Favorite defensive series of all time??

So many good candidates already mentioned, but for me it's gotta be at Auburn in 98'. Four downs inside the 1 yard line and the D didn't let em in. Raynoch Thompson bustin chops ! The Auburn fans around us (who were already asshats) were livid. It was glorious !

Another fun filled time was 2014 at South Cackalacky in OT. Following a great comeback by Dobbs and Co in regulation, we were held to a FG on our OT possession. It didn't look great for the Vols at 45-42 and the Cocks had their OT possession. But, Barnett and Maggit took turns sacking the QB, and the game ended with Spurrier sending out his kicker who was woefully short from about 60 yards. I nearly froze at that game, and I think I had a frozen smile on my face during the entire drive back to TN.

This was the first thing that came to me, definitely my favorite single series I can think of in my life (Casey Clausen and Mahelona being my earliest Vol memories as a kid). I was losing hope, but that series was exactly what we needed when we needed it. To have their game winning drive start in FG range and end OUT of FG range... Talk about your defense really taking the game into their own hands!

I was thinking of the amazing Sal Sunseri Defensive plan that was put together to combat the juggernaut of an offense that Troy brought to town.

Florida game, 2016

We had just taken the lead on the Jennings Tabor Burn long TD, and the first play of the successive Florida drive was when our D-Line collapsed the pocket, blew up the play, caused Appleby to run around like a headless chicken, then TKJr picked him off.

We then scored AGAIN 3 plays later on the Malone TD

I think we tied. I was there. I was a student then but may not remember correctly. But Majors and Dye could end a game in a tie frequently

UT 38
Auburn 20

I was there. One heck of a game. Someone tied some orange and white balloons onto a rubber chicken and it floated over the south end zone. Great day to be a VOL....

GO VOLS!!!!

When we played Auburn in 1999, the very first play of the game was a Pick-Six by Deon Grant. I was a freshman at UT and will never forget how crazy the crowd was after that play.

Tennessee @ LSU 2010. Our goal line stand with 14 players on the field. Epic.

2005 Jonathan Hefney’s 4th quarter interception against #4 LSU to get us back in the game. I believe he returned it to the 3 yard line.

We’d been down 24-7 but that play, which followed a Vol TD, put us back in the game. We went in to win in OT.

Reactions: lukeneyland
How about November 9, 1991 and the blocked field goal attempt that allowed the VOLS a come back victory (35-34) over the leprechauns.....aka The Miracle at South Bend.
That's what I came to say.

Down 31-7 before coming back to take a 35-34 lead.

45 seconds left in the 4QT. ND driving, 2nd & 11 inside our 20.

2nd down, R. Mirer rolls left and fires incomplete down the left sideline.

3rd down, R. Mirer QB keeper up the middle for 8 yards.

ND let's the clock wind down before calling timeout, sends out the FG team.

Jeremy Lincoln with the block! ! ! ! !

UT WINS

UT 38
Auburn 20

I was there. One heck of a game. Someone tied some orange and white balloons onto a rubber chicken and it floated over the south end zone. Great day to be a VOL....

GO VOLS!!!!
What year?

VN Store

Back