Everything Jeremy Pruitt said on the Paul Finebaum Show

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss

On not getting carried away with thinking about Tennessee's long-term future
“I think it’s important to kind of be where our feet are, and our guys are excited about this year. I’m excited about this team.

We have 10 seniors on this team, but we do have a lot of experience, a lot of guys that’s played a lot of ball. Some of them are just now big enough and strong enough to play in this league. I think there’s a lot of excitement around our football team and around our campus, and I’m looking forward to getting back tonight so I can kind of talk to the group for the first time.”

On going from being around elite talent at his previous stops to taking over Tennessee's roster

“I think we have a lot of really good players on our football team. I think some of the guys were younger. I think our strength and conditioning has done a really good job with our nutrition staff of getting them bigger and stronger. We look different. There’s several offensive linemen that’s gained 40 pounds in the last year. Talking about a guy that goes from 270 to 310, now he’s ready to play in this league. You can see it with our team, and we’ve got to do a good job in recruiting in evaluating and getting the right guys in there, and I think we’ve done that. We’ve got to continue to do that."

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but this is the most baffling blunder the Butch era. How in the hell could he have been so stupid and thoughtless when it came to strength and conditioning? It still boggles the mind.

FirmIdolizedBrownbear-max-1mb.gif

“I think it’s important to kind of be where our feet are, and our guys are excited about this year. I’m excited about this team.

We have 10 seniors on this team, but we do have a lot of experience, a lot of guys that’s played a lot of ball. Some of them are just now big enough and strong enough to play in this league. I think there’s a lot of excitement around our football team and around our campus, and I’m looking forward to getting back tonight so I can kind of talk to the group for the first time.”

On going from being around elite talent at his previous stops to taking over Tennessee's roster

“I think we have a lot of really good players on our football team. I think some of the guys were younger. I think our strength and conditioning has done a really good job with our nutrition staff of getting them bigger and stronger. We look different. There’s several offensive linemen that’s gained 40 pounds in the last year. Talking about a guy that goes from 270 to 310, now he’s ready to play in this league. You can see it with our team, and we’ve got to do a good job in recruiting in evaluating and getting the right guys in there, and I think we’ve done that. We’ve got to continue to do that."

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but this is the most baffling blunder the Butch era. How in the hell could he have been so stupid and thoughtless when it came to strength and conditioning? It still boggles the mind.

Can't fix stupid

Reactions: dduncan4163

One more thing, looking the part and playing the part are two different things. Pruitt has seen and coached what it takes to be a winner, if he is excited, I am excited. Butch never knew what it took to be successful, he got caught up in all the hype, as I've always thought, Butch was promoted to a level of incompetence. I really believe he would have been a better new car salesman or real-estate agent.........jmo

It is perplexing. I'm thinking that it is because of his personal experience. The only exercise that marching band trumpet players like Butch do is finger flexibility exercises. "Do what you know".

Simple. He thought he was recruiting 1980’s SMU talent-ready to go play in the NFL-and with his scheming he didn’t have to work the players out.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but this is the most baffling blunder the Butch era. How in the hell could he have been so stupid and thoughtless when it came to strength and conditioning? It still boggles the mind

Hard to understand. I think its because he never head coached at a P5 school. The SEC - everyone is taking football very seriously. No one can afford to relax in recruiting, coaching personnel, S&C, academic support, off-the-field detail, player development and expect to win. When I read Jonathon Kongbo's comments and think about it, I am surprised that the house of cards didn't collapse earlier. If not for Josh Dobbs...........

Been hoping for some type of news like this to come to fruition. Still don't think we are world beaters this year but this paints a positive outlook for this year.

I like to crush Butch as much as anybody.. TRUST me.. but this is where I think he catches too much flak.

We were a finesse style, zone scheme..with what my former hs coach would say more of a east/west style then north/south (as far as play design, not the 'get north and south' running style.

We now run a down hill, beat the other guy in front of you...get up and do it again scheme that's NOT a zone.

We were a little undersized under Butch, but our problem there was player development skills. We NEEDED the slightly smaller, more agile, quicker offensive linemen to run the schemes we were running to fit our personnel with Dobbs. More misdirection. More sweeps. More pressing the edge. Pruitt comes in last year with a totally different mentality (all for it), and was forced to fit square pegs in round holes.

Hate Butch as much as the next guy... but the pure difference in schemes is really to blame here, not so much "BUTCH RECRUITED MIDGETS!" rants that my own friends like to go on.

I like to crush Butch as much as anybody.. TRUST me.. but this is where I think he catches too much flak.

We were a finesse style, zone scheme..with what my former hs coach would say more of a east/west style then north/south (as far as play design, not the 'get north and south' running style.

We now run a down hill, beat the other guy in front of you...get up and do it again scheme that's NOT a zone.

We were a little undersized under Butch, but our problem there was player development skills. We NEEDED the slightly smaller, more agile, quicker offensive linemen to run the schemes we were running to fit our personnel with Dobbs. More misdirection. More sweeps. More pressing the edge. Pruitt comes in last year with a totally different mentality (all for it), and was forced to fit square pegs in round holes.

