Favorite alcoholic beverage

At our tailgate tomorrow, various beers will be present (I prefer Shiner Bock), while the whiskeys on tap will be some variety of Weller, Four Roses, Michters Rye and either Makers or WT Rare Breed.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
When I was a Freshman at UT in 1975, I snuck in some Jim Beam to the games. I would take a sip of my Sprite and pour some Jim Beam in. It looked like weak Iced Tea.

By the time I was a senior in 1987, ooooops, 1979, I snuck in some Jim Beam, poured out half my Sprite, and my cup looked like a Pepsi Cola.

1634352771978.png

Reactions: VolDorado
Did a blind taste test a few years ago with 3 bourbon fans. We had Blanton's, 4 Roses, Angel's Envy, Eagle Rare, and Jim Beam (white), just to see if any of us might rate Beam higher than any of the premium brands. All three of us picked Beam #2. We were all really surprised. Blanton's came in 3rd to 4th on every card (haven't bought Blanton's since). IMO, it's hard to beat Jim Beam Black. If you haven't done a blind taste test, I suggest you do one. It might save you a lot of money! But, everyone's tastes are different.

My bourbon/whisky stock is now Beam Black, Noah's Mill, Willett, Maker's cask strength, Pure Kentucky and Old Bardstown. All except Beam bought on the KY Bourbon Trail. Also have Tullamore Dew Original and rum cask Irish whiskey. All are unique and pretty dang good.
Totally agree on the blinds….:most people that say they like Blantons rarely choose it very high in a blind. Love the Makers Cask (very underappreciated) but I do not like the Pure Kentucky XO. Was expecting more from a 12 year old, but maybe I’ve just had a bad batch and need to try it again. I typically favor wheated bourbons but absolutely love Michters Rye (although I think their bourbon is a bit lacking). I feel towards Evan Williams they way you describe Beam Black….I used to call it the poor mans Makers….

Did a blind taste test a few years ago with 3 bourbon fans. We had Blanton's, 4 Roses, Angel's Envy, Eagle Rare, and Jim Beam (white), just to see if any of us might rate Beam higher than any of the premium brands. All three of us picked Beam #2. We were all really surprised. Blanton's came in 3rd to 4th on every card (haven't bought Blanton's since). IMO, it's hard to beat Jim Beam Black. If you haven't done a blind taste test, I suggest you do one. It might save you a lot of money! But, everyone's tastes are different.

My bourbon/whisky stock is now Beam Black, Noah's Mill, Willett, Maker's cask strength, Pure Kentucky and Old Bardstown. All except Beam bought on the KY Bourbon Trail. Also have Tullamore Dew Original and rum cask Irish whiskey. All are unique and pretty dang good.

This is my go to as of lately. That or WT 101.

IMG_20211015_230345.jpg

Never heard "beer on liquor never sicker". Always heard it as "liquor on beer, never fear. Beer on whisky, mighty risky". Both work

We always said liquor before beer, never fear, beer before liquor, never sicker. When I first started drinking I thought the order actually mattered. But then I realized it means that if you get drunk on beer and then switch to downing liquor, chances are you’re going to drink much liquor than you realize and get sick. Conversely, drink the liquor first and then switch to beer and you’re probably not going to accidentally over drink.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
We always said liquor before beer, never fear, beer before liquor, never sicker. When I first started drinking I thought the order actually mattered. But then I realized it means that if you get drunk on beer and then switch to downing liquor, chances are you’re going to drink much liquor than you realize and get sick. Conversely, drink the liquor first and then switch to beer and you’re probably not going to accidentally over drink.
Actually it does matter because the liquid volume you drink of liquor behind beer is insignificant to the beers you may drink following liquor. It's about stomach capacity and timing. Power drinking in either order will make you sick. Eating a good meal a couple of hours before partaking always lessens the likelihood of hangover/ sickness, as I'm sure you know

Spent a lot of time in Houston growing up. Became a fan of Oilers, Astros and Rockets. Pretty cool for me that Oilers moved to Nashville

Same here. The Oilers moved to TN the same year I did. Still an Astros and Rockets fan to this day. I really wasn't into college football until my family moved here. Been a Vols fan ever since

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Start off with something light like a blood orange mule (Pickers Blood Orange, Gosling’s Diet Ginger Beer, and a splash of Nellie & Joe’s Key Lime) then onto the Dalmore 15 neat.

So looking forward to tomorrow. Another Friday night of no sleep.
#GBO

I’ve backed off my alcohol intake for UT games these past few years, but tomorrow may be an exception. Usually, I like trying new things so I have a few new beers to have tomorrow and the quality of bourbon depends on a win or loss.

Evan Williams white label (bottled in bond ) or Old Grandad . Plain old Budweiser in a can for a chaser

VN Store

Back