Ever seen one of THESE !?

Thread inspired me to get a box out of the closet, thought my change purse from 98 with sched was there, but will find one of these days. These buttons were in there. I suck at taking pics:
View attachment 286252
I remember most all those. Had the little change purse too but never carried it. Not a bad photo just learn to rotate your pics.

I remember using mine to pay for lunch at Sequoyah Hills Elementary School in Knoxville in first grade, I think school lunches were .60¢ back in those days. My favorite part of lunch was the ice cream cup with the little wooden paddle spoons.

View attachment 286171

I love those wooden spoons. I don't see them very much anymore.

Reactions: MAD
Coin purse! My daddy always carried one, & now I keep on in the car for loose change. Some of us wore garrison caps in the service. We called them "coin purse caps" rather than the more sordid nickname.

"C*** Cap!" LOL!!! Wore one with khakis in the seventies. I couldn't even remember the issued name.

I HAD a Vol one years ago but have since lost it. I, like you, used these up until a couple of years ago. I hated having loose change rattling around in my pocket. I cant tell you how many times i pulled it out of the pocket and people had zero clue what it was. They were amazed and I was amazed they were amazed. Amazing isnt it? My grandfather used these as far back as i can remember as well. I guess they harken back to a day when loose change was actually worth something!

Reactions: SmokinBob
Ok ... now that I have your attention . I came across this recently . I have several stashed away somewhere from various seasons but just wondering if anyone else had something this uniquely customized in their Vol memorabilia collection ? My 90 y.o. VFL grandfather used to have these made up every season to give away to friends , family , customers , etc...

My grandfather was good friends with a gentleman named John Ambrose . Mr.Ambrose was the CEO of the Ambrose Printing Co. based in Nashville since the mid 1800’s . Ambrose printed several UT football guides each year . I’m not sure if they printed the official media guides but they may have IIRC. Growing up I always had the best posters , guides , bumper stickers , you name it that were printed by Ambrose .

****Edited here for clarity
I carried one of these around from as long as I can remember until just a few years ago (not sure why I stopped ?!?). I’m going to see if y’all know what this is before I name it but my grandfather had Ambrose make these customized for him every year for a good 25 years .

I know this is a very random post and I thought of putting it in the memorabilia thread but there was very little recent activity in that thread . I also thought a lot of the older crowd and or Vol historians would like to see this very unique piece of memorabilia .

To summarize has anybody else ever seen one of these ? Does anybody know what it is ?? Does anybody have anything similar that they would like to post ?View attachment 286168View attachment 286169
That is exactly the same change purse that I used to carry my lunch money in when I was in 1st Grade in 1971. I remembered the Notre Dame Freshman game being on the schedule and always thought that was odd. Although, I don't think mine was from Edison Vacuum. There were a number of businesses that gave those out back at that time.

Reactions: Jravol78
On the back of that coin holder is a football schedule that brings back memories. The Notre Dame freshman game was the introduction of a young man named Condredge Holloway. The Vols freshmen whipped the Notre Dame freshmen that day..Back then it was a big deal.

Actually, Condredge’s freshman year was 1971 so this game was a couple of years before that. I don’t remember the 69 freshman Notre Dame game but I’m sure there would be a write up of it in the KNS. The freshman games were a big deal back then before freshmen became eligible.

Reactions: Evergrenevol
I remember using mine to pay for lunch at Sequoyah Hills Elementary School in Knoxville in first grade, I think school lunches were .60¢ back in those days. My favorite part of lunch was the ice cream cup with the little wooden paddle spoons.

View attachment 286171
Serious question...do kids in public schools still pay for their lunch? Of course we did all the way through high school. All my children and grandchildren attended private school or home schooled so I honestly don't know. Of course at private schools YOU PAY FOR EVERYTHING!. I do remember as a kid if you wanted the box of milk at recess/break/whatever it was called (usually around 10 in the morning) you had to pay .05 cents.

Actually, Condredge’s freshman year was 1971 so this game was a couple of years before that. I don’t remember the 69 freshman Notre Dame game but I’m sure there would be a write up of it in the KNS. The freshman games were a big deal back then before freshmen became eligible.

Thank you for correcting me. Agree about the frosh games. Was it the ‘71 frosh game that a Vol player stood on the field next to the sideline pretending to be talking with the coach....and then he bolted down the sideline at the snap and caught a pass to a wide-open Vol for 6?

Thank you for correcting me. Agree about the frosh games. Was it the ‘71 frosh game that a Vol player stood on the field next to the sideline pretending to be talking with the coach....and then he bolted down the sideline at the snap and caught a pass to a wide-open Vol for 6?

I can’t remember that play. I remember in the 71 Notre Dame frosh game that Condredge had a huge game before a large paying audience. Weren’t some of the proceeds from that game donated to a local charity?

Ok ... now that I have your attention . I came across this recently . I have several stashed away somewhere from various seasons but just wondering if anyone else had something this uniquely customized in their Vol memorabilia collection ? My 90 y.o. VFL grandfather used to have these made up every season to give away to friends , family , customers , etc...

My grandfather was good friends with a gentleman named John Ambrose . Mr.Ambrose was the CEO of the Ambrose Printing Co. based in Nashville since the mid 1800’s . Ambrose printed several UT football guides each year . I’m not sure if they printed the official media guides but they may have IIRC. Growing up I always had the best posters , guides , bumper stickers , you name it that were printed by Ambrose .

****Edited here for clarity
I carried one of these around from as long as I can remember until just a few years ago (not sure why I stopped ?!?). I’m going to see if y’all know what this is before I name it but my grandfather had Ambrose make these customized for him every year for a good 25 years .

I know this is a very random post and I thought of putting it in the memorabilia thread but there was very little recent activity in that thread . I also thought a lot of the older crowd and or Vol historians would like to see this very unique piece of memorabilia .

To summarize has anybody else ever seen one of these ? Does anybody know what it is ?? Does anybody have anything similar that they would like to post ?View attachment 286168View attachment 286169
Yes use to have one when I was younger you don't see them much anymore now. I just turned 31 if that helps put it into perspective.

Serious question...do kids in public schools still pay for their lunch? Of course we did all the way through high school. All my children and grandchildren attended private school or home schooled so I honestly don't know. Of course at private schools YOU PAY FOR EVERYTHING!. I do remember as a kid if you wanted the box of milk at recess/break/whatever it was called (usually around 10 in the morning) you had to pay .05 cents.

Yes, kids pay for their lunch still, however, its usually charged, so the kids give a number to the cashier and parents add cash to their balance. Although I’m retired now, the beginning of the school year was always great fun, teaching kindergarteners a 5-7 digit number when they couldn't even tell you their name or a 2 digit bus number. My last school was also 73% ECD, so must kids got free or reduced lunch.

I have several of those change purses. I loved getting those Peek size football guides too. Still have several of those.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I remember using mine to pay for lunch at Sequoyah Hills Elementary School in Knoxville in first grade, I think school lunches were .60¢ back in those days

think lunch at sequoyah was about half that when mom made sure i had mine each morning.

and always had to carry it when for snow cone at polo fields snack bar

(sequoyah lunchroom was a tripr ---particularly trying to get past monitor when carrying tray to window)

Reactions: MAD
The 1969 season. The "Jackson Massacre". Steve Kiner regretted ever asking "Archie Who?". "Tricky Dickey" became the new catch phrase. Actually "Tricky Dickey" probably began a few days into 1970.
It was Tricky Dick fondly for President Richard Nixon. As he famously said "I am not a crook!"

VN Store

Back