Excerpt from Genos Book

Some of it is just natural. I don't want to come off as "Oh, poor Geno Auriemma, he's a guy coaching women's basketball and woe is me, it's me against the world," but it is different being a man coaching the women's game. There are always going to be certain people who don't want you to succeed, just because you are a man.

When I start out, I'm an assistant coach at Virginia, then later a head coach in an obscure Connecticut program. There are some perceived superpowers out there that are looked upon as the giant aircraft carriers, while programs like mine are seen as the SS Minnow.

Those superpowers decide the future of women's college basketball. They decide who is in and who is out. It is like organized crime, in some ways. So when you start out, you want nothing more than to beat those superpowers.
WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like somebody needs to get his diaper changed :birgits_giggle:

(MyBloodRunnethOrange @ Jan 6 said:

Sounds like somebody needs to get his diaper changed :birgits_giggle:
? His statement was 100% accurate. The disparity in college women's basketball is ridiculous.

I love the guy to be honest. I was laughing as I read the article.

Geno is much like me . . . just a misunderstood smartass.

(milohimself @ Jan 6 said:
Good read.

But LIO still hates Geno.

With a passion. I hope we grind Pukeonn to powder tomorrow.

I also hope I can sleep tonight.

GO LADY VOLS!!!

So now the NCAA Tournament rolls around, and of course they put Villanova in Tennessee's bracket, and all ESPN is talking about is Harry and Pat. The two teams are set to play each other, and the game is in Knoxville, and Pat invites the whole Villanova team and the coaching staff over for a cookout at her house before the game. Now, I'm saying to myself, "Who the hell does that? And who goes?" I think it is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Jealousy anyone??

You've got to admit. It is a little weird to be in the middle of the NCAA tournament and invite one of your opponents over to your house for a cookout.

(GAVol @ Jan 6 said:
You've got to admit. It is a little weird to be in the middle of the NCAA tournament and invite one of your opponents over to your house for a cookout.

BUT.....you also have to admit it's a pretty classy way to snub ol' Genhole.

(LadyinOrange @ Jan 6 said:
BUT.....you also have to admit it's a pretty classy way to snub ol' Genhole.
Genhole!? :eek:lol:

(milohimself @ Jan 6 said:
? His statement was 100% accurate. The disparity in college women's basketball is ridiculous.
You've got to be kidding me. He's won 5 national championships, and he makes it sound like he can't get ahead in the women's game because he's a man :shakehead:

It's jealousy pure and simple. It's because Pat is more revered in this sport than he is, because Pat has more class in her pinky finger than Geno has in his entire body.

VN Store

Back