4th down on the all time Tennessee QB clutch meter. He is my all-time favorite Democrat followed closely by Andrew Jackson.

My first in game memory of Heath was when he was doing mop up duty as a freshman. He went around left end around mid-field moving TN toward the north end zone at Neyland. There was a huge collision between Shuler and a defender. Heath jumped right up totally un-phased and ran right back to the huddle. Plus he's not too liberal for a democrat.

After seeing Peyton on Letterman this week, and likely because of the lack of any real football, I was thinking about all of the great Tennessee quarterbacks I've watched play during my lifetime.

My question is: Who is your favorite quarterback NOT named Peyton Manning? Why are they your favorite? And what is your fondest memory of said quarterback?

I'm certain we'll get a lot of Tee Martin votes, but I didn't want to exclude him from the discussion.

Our younger members may not have as many choices, obviously, but our older guys---I'm anxious to read what you all come up with, and the reasons why.

I hope everyone is having a great Friday!

(And for those interested, don't forget to watch the Lady Vols softball team in the Super Regional today at 4:00. Game thread is in the Lady Vols forum.)

T Rob.

When I think of Casey, one of the games that always pops into my mind is the 2001 Citrus Bowl rout of Michigan.

My favorite memory of Casey is when scored the winning TD at Notre Dame, got up and pointed at the coaches box.

He wanted to go to ND, but was told he was not a D-1 quarterback. To make it funnier to me, he looked like an octopus falling out of a tree when he scored.

Heath Shuler is my next favorite. I always felt like we had chance when he was leading the team.

Heath Shuler is my next favorite. I always felt like we had chance when he was leading the team.
For me, toss the dice between Dewey Warren, Condredge Holloway, & Peyton Manning ... So far.

I'm a Clausen fan and he was a road warrior. But one game that taints my memory of him was the home Game vs FL when he fumbled like three snaps in a row In the rain. We where like #2 and they rocked us hard that day.

VN Store

Back