Expectations next year?

Dougie_D

I’ll be first to let you know I don’t really follow baseball in general. But obviously being a Vol fan I try to keep up with what happening.
LAST year I guess the hype started and continued to roll through this entire season.
For the baseball guys , can TN consistently be a top 10 team year in year out? Or was this kinda a phase? Thx!

I’ll be first to let you know I don’t really follow baseball in general. But obviously being a Vol fan I try to keep up with what happening.
LAST year I guess the hype started and continued to roll through this entire season.
For the baseball guys , can TN consistently be a top 10 team year in year out? Or was this kinda a phase? Thx!
They may be just as good next year

As long as Vitello is in Knoxville, Tennessee will be a national championship contender.

Next year’s team should be very good.

Hard to imagine we'll ever see a TN team have as good a regular season plus SEC tourney plus regional as what we've witnessed. I certainly don't think it'll ever happen again. Good news though.....today proves that you don't have to be one of the most dominant college baseball teams in history to advance to Omaha.

So, who all are we projected to lose???

Beck, Gilbert, Lipscomb, Lipcius, Russell, Tidwell, Walsh, Joyce (possibly)…where does Sewell stand? Christian Scott? Seth Halvorsen?

I believe the university is cursed. But maybe it’s best to have a ho hom regular season and just luck out in a beat of three of next year lol

Two years in a row the best team didn’t make it to the CWS. Maybe something needs to give.

Last edited:
Joyce, Lawson, and Ortega will enter the draft.

They don’t actually “enter.” They’re eligible to be drafted. If they are and the offer is what they want, they’ll leave. If not, they’ll come back.

I think those 3 will get drafted and go, but I think Stevenson will be back.

1B. Burke
2B. Ortega - Moore if Ortega goes
SS. Ahuna
3B. Lawson
LF. Dickey
CF. Stevenson
RF. C. Moore ( Think they find a spot for him)
C. ? - need a big time transfer

It will be a very talented team that features likely the first pitcher selected in next years draft (Doolander) and another first rounded the following year in Burns.

I hope Ortega, Mabry, McGlaughlin, Connell, and Sewell come back. We could have a really solid lineup again next year with same rotation and 4-5 of the same bullpen pieces.
1B Burke
2B Ortega/Moore/Chambers/Steenstra
SS Ahuna
3B Moore/Steenstra/Chambers/Tommy Tanks?
LF Stephenson/Dickey/Chambers
CF Booker/Stephenson/freshman
RF Backus/Tears/freshman
C Dickey/Paul Skenes?
P: Dolly, Burns, Beam, Mabry, Sewell, Connell, McGlaughlin, Evans, Sechrist + freshmen and transfers.
Can be another top 5 type teamif everyone stays healthy

1B. Burke
2B. Ortega - Moore if Ortega goes
SS. Ahuna
3B. Lawson
LF. Dickey
CF. Stevenson
RF. C. Moore ( Think they find a spot for him)
C. ? - need a big time transfer

It will be a very talented team that features likely the first pitcher selected in next years draft (Doolander) and another first rounded the following year in Burns.
No to Lawson at third...He bounced most of his throws to first this year from SS

No to Lawson at third...He bounced most of his throws to first this year from SS
Honestly, I’d prefer to see Lawson go pro. Maybe he could take a step forward and I’d look stupid but his hitting in SEC play was atrocious and his fielding in postseason was just as bad. We can replace .216 and 3 HRs in SEC play

I would like to see our baseball team play more baseball next season. Bunt, make contact type hitters who advance the base runners, disruptive base runners who steal anything they see, pitchers holding runners with throws and pitch outs, vacuum cleaner infield. This is baseball and skills that win championships.

I would like to see our baseball team play more baseball next season. Bunt, make contact type hitters who advance the base runners, disruptive base runners who steal anything they see, pitchers holding runners with throws and pitch outs, vacuum cleaner infield. This is baseball and skills that win championships.
This team was 2nd in the country in doubles, top 15 in country in batting average, top 15 in country in fielding percentage, and 2nd in SEC in stolen bases. Not sure what they’re missing other than being quicker to the plate. The issue is that multiple guys had their worst day on the final day. In the final game of the season, Beck, Gilbert, Lipscomb, Ortega, and Russell were all hitless.

Omaha, Omaha

Another SEC Championship and a possible return to Omaha.

The starting rotation will be a year older and the batting order should be strong.

Do Beck and Gilbert return for another chance to go to Omaha?

VN Store

Back