Fall Scrimmages 2018

I’m trying to figure out this lineup! I’m sure Charleston will be starting somewhere in the OF. The coaches seem to love Z. Daniel so it will be hard to keep him on the bench. Andre is sure to start somewhere, but where? Catcher looks wide open. Lots of options at 1b. Martinez and Pence will probably be starting somewhere. Lots of competition for all spots. The days of starting just because no one else is available for a particular position (1b, catcher, 3b, 2b, LF etc) is gone.

There’s definitely more options now. If Charleston is going to play predominantly in the outfield, I wonder if Andre is getting looks at 2nd. Martinez is your SS assuming he is living up to his billing as a stud defender.

Reactions: RollerVol
Thanks for the insight. Did Gray or Pavolony start behind the dish? Where was Soulaire playing? Who did you think was the most impressive newcomer at the plate and on the mound?

Game 1 Pete Derkay started at catcher and looked very good. Believe both Pavlony and Landon Gray has an inning or two also. I like all of them. I think it was Nico that started the second game but not positive, especially with the injuries and all that going on. On the mound Sewell looked good. Ferguson and Lipscomb look like the real deals. I didn’t see any newcomers that looked like they didn’t belong there. All have impressed me. Interesting to see who is cut, redshirted or whatever he plans to do with them. I counted 47 but I may have been off some. Lots of good players will be sitting this season to get to 35.

There’s definitely more options now. If Charleston is going to play predominantly in the outfield, I wonder if Andre is getting looks at 2nd. Martinez is your SS assuming he is living up to his billing as a stud defender.

Martinez played 2nd and SS today I believe. Trying to remember him batting but can’t recall seeing him.

Game 1 Pete Derkay started at catcher and looked very good. Believe both Pavlony and Landon Gray has an inning or two also. I like all of them. I think it was Nico that started the second game but not positive, especially with the injuries and all that going on. On the mound Sewell looked good. Ferguson and Lipscomb look like the real deals. I didn’t see any newcomers that looked like they didn’t belong there. All have impressed me. Interesting to see who is cut, redshirted or whatever he plans to do with them. I counted 47 but I may have been off some. Lots of good players will be sitting this season to get to 35.
Awesome thanks again. Man if Derkay can win that job that would help a ton. I was thinking there is a log jam in the 1B /DH role. I know Derkays bat is there just didn’t know defensively. Great to hear he looks good.

Luc L also looked very good today in the field (1b) and at the plate.
Forgot about Rucker! He looks the part too. Man, the more I think about the talent we have the more excited I get for the season. We will not be the laughingstocks of the league anymore. Guaranteed!

Last edited:
Glad to hear those young men are ok. What I think we learned is that the returning players have improved and the level of depth UT has now is vastly improved. Zero errors in 10 innings. Make no mistake, that was far from an SEC caliber team that UT play on Sunday. GSU front line pitching was good, but looks they will struggle in the bullpen.

Awesome thanks again. Man if Derkay can win that job that would help a ton. I was thinking there is a log jam in the 1B /DH role. I know Derkays bat is there just didn’t know defensively. Great to hear he looks good.

If Derkay wins that spot then we have other issues. Like the catchers we recruited stink.
I like Pete but we need not only defense behind the pitching but we need BATS.

it seems it's all coming together for a very interesting season...once again...we're getting closer...:D

GO VOLS...BEAT BAMA!

PS. thanks for "all" the updates...very nice!

Anyone at O/W game 1? Twitter not showing rosters, who is pitching...anything.

Nevermind. Twitter now showing. Looks like starters were Hunley and Crochet and both shut the other team down for 5 inn. Solid.

Reactions: TX2TN
I wasn’t there, but didn’t see any tweets about errors. I did see comments on dominant pitching and good defense. I bet the bats break out in the next couple days.

one error in 15 innings. It was great pitching and defense. The hitting will come around, but may have to be a small ball team. This staff has done a great job in increasing the depth and the competitiveness. My bet is the starting lineup will vary throughout the early spring until some of the young men separate themselves.

fore the record, I never saw a roster for the O/W Series therefore I elected not to do a Pick'em.......not sure a rooster would have helped much anyway with all the new unknown talent.

one error in 15 innings. It was great pitching and defense. The hitting will come around, but may have to be a small ball team. This staff has done a great job in increasing the depth and the competitiveness. My bet is the starting lineup will vary throughout the early spring until some of the young men separate themselves.

small ball...you serious...shades of Coach Serrano...please, not again...is that a death knoll I hear...:D

GO VOLS!

Reactions: NorCalVol67

VN Store

Back