Evan Daniels reporting Jordan Bone will stay in the draft

wait, what ??? no. if a player is not drafted how is a team gonna "call him up". There is no policy or rule in the NBA that would affect this its 100% NCAA letting them keep their amateur status.
You must withdraw your name by May 30th to return to college and be eligible.

There is one case of a player going thru the draft, not getting picked, and returning to school. Randolph Morris at UK did it after the 2004-05 season. I recall they made him sit out the first half of the season and he basically returned for SEC play. He was considered a free agent by the NBA and signed with the Knicks a year later. I can't remember if they found some loophole that has since been closed or what, but you know the NCAA bends over backwards for its breadwinners. That's why the UNC academic fraud has just disappeared like a fart in the wind. Basically I'm saying UT basketball doesn't have that kind of clout to get Bone back. He gone.

wait, what ??? no. if a player is not drafted how is a team gonna "call him up". There is no policy or rule in the NBA that would affect this its 100% NCAA letting them keep their amateur status.

No that's not correct, actually.

I'm biased, but aside from Morant, I'm not sure which point guards are better pro-prospects than Bone. I know Garland is highly ranked, but I don't know much about him. Everyone else, I'd take Bone over them. Bone is a smart, selfless playmaker that has the ability to control the tempo and make tough shots when needed. His ceiling is high and I expect him only to get better. He plays his role really well and will do well when partnered up with talent.

Reactions: volgrad500
I think Rick Barnes slowed down Bone to play the HALF COURT OFFENSE! Barnes did a good job of developing Bone, but every time Cheetah Bone would hit warp speed, Barnes would give him a tongue lashing.
Umm, I will take "Completely wrong statements for $800, Alex"

The times Barnes was most angry at Bone stemmed from Bone not getting the ball up the court fast enough and not being aggressive enough in transition.

You must withdraw your name by May 30th to return to college and be eligible.

There is one case of a player going thru the draft, not getting picked, and returning to school. Randolph Morris at UK did it after the 2004-05 season. I recall they made him sit out the first half of the season and he basically returned for SEC play. He was considered a free agent by the NBA and signed with the Knicks a year later. I can't remember if they found some loophole that has since been closed or what, but you know the NCAA bends over backwards for its breadwinners. That's why the UNC academic fraud has just disappeared like a fart in the wind. Basically I'm saying UT basketball doesn't have that kind of clout to get Bone back. He gone.
The new rule in effect this year afaik is that if a player enters the draft and doesn't hire and agent or take money and they don't get drafted they can return to school.

The thing I was answering was someone saying that said rule would be dependent on an NBA rule change because there would be a chance the UNDRAFTED player could be called up by the NBA later that season is ridiculous. Any rule in play would be all NCAA.

For reference NCAA will allow undrafted basketball players to return to their schools, 'elite' players to have agents
From the article
Now, players can go through the draft and have the ability to return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they inform the school’s athletic director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft. Say Maryland’s Kevin Huerter, for example, didn’t get drafted in the first two rounds — he’d be able to play for the Terps again.

The new rule in effect this year afaik is that if a player enters the draft and doesn't hire and agent or take money and they don't get drafted they can return to school.

The thing I was answering was someone saying that said rule would be dependent on an NBA rule change because there would be a chance the UNDRAFTED player could be called up by the NBA later that season is ridiculous. Any rule in play would be all NCAA.

For reference NCAA will allow undrafted basketball players to return to their schools, 'elite' players to have agents
From the article
Now, players can go through the draft and have the ability to return to school if they go undrafted, as long as they inform the school’s athletic director by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft. Say Maryland’s Kevin Huerter, for example, didn’t get drafted in the first two rounds — he’d be able to play for the Terps again.

“This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season,” the NCAA wrote.

“This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season,” the NCAA wrote.

And has this rule been changed?

