Excited About Conference Realignment

On a related note, I hope the conference will consider having the SEC Championship game in different cities. Now that all the teams aren't somewhat convenient to Atlanta, I think it is time to consider New Orleans, Dallas, St Louis, Nashville, etc. Maybe even a rotating schedule where 6 or so cities are cycled through as host.
Came to post this. I think Nashville will have a strong case when the new stadium is finally built. I think the dome aspect is pretty important for a December game.

I know, I know, nothing will ever equal the good old days before Mizzou and A&M joined, or even the really good, really old days before Arky and South Cackalacky joined, but those days aren’t coming back. Let’s focus on what we’re gaining from the SEC realignment.

1. We will finally feel like we’re in the same conference as the former west division schools other than Alabama. Right now, Miss State and Arkansas feel like they might as well be in the American, we play so little. It will be great to play everyone instead of just the same boring slate of UK, Mizzou, Vandy, SCe and the big three. Auburn could become a rival again. We’ll get to have regular matchups with ole Laney, with all the drama and acrimony that comes with them. Sign me up.

2. More big games. How can you look at that Oklahoma game for the SEC opener and not be excited? Up until this point, Tennessee and Alabama were the only true, historic blue-bloods in the conference (you can throw UGA in there too with their impressive all time win total and recent championships). Now we’ll have not just three but five of the top-ten all time programs. I for one am thrilled that we’ll be facing OU and UTjr regularly. I could even see the latter becoming a minor rivalry.

Anyway, I think there’s a lot to be positive about. Whatever may be detrimental about realignment, it will certainly result in more of what we all love — compelling, meaningful football games. Big matchups. Bring on the new era, I say.

What say you?

Billy Cannon says hello.

We will be a middle of the road team until we rotate Bama. Don’t get mad get smart, to many good teams now.

I've got a plan to kidnap Sankey and put him in the hole in my basement until one of two things happens. He either agrees to the idea, or he drops enough weight for me to stitch together a new skin for myself made from his flesh.

STINKY should retire and let's have Cutcliffe as Commissh. Enough of those Yanks running things....

This will be a brutal schedule every year. I don’t see how anybody could like it. Tennessee will struggle to get 9 wins a year. We better start recruiting like heck to get depth because there is going to be a lot of injuries.
9 wins in the SEC will likely get into the 12 team playoff some years. Maybe one team every year.

Calling the conference "Southeastern Conference" now has no geographic integrity just as the new other conferences. SEC is effectively gone. Needs a new name.

Suggestions ??

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DuckInAPen
Certainly does make it tougher for all teams, which I think is a positive and makes it less likely for the loaded teams to make it through without a blemish.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I know, I know, nothing will ever equal the good old days before Mizzou and A&M joined, or even the really good, really old days before Arky and South Cackalacky joined, but those days aren’t coming back. Let’s focus on what we’re gaining from the SEC realignment.

1. We will finally feel like we’re in the same conference as the former west division schools other than Alabama. Right now, Miss State and Arkansas feel like they might as well be in the American, we play so little. It will be great to play everyone instead of just the same boring slate of UK, Mizzou, Vandy, SCe and the big three. Auburn could become a rival again. We’ll get to have regular matchups with ole Laney, with all the drama and acrimony that comes with them. Sign me up.

2. More big games. How can you look at that Oklahoma game for the SEC opener and not be excited? Up until this point, Tennessee and Alabama were the only true, historic blue-bloods in the conference (you can throw UGA in there too with their impressive all time win total and recent championships). Now we’ll have not just three but five of the top-ten all time programs. I for one am thrilled that we’ll be facing OU and UTjr regularly. I could even see the latter becoming a minor rivalry.

Anyway, I think there’s a lot to be positive about. Whatever may be detrimental about realignment, it will certainly result in more of what we all love — compelling, meaningful football games. Big matchups. Bring on the new era, I say.

What say you?

I'm firmly in the "why can't we go back to ..." camp, but you make about as good an argument in favor of realignment (at least from an SEC perspective) as I've seen. The Big 10 is a hot mess, so is the ACC, but the latest realignment makes the SEC more compelling and actually will probably be okay for the Big 12 even with the losses of OK and UTjr.

One thing I hate about all the new realignment is that playing an SEC schedule will be running a gauntlet every season and 9 wins won't be easy to come by, while Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, and Florida State will continue to play cream puff schedules and win 10-11 games most years. Just based on difficulty of schedule, better SEC teams will miss out on the playoff to lesser teams from the other three "Power 4" conferences every season.

Reactions: mpfvol
On a related note, I hope the conference will consider having the SEC Championship game in different cities. Now that all the teams aren't somewhat convenient to Atlanta, I think it is time to consider New Orleans, Dallas, St Louis, Nashville, etc. Maybe even a rotating schedule where 6 or so cities are cycled through as host.
I'm really shocked it's not held in Birmingham every year.

One thing I hate about all the new realignment is that playing an SEC schedule will be running a gauntlet every season and 9 wins won't be easy to come by, while Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, and Florida State will continue to play cream puff schedules and win 10-11 games most years. Just based on difficulty of schedule, better SEC teams will miss out on the playoff to lesser teams from the other three "Power 4" conferences every season.
The playoff games should separate the wheat from the chaff.

Well I'm not. There are / were, legitimate differences between the various conferences. Texas, AM, Arkansas, and Oklahoma do not BELONG in the SEC. Hell, those states are where you went when they threw you out of the South. Missouri too!

Reactions: UTvols#1
Its such a waste of money imo, Titans suck, Adams suck, taxes suck.

Every city building stadiums for billionaires is pretty wasteful.

Titans do piss me off. Seems like every time they start to get good they trade away all their best players.

Reactions: Frank Duncan
It's all a matter of marketing. People from St Louis are probably not SEC people overall. The same with New Orleans.

Dallas might work, Nashville could work, and ATL works.

Until the "new areas" show a big SEC following to the folks who follow who watches what like ESPN/Fox, I'd not hold my breath.

Always follow the money, especially when it comes to a ESPN or Fox.

This will be a brutal schedule every year. I don’t see how anybody could like it. Tennessee will struggle to get 9 wins a year. We better start recruiting like heck to get depth because there is going to be a lot of injuries.

I expect less undefeated seasons, across the board, especially if they go 9 game SEC schedule.

VN Store

Back