Extreme Weather Games

My grandfather (RIP Joe) Said K state and some Nebraska bowls in the day had awful weather! Probably 70s/80s

yeah it was 2002 - like 7 fumbled snaps in the 1st half
Yea I was at that game too, Clausen if I remember correctly fumbled 3 straight snaps on their 20 yard line and we kicked a FG. God that was a miserable game.

Let’s not talk about it. That game still bothers me to this day. It was my first Florida game. That was supposed to be our game where we started our dominance post Spurrier. Still pisses me off .

That was the lighting game right? Where the Vols came out really hot and then they stopped the game for what seemed like forever and then Oregon came out and took us to the woodshed?

Yes, the game was close, the rain delay slowed Tn down and then came the penalties. One pass interference right before halftime was the turning point in the game. Back then we still played with a little attitude and swear our DB's would get one pass interference call, argue then go destroy some receiver just to prove a point.

Ga game is my case and point. Berry and company destroyed ga receivers green and some dude i can't remember. He played in the NFL.

Reactions: JettVol
92 Florida in the deluge. Mose Phillips taking it to the house in the rain.

I was at that game. One of my best Vol memories. We were sitting under the VOLS sign and it rained so hard you could barely see the other end of Neyland.

I also remember one corner of the field getting showered by plastic cups from the student section in the second half, but never heard a reason why.

I was in Fayetteville in 2001 for the Vols - Hogs game. I remember having to evacuate the bleachers 2 or 3 times due to thunderstorms.

Travis Stephens was an absolute beast in that game. 41 carries and over 200 yards. It’s a shame it gets overshadowed by his Florida performance because he was unstoppable in that Arkansas game.

That was freaking hot. We were on row one in DD or EE. Sports center updated Smokey’s condition nightly.
I was there too. Was young and well acclimated, so my friends and I just kept adding more bourbon to our cokes while older folks dropped around us. Met a sweet little coed from Brentwood while helping her friend get some water. Also recall May's coming off the field puking. I asked him about it a few years ago, and he said a yellow jacket was trapped in his helmet and stung him five times.

Coldest I've ever been was the '84 (I think) Liberty Bowl with Notre Dame vs. Boston College.

'96 Florida game sucked to high Heaven... and it was a constant rain from start to finish. I was at the '94 game at Vandy and Ronnie Milsap (yes, you read that correctly; millenials can Google him) was right behind me. Brutal cold, wind, and had rained earlier so the seats were frozen with ice. Ronnie Milsap looks at me (pun intended) and says, "My ass is frozen to the seat." True story. We balled that day though, so boom!
He certainly wasn't watching the game.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Homecoming 06 vs Marshall. The river was going crazy, and you couldn't see anything.
If I remember correctly, the game itself wasn't that bad, but the day leading up to it was horrible. My umbrella at the patio of Calhoun's collapsed and flooded my nachos before the game..

I was there too. Was young and well acclimated, so my friends and I just kept adding more bourbon to our cokes while older folks dropped around us. Met a sweet little coed from Brentwood while helping her friend get some water. Also recall May's coming off the field puking. I asked him about it a few years ago, and he said a yellow jacket was trapped in his helmet and stung him five times.

Coldest I've ever been was the '84 (I think) Liberty Bowl with Notre Dame vs. Boston College.

I was at that Liberty Bowl game also. Thought my toes were going to fall off five minutes into the game. My buddy left our free tickets at his house so we ended up buying from scalpers.

We all remember the absolute monsoon to start the second half against LSU in 2017.

I remember sitting in the stands with my dad and one of his coworkers that game...it may have been in part due to the after-effects of the tailgate festivities, but I noted that the wind-blown rain was swirling around the stadium in a circular fashion, and I pointed this out to Dad and quipped "It's as if we've finally flushed Botch Jones".

Another one that stands out was the Montana game (2011, I think). I remember the storm flying down from the mountains and being herded into the concourses with everyone else. The wind was blowing a substantial amount of rain into the concourses, and there were two comely Montana ladies next to me near the outside railing gettign absolutely soaked, so I extended an offer to shield them with my rain shell...it was the least I could do.

Reactions: Aesius
92 Florida in the deluge. Mose Phillips taking it to the house in the rain.

That's the most memorable to me. That was my wedding day! All the groomsmen were in the back of the church drinking peppermint schnaps and watching this little portable black and white TV I had brought. The assistant to the photographer was listening to the game on a radio with an earplug, and once the pictures got started he would give us hand signals as to what was happening. We scored a TD and he gave the paper football goal post symbol, and we all started giving each other high fives! Good memories!!!

Oregon game in Knoxville. We were trapped in the stadium as people jammed the concourses. No way to get out. Just hunkered down inside our cheap ponchos and held on (in the upper deck) for dear life.

Wellllll, way back in 58 (I think) at the old Crump Stadium in Memphis, the game started in low gray clouds, strong wind from the NW and temp in the 40's. Got worse, snowed (real fine) for most of the game. (was sitting on the south side about half way up, (low even at the top) snow and wind whipped around the north bleachers (really bleachers) all afternoon. Needless to say temp feel all afternoon. To make things worse our highly ranked team fell just like the temp. Got beat by an Ole Miss team something like 34 to 3(?). Bad day.....

Yeah, My son and I were at the 2015 game vs Bowling Green. The first half took over 2 hours and there was a weather delay. My son was 12 yrs old at the time and we left after the 3rd quarter as it was so hot and humid.

My first Vol game ever was in 1992 vs in the monsoon vs Florida. I was a transfer student from Roanoke, VA and was hooked on UT football immediately upon entering Neyland that afternoon.
What a day!
I suffered through the first half and a few minutes of the third, couldn't stand it any longer (the game not the weather) went to the car. My oldest stayed the course. On the way home I told him that was the last game I would attend at least until the team acted like they cared..... Now may be too old to go. Too fer and snakey.

Arkansas 1998. Pretty much rained the entire game, and it was hot and miserable. Up until the "stumble fumble" it felt like Tennessee was going to let another season get away from them. And no, I didn't leave early.

I've been through other games where there have been weather delays and we've had to evacuate the stadium, but the '98 game is the foul weather game that really sticks in my memory.

Reactions: VOLCENTS1985

VN Store

Back