Hate Butch as much as the next guy... but the pure difference in schemes is really to blame here, not so much "BUTCH RECRUITED MIDGETS!" rants that my own friends like to go on.
Clemson runs a spread and still recruits sec type lineman

Perhaps this would explain the size issue, but it does nothing to explain the lack of S&C. If CJP had inherited a group of 270lb linemen who were in great shape with well developed strength, the climb would not have been as hard. What he got was a bunch of guys who hadn't really hit the weight room since they got to Tennessee. That's not a spread offense issue, that is a coaching laziness issue.

Butch fired a proven and respected S&C coach because he thought he new better and replaced him with his understudy. If you don't recognize this as gross negligence fueled by ego, then no amount of proof is going to open your eyes. Smaller, more agile OL are not the key problem here. Lack of S&C is the greater problem with this team. It is also the reason we are losing so many players to career injuries.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but this is the most baffling blunder the Butch era. How in the hell could he have been so stupid and thoughtless when it came to strength and conditioning? It still boggles the mind

Hard to understand. I think its because he never head coached at a P5 school. The SEC - everyone is taking football very seriously. No one can afford to relax in recruiting, coaching personnel, S&C, academic support, off-the-field detail, player development and expect to win. When I read Jonathon Kongbo's comments and think about it, I am surprised that the house of cards didn't collapse earlier. If not for Josh Dobbs...........

I read on here somewhere where he stated the University didn’t give him enough money to pay for a S&C coach.

Slow your roll guys. Pruitt isn’t saying he’s optimistic about the upcoming season. He’s saying that for the first time we’ve got guys big and strong enough to be SEC competitive. And that’s clearly one big step in the right direction. But it will take a lot more than that to get us a winning record this season.

I’m glad Pruitt and the guys are eager to see what they can do. I like the attitude change for sure. Now let’s see how all respond the first time they get hit hard in the mouth.

What you say is true. My beef is he didn't or couldn't recognize what it takes to win in the SEC much less a National Championship!

Sounds like the guys are bigger, but size is the easy part of the equation.
So I imagine 2020 should be a realistic season for strength and endurance and roster depth to be closer to elite SEC levels.

One more thing, looking the part and playing the part are two different things. Pruitt has seen and coached what it takes to be a winner, if he is excited, I am excited. Butch never knew what it took to be successful, he got caught up in all the hype, as I've always thought, Butch was promoted to a level of incompetence. I really believe he would have been a better new car salesman or real-estate agent.........jmo

Yeah. "This Car Has plenty of RESILIENCY"

We hear the guys are bigger and stronger every year.

I'm not being negative.

I think Pruitt can coach football, and already think he is a better game day coach than Butch.

I just hope Pruitt can recruit at an elite level.

Time will tell.

So far Pruitt gets a thumbs up from me.
Last year's class and pulling chaney away from UGA and Ansley from the NFL wasn't convincing enough?

He was laughing and smiling, unlike past interviews. He is settling into the job, imo.

“I think our strength and conditioning has done a really good job with our nutrition staff of getting them bigger and stronger. We look different. There’s several offensive linemen that’s gained 40 pounds in the last year. Talking about a guy that goes from 270 to 310, now he’s ready to play in this league. You can see it with our team, and we’ve got to do a good job in recruiting in evaluating and getting the right guys in there, and I think we’ve done that. We’ve got to continue to do that."

If we do make a big leap forward this year, I think this will be one of the major reasons why. We had lots of issues last year, but #1 by far was the fact that our O-linemen were consistently getting pushed back / overpowered on run plays. Statistically, we had the worst run blocking in college football. It screwed up the entire offense; it filters down to the passing game, as well, because defenses would constantly bring pressure and not have to worry about the consequences.

Perhaps this would explain the size issue, but it does nothing to explain the lack of S&C. If CJP had inherited a group of 270lb linemen who were in great shape with well developed strength, the climb would not have been as hard. What he got was a bunch of guys who hadn't really hit the weight room since they got to Tennessee. That's not a spread offense issue, that is a coaching laziness issue.

To your point, the NFL scouts described our last two teams under CBJ as being "soft." That is not a descriptive term associated with good football teams.

I'd like to know who gained 40 lbs this off season: Niehaus, Tatum, or Jamir Johnson.

I think it was Jamir Johnson as he was listed at 270 last season and was very good and strong for that weight. He could be an absolute mauler at 310. Jamir, Kennedy and either Trey Smith or Niehaus will give us a pretty darn good interior OL. I'm psyched!

Reactions: DiderotsGhost

There should never, and I mean never, be a time when a program like TN goes almost a year and a half without a proper strength and conditioning program. Butch worried more about th juice bar than getting guys prepared for SEC play. The day Lawson was fired, Hart should have walked in and fired Butch right then and there.

VN Store

Back