Excellent obituary in Chattanooga paper, Dr Bryant Millsaps

Savannahbayvol

A child of career educators, he attended Daisy Elementary and Central High School in Chattanooga where his father served as Principal. While at Central, he played football and had the distinction of being part of the 1962 Central High Purple Pounder team that went undefeated, including a shut out of Steve Spurrier’s Johnson City team 14-0.

A child of career educators, he attended Daisy Elementary and Central High School in Chattanooga where his father served as Principal. While at Central, he played football and had the distinction of being part of the 1962 Central High Purple Pounder team that went undefeated, including a shut out of Steve Spurrier’s Johnson City team 14-0.
You must have known him. Anybody that beat Steve Spurrier is a good man in my book.

I knew of him being from Chattanooga. His wife at the time was a teacher at my high school. He worked for the company we bought our class rings (which I never wear anymore) from. RIP

So many have sold/lost their Rings. Never understood.

OBITUARY: Dr. Jarrett Bryant Millsaps Sr.
By
Jennifer Haley
-
June 15, 2022
https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...e.com/obituary-dr-jarrett-bryant-millsaps-sr/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...-bryant-millsaps-sr/&via=Sumner+County+Source
https://pinterest.com/pin/create/bu...June 13, 2022, from his back porch sanctuary.
https://api.whatsapp.com/send?text=...e.com/obituary-dr-jarrett-bryant-millsaps-sr/

blank.gif

Dr. Jarrett Bryant Millsaps, Sr., took flight into the arms of our Lord Jesus on June 13, 2022, from his back porch sanctuary surrounded by his family after a long and courageous battle with Alzheimer’s.
We rejoice that he is no longer bound by the limits of this earth, is fully healed, and is reunited with many friends and family members in Heaven.
Bryant/Dad/Papa was born on March 2, 1947 in Chattanooga, TN as the second child of William Hobart Millsaps, Sr., and Myra Sue (Bryant) Millsaps.
On a modern day map his hometown will show up as Soddy-Daisy, TN, but longtime Hamilton County, TN residents will know that Soddy and Daisy are two different places — and Bryant was from Daisy.
A child of career educators, he attended Daisy Elementary and Central High School in Chattanooga where his father served as Principal. While at Central, he played football and had the distinction of being part of the 1962 Central High Purple Pounder team that went undefeated, including a shut out of Steve Spurrier’s Johnson City team 14-0

My dad graduated from the old Central. I have heard all the stories from my dad of how dominate the old Central football teams was every year and how nobody locally in Chattanooga would even play them and they had to play teams outside of Chattanooga or out of state. Lots of the old timers take great pride in talking about the old Central HS football teams back in the days and how dominate they were back then until they moved to Harrison. RIP Bryant Millsaps

I attended Central when the father was still principle. He was a good guy and did his best to make school fun. School moved from Dodds ave to Harrison after my Sr. yr. I loved HS there. FB team was still good then but were not as dominate as a few yrs before but I think we only lost 5 games during my time there. Coach Etter was still the FB coach. Left for Baylor not long after.

My dad graduated from the old Central. I have heard all the stories from my dad of how dominate the old Central football teams was every year and how nobody locally in Chattanooga would even play them and they had to play teams outside of Chattanooga or out of state. Lots of the old timers take great pride in talking about the old Central HS football teams back in the days and how dominate they were back then until they moved to Harrison. RIP Bryant Millsaps
They were very dominant and your Dad is correct nobody around here would play them. They actually had a season that they beat four or five defending state champions .Espn has a short on Bobby Hoppe. He played at Central and was charged in a murder case but was found not guilty

You must have known him. Anybody that beat Steve Spurrier is a good man in my book.

Never met him, but played against him as I went to Chattanooga City. I saw Central beat Spurrier the year before in 61 at old Chamberlain Field.

The 62 team he played on is generally regarded as the best prep team in Chattanooga history.

I think Bobby Hoppe trial ended in a hung jury, not an acquittal. My father told me Hoppe was a great player but killed a man cause he beat up Hoppes sister. This was long before the trial. That was the word “on the street” at thee time.

I think Bobby Hoppe trial ended in a hung jury, not an acquittal. My father told me Hoppe was a great player but killed a man cause he beat up Hoppes sister. This was long before the trial. That was the word “on the street” at thee time.

I saw the ESPN program on him and he did admit to friends that he killed the guy for the reason you say above and did get a hung jury. They kinda hinted that because he was a Chatt legend and the evidence was not solid the jury members did not want to convict him. The whole thing remains debatable to this day depending on who you are.

I dont know why anybody wouldn't think it was self-defense. Bobby just happened to have a shotgun in the back seat he had brought to show a friend at Nikki's restaurant. He was driving down the street minding his own business when Donnie Hudson pulled up next to him and pointed a pistol at him, which for some reason he never fired. While driving with one hand Bobby reached into the back seat , grabbed the shotgun and fired the fatal shot. Makes sense to me:D. Oh and it was 2 blocks from Hudsons house.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol

Well, If Hoppe beat him to death, I'm pretty OK with it.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for posting. We played together at Central but Bryant was a year older than me.

My grandfather played at Central around 1952-54. Pretty sure he did not finish high school as he got my grandmother pregnant and all… hell of a guy though, excellent golfer in his day.

I thought the Millsaps name was familiar. I met him during his work with the Tennessee Baptist Children's Home.

I grew up in Chattanooga and in 1962 Brainerd High School, the Chattanooga high school I later attended, was also 11-0 and beat Madison in the Clinic Bowl in Nashville. Finished third in state rankings. Brainerd was a new school only a very few years old. Not sure why they did not play Central that year.

VN Store

Back