Events that stand out in your lifetime

TennFan

What are the 4 or 5 biggest events (sports, tradegies, etc) that stand out the most in your lifetime? You can exclude births, deaths (family) and weddings (if you chose).

As far as tradegies are concerned, mine are:
(1) 9/11 - World Trade Center and Pentagon
(2) Challenger explosion after take off
(3) JFK assasination
(4) Viet Nam

Other things:
(1) UT's NCAA 1998 Championship

Originally posted by TennFan@Aug 29, 2005 10:41 AM
What are the 4 or 5 biggest events (sports, tradegies, etc) that stand out the most in your lifetime? You can exclude births, deaths (family) and weddings (if you chose).

As far as tradegies are concerned, mine are:
(1) 9/11 - World Trade Center and Pentagon
(2) Challenger explosion after take off
(3) JFK assasination
(4) Viet Nam

Other things:
(1) UT's NCAA 1998 Championship
[snapback]132406[/snapback]​

Obviously, 9/11 tops that list.

Challenger exploding.

When Elvis died (didnt really like Elvis but I remember the mood accross the country)

The Columbine Shootings

The attempeted assassination on Ronald Reagan

Thats the NEWS.

Now the SPorts:

UTs magical 1998 season.

UT's Brilliant 1985 season

Seeing Dale Earnhardt win at Bristol without power steering

The Atlanta Braves coming from behind to beat Pittsburg in the NLCS in 1992 (Francisco Cabrerra- Everybody remember that name?)

(TIE) UTs win over BAMA in 1982 and their win at the Swamp in 2001

I have heard my parents comment on big events with the phrase "I'll never forget where I was when..." So thats how I'm judging these

Challenger Disaster: watching it on TV at school
"World Series" Earthquake: watching it on TV
Gulf War: heard on radio while riding with the parents going out to eat
OJ found innocent: watching TV during a lunch break at school
Peyton stays!: watching TV during a lunch break at school
( :blink: anybody noticing a theme here?)

Columbine Shootings: Came into the dorm after class my freshman year at UT
UT's National Championship: at home with the parents and girlfriend
Earnhardt Dies: walked into the dorm, my roommate told me :cry:
9/11: Was coming out from eating breakfast at the University Center on campus.
Iraq War: just got home after working a UT Baseball game

Also forgot some others in sports:

Atlanta Braves winning the World Series in 1995. :good:
Henry Aaron breaking Babe Ruth's HR record. :thumbsup:
Remember when Maris hit 61 HR's in a season and seeing that record going down twice - 70 and then broken by 73, 2-3 years later. Know that Bonds was "juiced." :question:

Other items:
The U.S.A. landing a man on the moon. :thumbsup:

1. Neil Armstrong walks on the moon...mom made me come watch it on tv, Walter Cronkite covering.
2. 9/11...I saw the 2nd plane fly into a tower, I could'nt believe what I just saw.
3. Vietnam War...I remember the day I saw my dad cry, 1st and only time when my uncle was KIA in the war.
4. Challenger disaster...I swear on my life I was thinking doom just b4 the launch. Thinking if something happened the silver lining would be I didnt care for the challenger name as much as the other shuttles..then it happened.

Sports

1. Hank Aaron breaks the HR record on my b-day in 1974

2. Dale Earnhardt dies...and as far as my intrest in nascar that died with him.
3. 1998 national title for Tennessee...I can now die content

1. Columbine H.S. shootings (I was in HS at the time, my JR. year I think)
2. That time that all of those people got trampled at the Wisconson v. Michigan game in '94 when Wisconsin fans stormed the field. That was scary to me...I was only 11 years old at the time.

Those are the 2 that stand out the most to me, because they affected me the most personally.
I happened to be in High School during the Columbine High School shootings and it was very different at school for a few weeks. It could have happened at Knox-Central High just as easily.
That Wisconsin v. Michigan game stands out to me, because I was a young kid watching Football by myself in my bedroom(as I always did on Saturdays) and I just kind of stared....it was so scary watching that unfold on TV. I always remember that particular game after a big win or loss. I always make sure to control myself and grab a hand of my loved ones to keep up with them in the crowd.

