Expectations???

Ok, here is my question for you all. We have set the school record for wins in a season, we won our first SEC outright championship in 41 years, and now comes SEC tournament time. Do you particularly care if the vols were to lose in the conference tournament. Sure I would love to win the conference tournament no doubt in my mind. Here is my take on it though. A loss in the conference tournament would ignite the vols once again and they will get that look in their eye as the NCAA tournament begins, that they will not tolerate to lose. Winning, the regular season and conference tournament could make our boys a little cocky going into the real deal. It's a win-win situation IMHO, but don't get me wrong I want that SEC tournament championship too.

I'd like to continue to go where no other Vols team has. Elite 8 and I would be completely satisfied. If not, then oh well they have been incredible and fun to watch this season. We will continue to build as long as Pearl is here.

There is nothing harder to watch than your team losing in the tournament because you know that that is it, last game for the seniors and last game of the year and you have to wait until next November

I honestly think we lose in the sweet 16 if not sooner. We will lose to a team we shouldn't. Just my opinion.
Sweet 16 is our best advancement in history. Elite 8 would trump that but a Final Four appearance would be devine.

I seriously believe we have as good a chance as anyone else. We have proved that we can beat the best. That being said, I would consider getting to the elite 8 a success, but still disappointing.

This UT team has all the makings of a final four team. I would expect them to ATLEAST get to the elite 8.

I think that not making the E8 would be a big disappointment. Having been #1, running the table at home (assuming a win Sunday), knocking off the ex-champs twice, and with nice non-conference wins, you have to figure that we are up there with the best of the best.

Honestly, though, if we can find some semblance of point-guard play, and god forbid if Lofton and JaJuan heat up simultaneously, we could go all the way.

It depends on the 2 seed in our bracket. But I will predict Final 4 with a good shot at winning a championship

Ok, here is my question for you all. We have set the school record for wins in a season, we won our first SEC outright championship in 41 years, and now comes SEC tournament time. Do you particularly care if the vols were to lose in the conference tournament. Sure I would love to win the conference tournament no doubt in my mind. Here is my take on it though. A loss in the conference tournament would ignite the vols once again and they will get that look in their eye as the NCAA tournament begins, that they will not tolerate to lose. Winning, the regular season and conference tournament could make our boys a little cocky going into the real deal. It's a win-win situation IMHO, but don't get me wrong I want that SEC tournament championship too.

I care. UT has become notorious for getting bounced early in the SEC tourney, even when they are favorites. The only loss in the SEC tourney that wouldn't be a big disappointment, imo, is in the finals. Then I could see your scenario maybe playing out. But if they lose their first game, it would be hard to not get down on themselves and frustrated, after having such a fantastic year, yet still choking it up in the conference tourney.

But let me say, I've never been a big believer in "good losses" in the first place.

As for the tourney itself, I can't make up my mind.

I can see the team getting upset in the 2nd round, because all it takes is a bad shooting night, or getting heavily out rebounded, or poor free throw shooting in a close game, etc...

I can also see them cutting down the nets, too. But it is going to take everybody's A game and a little luck.

Being so unpredictable is what makes the tourney great.

As for the tourney itself, I can't make up my mind.

I can see the team getting upset in the 2nd round, because all it takes is a bad shooting night, or getting heavily out rebounded, or poor free throw shooting in a close game, etc...

I can also see them cutting down the nets, too. But it is going to take everybody's A game and a little luck.

Being so unpredictable is what makes the tourney great.
Thus the reason for tournaments in the first place. In the words of Jimmy Valvano "Don't give up, don't ever give up!!"

Final 4 is a pipe dream!
No Pg play and rebounding/free throws will kill UT

Elite 8 is realistic

A first round upset by the APSU Govs could happen!!!! :dance2: LOL!

I care. UT has become notorious for getting bounced early in the SEC tourney, even when they are favorites. The only loss in the SEC tourney that wouldn't be a big disappointment, imo, is in the finals. Then I could see your scenario maybe playing out. But if they lose their first game, it would be hard to not get down on themselves and frustrated, after having such a fantastic year, yet still choking it up in the conference tourney.

But let me say, I've never been a big believer in "good losses" in the first place.

You aren't losing in the first game of the tournament as a 1 seed. That has never happened and won't this year, either.

As I posted elsewhere, count on the second round opponent being good. You will be better, but they will be good and you ought to win. But it will have its moments.

From the third round on, it gets really tough and, unless you are dealing with a George Mason-scenario, there aren't that many true "upsets" in that the distance between the top four of the Sweet Sixteen and the bottom four of that group is just not that huge.

VN Store

Back