Favorite Single Play(s)

98 Florida, FL missed field goal. My dad and I were in xx2. Saw the wave of jumping fans start from the left side of the goal post to all over the stadium. My dad and I started jumping up and down hugging each other. My dad doesn't attend games anymore due to ringing in his ears and the pitch of the crowd noise makes it louder. One memory/play I will cherish forever.

8669726.jpg

All good ones but Darrin Miller's interception of a pitchout for a touchdown against Iowa in 1987 at the Meadowlands will always be number 1 with me. I was at that game and the heat being reflected off that concrete field back into the stands almost melted me.

It took a long while before I was able to hear John Wards call of that play. Still brings tears to my eyes.

Holy shiz-nitz! Another classic!!!!! Well done!

98 Florida, FL missed field goal. My dad and I were in xx2. Saw the wave of jumping fans start from the left side of the goal post to all over the stadium. My dad and I started jumping up and down hugging each other. My dad doesn't attend games anymore due to ringing in his ears and the pitch of the crowd noise makes it louder. One memory/play I will cherish forever.

That is one of the most frustrating things about attending the game in person, IMO. If you have a side view angle of the uprights it is hard to tell if the FG was good.

Reactions: VOLCENTS1985
A game that often goes unmentioned is the '91 Auburn game. UT and Auburn used to play every year and with USC and Ark joining the SEC in '92 it meant the annual game with Auburn would go to the wayside. Andy Kelly and Carl Pickens had a hell of a game.

Opening drive of the 2nd half Kelly hit Pickens for 87 yards on the opening play of the 2nd half for the Vols.

Sheer wizzardry! What a night at Legion Field.

I was working in Knoxville and my brother was in law school in Memphis and we met in Atlanta that Friday night before the Bama game because we had NLCS tickets for the Braves vs. Reds. I think it was game 3. Maddux pitched. Anyway, we drove in the fog towards B'ham after the game. Got some sh*t-hole hotel room after we couldn't see anymore. Spent the day tailgating and after the game he found a ride back to Memphis.

I remember driving back and picking up the News Sentinel the following morning and reading the paper while I had coffee back at my place in Lenoir City before passing out!

Reactions: livefaith
I think I've seen everyone post the top ones but I wasnt alive when Condrige made that run against GA Tech...but man that was awesome. Other honorable mentions for me:
Shaun Ellis fumble recovery against Aub
Aaron Hayden screen pass at ND
Patterson sweep run against GA
Manning to Copeland grab against Bama 97'
Deon Grant int against UF
Goodrich pick six in NC game
Paul Bain---GA Tech block :)

Hands down for me, First play TD, Manning to Kent.....will never forget !

This all day. The rout was on literally from the first second of the game. I remember as a young kid getting so nervous for this game every year. After that play I leaned back on the couch with my hands behind my head and didn’t stop grinning for the next 3 hours.

Good grief! There are so many...some already mentioned.

T-Rob's 2 point conv. '84 vs. Bama.

The pass to Tim McGee vs Auburn in '85 was a classic.

Also, Manning's roll-out vs UGA in '96 with the TD pass was legendary.

Shuler's pass to Davis in '92 on 4th down.

Reggie Cobb's run vs. Auburn in '89.

Mose Phillips vs. UF in '92...checking his watch!

Aaron Hayden on the screen pass vs ND in '91.

Ainge to Meachem vs. Cal in '06.

Manning to Nash in the SEC CG in '97

Nice to see a mention for Mose Phillips in there. One of my all time favorites.

Another...basically any time CWebb touched the ball in the Cotton Bowl.

Our seats were in the corner of the end zone - looked like he was running right to us. I know there have been bigger ones - but this one is my favorite by far. Jay Graham 96 vs Alabama

Me and a Bama fan that gave me tix were in the corner on the other side of the EZ. Pretty sweet play ... for me.

One of the greatest individual plays I ever saw was 86' Bama. Now their running game killed us that day w toss sweeps and we lost 56-28iirc. But, we had some sick pass plays and long TDs. But, on one play the QB threw it high on a deep crossing route and some speedy receiver leaped what looked like 4' in the air to snag it, Bama DBs cut his legs and hit him and spun him before he smacked that cement tartan turf, but he held on! ... then they called the play back on a hold or something. Anyway, I've never forgotten that incredible catch from on of those great receivers (Hancock?) back then. Anyone remember that?

Martin to Price TD.
Goodrich pick six.

Without those, it would be over 50 years without a legit natty.

I think I've seen everyone post the top ones but I wasnt alive when Condrige made that run against GA Tech...but man that was awesome. Other honorable mentions for me:
Shaun Ellis fumble recovery against Aub
Aaron Hayden screen pass at ND
Patterson sweep run against GA
Manning to Copeland grab against Bama 97'
Deon Grant int against UF
Goodrich pick six in NC game
Paul Bain---GA Tech block :)

Painful era. But that had to be one of the most phenomenal plays I've ever seen made in O&W! Right up there with Condredge v GT and Mose Philips breaking 9 tackles v USCjr.

Dale Jones hitting Bo Jackson, bo didn’t come back in game I think.Remember watching the game but not the exact play, it was also in sports illustrated they came to do a story on bo but was more impressed with jones.

Me and a Bama fan that gave me tix were in the corner on the other side of the EZ. Pretty sweet play ... for me.

One of the greatest individual plays I ever saw was 86' Bama. Now their running game killed us that day w toss sweeps and we lost 56-28iirc. But, we had some sick pass plays and long TDs. But, on one play the QB threw it high on a deep crossing route and some speedy receiver leaped what looked like 4' in the air to snag it, Bama DBs cut his legs and hit him and spun him before he smacked that cement tartan turf, but he held on! ... then they called the play back on a hold or something. Anyway, I've never forgotten that incredible catch from on of those great receivers (Hancock?) back then. Anyone remember that?
Yeah, UT got they ass whooped that day. All I really remember from that day were the orange shoes UT wore...later wound up in Russia.

Reactions: livefaith

VN Store

Back