Evan Russell retired?

I saw Evan Russell retired from baseball but couldn't find any kind of a story on it, anyone know more about that?

No doubt Evan brought massive excitement to Vol Nation. Great kid too.
As for the business? It can be cruel. He probably was relegated to a bullpen catcher in dirty hot Arizona. Nothing more. And to add insult to injury, he’ll probably need to pay some of his signing bonus back for not fulfilling his contract.

No doubt Evan brought massive excitement to Vol Nation. Great kid too.
As for the business? It can be cruel. He probably was relegated to a bullpen catcher in dirty hot Arizona. Nothing more. And to add insult to injury, he’ll probably need to pay some of his signing bonus back for not fulfilling his contract.

How much did he get?
What is his obligation?

Probably signed for 1yr. 50k is what I saw. Not sure if the bonus is prorated. If anyone knows for sure how it works I’m all ears.
The old days you got 1/3 of your bonus when you signed. 1/3 at the end of first season, and 1/3 when you showed up to spring training. So, he might have just got 2/3's of that 50k but hey, some good Outback Steakhouse money and a few new suits.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
He has an accounting job is all I know. Decided it was time to move on. I don't know anymore. Sometimes they tell you and sometimes you tell yourselves. At some point it is over for all, just at different levels.
I wish I knew he was looking for an accounting job before today

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The old days you got 1/3 of your bonus when you signed. 1/3 at the end of first season, and 1/3 when you showed up to spring training. So, he might have just got 2/3's of that 50k but hey, some good Outback Steakhouse money and a few new suits.

It's no that way anymore. The approach was changed following COVID and half paid following the draft, then the balance paid Jan 1st of the following year. However, teams get away from that structure. For example, on the lower draft dollars (I'd say players signing under 250k and less), I could see the team simply paying out the entire amount. Of course, the player needs to pay his agent which is typically 5% for players earning under about 1.5m. Not sure whether Evan had an agent, but if he did, well, you can figure out what 5% is. There's a lot of creativeness involved. But the structure set forth for the team is the 1/2 after the draft and 1/2 on the first in the following year. If the Angels signed Evan for 50k, I wouldn't doubt it if they just cut him a check for 50k minus taxes. He then pays his agent.

I saw Evan Russell retired from baseball but couldn't find any kind of a story on it, anyone know more about that?

If you want to hear Evan talk about his reasoning for retiring, he discusses it a minute or two after the hour mark in the podcast at the link above. Thanks again for posting that @6-4-3.

VN Store

Back