Favorite defensive series of all time??

So many to pick from, but what jumps out to me, was I think the final stop against KY in the 4th overtime stopping a two-point conversion to win the game. My God what a roller coaster of emotions that game.

Another fun filled time was 2014 at South Cackalacky in OT. Following a great comeback by Dobbs and Co in regulation, we were held to a FG on our OT possession. It didn't look great for the Vols at 45-42 and the Cocks had their OT possession. But, Barnett and Maggit took turns sacking the QB, and the game ended with Spurrier sending out his kicker who was woefully short from about 60 yards. I nearly froze at that game, and I think I had a frozen smile on my face during the entire drive back to TN.

This one came to my mind right away. Maybe not quite iconic as '98 Florida for me but it came at a time when, dang, we could use a decent win. When Maggit got that sack I was going nuts.

Reactions: VolsSince78
1998 vs Arkansas, something to do with a stumbling fumbling QB. It's the most iconic play in Tennessee football history I feel although Herschel running over Bates sadly is a close 2nd :)

Dale Carter's interception that setup Tennessee's go ahead score.

The defense really stepped up, in the second half. But, what stands out most,to me, was the poise and patience of the offensive play calling. They knew they were going to break Notre Dame's defense, eventually. Never had a doubt. They just picked them apart.

Reactions: maotai
The defense really stepped up, in the second half. But, what stands out most,to me, was the poise and patience of the offensive play calling. They knew they were going to break Notre Dame's defense, eventually. Never had a doubt. They just picked them apart.

Yes, Fulmer played that next series perfectly. After being aggressive and "getting yards in chunks" he realized ND's defense was getting overly aggressive and caught them twice in the perfect play.

That miracle at south bend was amazing. 1 was 14 in 1991. Many of the others were amazing moments too...I hate that my 2 kids have never seen a dominant UT football program like I had growing up. Try as they might, we just havent been able to get the job done in their lifetimes.

Kentucky last season made me feel like these other games did when we had that goal line stand to win. Feels like CJP has the hard nosed toughness and grit to make us a force again. Our defense and Olines are legit...for the 1st time in a decade. All we need is an average SEC caliber QB under center, and we will establish UT as a team that nobody wants to play anymore.

Hope springs eternal. Go VOLS.

At Bama 2003. Down 7, 2 minutes left, we have three timeouts. Bama has first and 10 in their own territory. Bama breaks long run to midfield on 1st down. But holding penalty after 19 yards. Fulmer takes penalty. 10 yard from spot of foul makes it 1st and 1 for a first down. Defense stuffs Bama for no gain three plays in a row as we burn all our timeouts. Bama punts on 4th and 1 to our 20 and Casey takes them 80 yards to tie in about 90 seconds with no timeouts. The rest is the five overtime history. I was pretty mad at the time for Fulmer taken that penalty because 1st and 10 for Bama at midfield was a whole lot better for us than 1st and 1 further back. But it worked out.

VN Store

Back