Exposed Weaknesses

cardvolfan

The roundball Vols showed a lot of weaknesses last night, and will have to show tremendous improvement with our schedule. Our halfcourt D was bad, our rebounding was atrocious (especially with our height now), and Wayne was still patrolling the perimeter most of the night, even though he had 10 boards. What say ye? What weaknesses do we need to correct to be competitive for another SEC championship run?

Rebounding appears to be a weakness. I realize that if Williams would've been healthy and played, we probably would've had the rebounding edge. Still, we should've been able to out rebound Tusculum without him in the lineup.

Especially against what should be a lesser opponent, I feel like Chism needs to be able to do more inside on the offensive end and at least get to the free throw line more. (Oh, and he needs to make 'em when he does get to the line).

Rebounding appears to be a weakness. I realize that if Williams would've been healthy and played, we probably would've had the rebounding edge. Still, we should've been able to out rebound Tusculum without him in the lineup.

Especially against what should be a lesser opponent, I feel like Chism needs to be able to do more inside on the offensive end and at least get to the free throw line more. (Oh, and he needs to make 'em when he does get to the line).

We just don't CRASH THE BOARDS, I agree with you. We should be able to outrebound most teams we play, but for some reason, Bruce doesn't seem to make them crash. We need some Josh Tabb to lay on the opposition.

Tabb would improve the half-court/perimeter defense somewhat, which you correctly noted as being "bad" in your opening post.

Is it fair to presume that the team is behind on learning Pearl's D because of all the newcomers to the team? If that's the case, then hopefully we will see some big improvement in these three games leading up to the Old Spice Classic or we may enter the loser's bracket quite quickly.

Tabb would improve the half-court/perimeter defense somewhat, which you correctly noted as being "bad" in your opening post.

Is it fair to presume that the team is behind on learning Pearl's D because of all the newcomers to the team? If that's the case, then hopefully we will see some big improvement in these three games leading up to the Old Spice Classic or we may enter the loser's bracket quite quickly.

No question, the freshmen are way behind defensively, and in particular, Hopson. You are right about the Old Spice Classic. We better improve quickly.

If it makes you feel better, the Tigers are suffering the same thing. Both teams play similar uptempo, high intensity defense and offense. It takes time for newcomers to not only learn the systems, but meet the desired intensity level. Look for some bumps in the road early on from both teams, and jelling sometime in January. Nothing matters until mid-Jan. to March anyway.

If it makes you feel better, the Tigers are suffering the same thing. Both teams play similar uptempo, high intensity defense and offense. It takes time for newcomers to not only learn the systems, but meet the desired intensity level. Look for some bumps in the road early on from both teams, and jelling sometime in January. Nothing matters until mid-Jan. to March anyway.

How is Tyreke Evans looking? From my viewpoint, I really don't see Hopson as a one-and-done player, but it is early.

How is Tyreke Evans looking? From my viewpoint, I really don't see Hopson as a one-and-done player, but it is early.

Tyreke is the real deal. I think Hopson will get better as the season goes on, give him some time.

No question, the freshmen are way behind defensively, and in particular, Hopson. You are right about the Old Spice Classic. We better improve quickly.

With Hopson's poor defense does he become a liability? You know the coaching staff is going to coddle him in fear of losing a big talent to another school (transfer). In other words he may get more minutes than he deserves; if he can't stay with the Tusculm guards what can he do with SEC guards. On a postive note; it is hard to stay focused when you are playing with a huge lead against a small school and the game is a glorified practice game. Not to mention at this point we are battling some injuries and the frosh. are green.

With Hopson's poor defense does he become a liability? You know the coaching staff is going to coddle him in fear of losing a big talent to another school (transfer). In other words he may get more minutes than he deserves; if he can't stay with the Tusculm guards what can he do with SEC guards. On a postive note; it is hard to stay focused when you are playing with a huge lead against a small school and the game is a glorified practice game. Not to mention at this point we are battling some injuries and the frosh. are green.

Seems to me that if Hopson wants to be a significant member of this team he will need to learn defense. How many minutes can he expect if he doesn't?

did jurick play? if so how did he look? i wasn't able to see the game. thanks.

Yes, Jurick did play around 6 minutes or so. He really didn't have much of a chance to do anything. No rebounds that I recall, even though he did show some effort in trying to block a few shots, though he did not actually block anything. He has MILES to go to play in the SEC.

Seems to me that if Hopson wants to be a significant member of this team he will need to learn defense. How many minutes can he expect if he doesn't?

At this point, comparing his D to say, Jujuan Smith's defense, it is not even close. That being said, it is early and it will take hard work and effort. Is he a defensive liability AT THIS POINT? Yes, but hopefully his play will improve dramatically. I agree that Pearl will play him more minutes because he doesn't want to lose another recruit somewhere down the line because of perception. By the way, Jujuan was at the game Friday night, and was the same old nice guy. I wish him luck.

He sprained his ankle in scrimmage with St. Louis U. Didn't play in exhibition against CBU. I saw him practice. Slow release on a pretty good jumper, but gets to the basket at will. Defensively tougher than what I thought or expected from a freshman. 6'5 with 7' wingspan.

Yes, from what I have seen to this point Hopson seems to be more of a liability towards our team bc of his poor defense. The guy is freakishly talented, but he has a long long way to go before he can be a serious playmaker.

do we redshirt Jurick? My guess now is no because we need big bodies...

do we redshirt Jurick? My guess now is no because we need big bodies...

At this point, Jurick wishes he was Ryan Childress. I could be totally wrong, but I don't see him contributing very much for a couple of years (if ever). With the kinds of recruits Pearl has rolling in here, Jurick seems a little out of place.

At this point, Jurick wishes he was Ryan Childress. I could be totally wrong, but I don't see him contributing very much for a couple of years (if ever). With the kinds of recruits Pearl has rolling in here, Jurick seems a little out of place.

Agreed, even though I hope he helps.

VN Store

Back