Even Bama having tough time selling season tix

LAVol1

My son had 40 yd. line Bama season tickets with no parking and elected not to renew for '21, primarily because he could buy good tickets to the few good games at far less than the season tickets cost and he couldn't give tickets away to "bad" games. When he declined to renew, Bama offered free premium parking as an added incentive. He declined. (BTW--my son is an avid Vol fan, but close to 50% of his clientele are Bama fans).

My son had 40 yd. line Bama season tickets with no parking and elected not to renew for '21, primarily because he could buy good tickets to the few good games at far less than the season tickets cost and he couldn't give tickets away to "bad" games. When he declined to renew, Bama offered free premium parking as an added incentive. He declined. (BTW--my son is an avid Vol fan, but close to 50% of his clientele are Bama fans).
They need the money to cover roster payroll next year.

Think I will go out on a limb and say college sports will never be the same even if and when Covid is eradicated. Now the govt is about to get involved and we all know what happens then. The gravy train called the NCAA is about to end.

I think there are a few problems as this topic has come up before.....and this list is not even taking COVID into account.

1. College football is the only sport I am aware of when the date and time of the game are not known until 6 days in advance. This matters as....

2. People used to buy season tickets because the only way you could get your hands on the big games were to buy season tickets. If I wanted FSU tickets, I had better be a season ticket holder. But, because of #1, I don't even know if I'll be able to attend that game, need a hotel, etc. There's a big difference, depending on where you live, in finding out that the game is at noon or the game is at 7:30.

3. TV. Not HDTV. TV. A lot of people will argue it's the quality of the picture and broadcast that HDTV brings, but I believe it's the choices that the proliferation of networks has created. I can get every single game I want to see on TV. It used to be if you wanted to see your game, you had to go the majority of time. And you might be able to see your game, but ABC covered games regionally, so you wouldn't see Ohio State-Michigan State, USC-Arizona, Oklahoma-Texas Tech, etc. You see it all now. I can see Wake Forest play the Citadel now if I want to. ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, the SEC Network, ACC Network, Big 10 Network, FOX, FS1, etc. I can watch 10 games at once. Now, it can be a sacrifice to go see your game because.....

4. Truth be told, a lot of people enjoy good football sometimes more than their team. I have had this happen in the stands. When Florida is playing Vandy, more people are checking their phone or the scoreboard to find out what Georgia is doing, FSU is doing, what's the upset alert of the day, etc, than there are people locked into their game. That's actually in the stadium with a game right in front of you. I used to NEVER, EVER, change the channel while my team was on. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'll flip back in forth to other games if Oklahoma is playing Texas while Florida is playing some chump they're up 4 TDs on.

There's no telling what the new government will dictate with covid around. You could waste your entire 2K welfare check on season tickets only to see the stadiums shutdown across the nation.
New strains of the virus are a lot more contagious as well. Idk what’s going to happen going forward. Probably will depend entirely on effectiveness of the vaccine

I dont appreciate you calling Tennessee chumps
I imagine it was a typo. He meant to type "champs".

How many season ticket holders throughout college football opted to roll the 2020 season's money over to 2021? My guess is a lot did and that will lessen the loss of season ticket renewals in 2021 but 2022 may show a bigger drop.

Reactions: VolNExile
Doubt it, their entire stadium is season tix minis students. My wife has had season tix for over 20 years. Depending on where you are on the donor list is what they offer but she sold her tix to 1 of the 2 games she got and got her money back. They prorated the price for tix this year, after the initial donation of course.

Long story short: the easier it is to get the product at home, the less people will leave home to get the product.
In the NFL blackout rules used to be in effect if the game wasn’t sold out. I’m not sure if that ever happened in college but going back to a system like that if possible now could work.

In the NFL blackout rules used to be in effect if the game wasn’t sold out. I’m not sure if that ever happened in college but going back to a system like that if possible now could work.
So, we'll all have to chip in and buy all the seats so we can stay home and watch.

There's no telling what the new government will dictate with covid around. You could waste your entire 2K welfare check on season tickets only to see the stadiums shutdown across the nation.

The cancel culture now wants to cancel college football because it’s racist, so who knows where we go from here

I think there are a few problems as this topic has come up before.....and this list is not even taking COVID into account.

1. College football is the only sport I am aware of when the date and time of the game are not known until 6 days in advance. This matters as....

2. People used to buy season tickets because the only way you could get your hands on the big games were to buy season tickets. If I wanted FSU tickets, I had better be a season ticket holder. But, because of #1, I don't even know if I'll be able to attend that game, need a hotel, etc. There's a big difference, depending on where you live, in finding out that the game is at noon or the game is at 7:30.

3. TV. Not HDTV. TV. A lot of people will argue it's the quality of the picture and broadcast that HDTV brings, but I believe it's the choices that the proliferation of networks has created. I can get every single game I want to see on TV. It used to be if you wanted to see your game, you had to go the majority of time. And you might be able to see your game, but ABC covered games regionally, so you wouldn't see Ohio State-Michigan State, USC-Arizona, Oklahoma-Texas Tech, etc. You see it all now. I can see Wake Forest play the Citadel now if I want to. ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, the SEC Network, ACC Network, Big 10 Network, FOX, FS1, etc. I can watch 10 games at once. Now, it can be a sacrifice to go see your game because.....

4. Truth be told, a lot of people enjoy good football sometimes more than their team. I have had this happen in the stands. When Florida is playing Vandy, more people are checking their phone or the scoreboard to find out what Georgia is doing, FSU is doing, what's the upset alert of the day, etc, than there are people locked into their game. That's actually in the stadium with a game right in front of you. I used to NEVER, EVER, change the channel while my team was on. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'll flip back in forth to other games if Oklahoma is playing Texas while Florida is playing some chump they're up 4 TDs on.
3 is it for me. It started when I moved away after college and was forced to no longer be able to attend in person. I found out I was more than a Tennessee fan, I am a college football fan. When you go to a game, it's a 5-7 hour blackout from seeing any of the other games. And there's no way I want to sit in Neyland and stare at my 6" phone screen all day, better to be on my couch and have every game I want to see at my disposal.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
New strains of the virus are a lot more contagious as well. Idk what’s going to happen going forward. Probably will depend entirely on effectiveness of the vaccine
Also will depend on how many folks decide not to get the vaccine as well. Personally I was thrilled to get vaccinated this week. I work in healthcare. I believe that by September most everyone who wants it will have had the chance to get the vaccine.

VN Store

Back