Originally posted by dan4vols@Aug 29, 2005 4:45 PM

2. Dale Earnhardt dies...and as far as my intrest in nascar that died with him.

[snapback]132489[/snapback]​

I feel exactly the same way Dan. I bet I havent watched 2 races since he died (most of which were BMS races).

Originally posted by volbrian@Aug 29, 2005 9:14 PM
I feel exactly the same way Dan.  I bet I havent watched 2 races since he died (most of which were BMS races).
[snapback]132539[/snapback]​

Add me in there, fellas! With Earnhardt gone, why even watch the stuff they are throwing out there today? :bad:

my wedding day
birth of my 1st son
birth of my second son
9-11
beating FSU to win the championship
the day Peyton announced he was staying for his Sr yr

That's a lot of good ones but I can't believe ya'll haven't mentioned the Miracle at South Bend in '91 or '92. That was the greatest come from behind game I've ever seen!!!

Originally posted by surrealvol@Aug 29, 2005 9:10 PM
Add me in there, fellas!  With Earnhardt gone, why even watch the stuff they are throwing out there today?  :bad:
[snapback]132561[/snapback]​

Exactly! DE was the last american hero as far as I am concerned. He did things HIS WAY...damn the consequences.

Bad moments

The first tragedy I remember being really affected by was the death of my maternal grandmother in 1976. My uncle had been killed only months before and I kept wondering what this was going to do to my mother. I was 11 years old.

My parents divorce in 1980. I was 15.

9-11 I was teaching a science lesson when another teacher called me into the hallway to tell me the news. I was 37.

These are not the only sad/bad moments, just the ones that affected me most.

Good moments

Giving my life to the Lord on June 24, 1982. I was 17 years old.

My graduation from college in 1987. I was the first on my dad's side of the family to go to college, so it was a big deal to everybody. I was 22.

My wedding day, June 6, 1998. I was 33 and had just about decided to stay single and be a missionary when my husband came from out of nowhere and the rest is history. In additiion to a husband, I also got a beautiful 3 year old little girl who was destined to steal my heart forever.

Becoming a member of www.volnation.com on Oct. 23, 2003. I was 39.

Saturdays in the fall. Win or lose, following Vol football has added so much to my life in terms of friendship, excitement and satisfaction. Especially friendship. ( I love you guys!)

News

Columbine shootings
Clinton's near-impeachment
9/11

Sports

Every single NBA Finals series over the last 12 years
McGwire vs. Sosa home run race
Portland's 4th-quarter breakdown in the 99/00 Western Conference Final

The - I remember where I was when.. events for me are:

Elvis died. I was at Six Flags Over Georgia, I remember the chatter and disbelief.

Challenger explosion. I was working at an Architect firm in Atlanta, I had stepped out to get breakfast and the launch was being shown in the lobby of the resturant. There were ahandful of us watching it 'live'.

The UT win over Arkansas NC year. I remember walking into the kitchen and telling my wife that it was over, grabbing a soda, and returning to see the replays on the fumble.

I was at the SEC Championship Game when we won over Miss State. Later I watched the Fiesta Bowl win over FSU on TV at home.

911. I heard the reports of the first plane crash. We flipped on CNN in the 'medai room here in our office and saw the second plane hit the tower via their coverage. This is a high profile building in our city. I remember, quietly slipping ouyt after all of the days calendar was cleared.

I'm afraid that before it's all said and done, we are all going to remember the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

You're probably right. Seems that it's the worst to hit the U.S. in quite awhile and probably the costliest too.

My first encounter with the opposite sex!! :lolabove: :good: :shakeit: :jawdrop: :run: :kiss:

VN Store

Back