I’ve been asking this question for weeks now and haven’t seen anything saying it’s been changed

I’ve been asking this question for weeks now and haven’t seen anything saying it’s been changed

I don't believe so, otherwise there would be no reason to have a deadline to withdraw by May 30 (or whatever the exact time is this year). But to your point, I haven't SEEN anything specifically saying this- that's why I tried to hedge my first comment as much as possible. But like I said, the presence of a deadline to withdraw would be superfluous if undrafted players were allowed to return after the draft. Right, lol? It certainly has been a bit unclear.

While this is true I agree Barnes held Bone back. I’m not saying it was the wrong thing to do but Barnes didn’t encourage the dribble drive and that is something Bone could have excelled more with.

So yea Barnes wanted him to push the tempo but then play very conservatively once he got the ball pushed up the court.
Bone was the only one holding Bone back on the dribble drive. His biggest offensive deficiency for the past 3 years was finishing at the basket. Was unexplainably bad at it his first 2 years and improved up to an acceptable level this last year. IMHO, TIFWIW, AARP

I'm biased, but aside from Morant, I'm not sure which point guards are better pro-prospects than Bone. I know Garland is highly ranked, but I don't know much about him. Everyone else, I'd take Bone over them. Bone is a smart, selfless playmaker that has the ability to control the tempo and make tough shots when needed. His ceiling is high and I expect him only to get better. He plays his role really well and will do well when partnered up with talent.
Looks like every team in the NBA disagrees with you.

NBA Draft 2019 Best Remaining Players - ESPN Draftcast

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings/point-guards

Some list Coby White as a SG and some as a PG. The Athletic ran an article the other day about how the league has shifted away from "game managers" at PG and require their PG's to be more scorers now. Essentially the league is leaning toward "combo guards" to run their offense and not the traditional PG the way the game was played for decades. Think Lillard, Curry, Beal, Westbrook, Kyrie, D'Angelo Russel, etc. Even some outlets list James Harden as a PG now. The issue with scoring for Bone is that as analytics have come into play, they have deemed the mid-range jump shot one of the worst shots to take in basketball. Well, where does Bone excel at? That jump shot from the elbow. He struggles to finish at the rim against length and his 3 point shot is still developing which are now considered the 2 best shots in basketball to take.

So there’s been a lot of ambiguity on this but it doesn’t appear the rule has changed. So if Bone goes undrafted he won’t be able to return even if he wanted to

So there’s been a lot of ambiguity on this but it doesn’t appear the rule has changed. So if Bone goes undrafted he won’t be able to return even if he wanted to

Honestly I don’t know what to believe I slightly lean toward agreeing with you

About the rule not changing yet that is

Bone isn’t coming back either way

Honestly I don’t know what to believe I slightly lean toward agreeing with you

About the rule not changing yet that is

Bone isn’t coming back either way
According to this article he can return if not drafted. Like you I don't think he comes back either way.
NCAA will allow undrafted basketball players to return to their schools, 'elite' players to have agents
Second article says they have to withdrawl by May 29.
NBA Draft process will be different this year

Good luck to Bone in the draft and I hope Atlanta takes a flier on him as he would be a good backup to Young.

I was talking to a pro scout who is a director for an NBA team a couple weeks ago. I was asking him why did guys like Bone stay in if they weren’t projected to be drafted. He just kinda looked at me funny and said “Bone will get drafted!” He was in Chicago for the combine and he said Bone secured himself as a solid 2nd round pick with what he did. He wasn’t impressed with Grant at all. I told him I thought Bone would have the longest career in the NBA, then Admiral, then Grant. He agreed.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Undersized posts dont normally have long NBA careers.

Its my understanding that Grant had already graduated though so why not go?

Its not like he's gonna grow any in the next year.

I do agree that Bone is likely to have the best run of the 3.

I was talking to a pro scout who is a director for an NBA team a couple weeks ago. I was asking him why did guys like Bone stay in if they weren’t projected to be drafted. He just kinda looked at me funny and said “Bone will get drafted!” He was in Chicago for the combine and he said Bone secured himself as a solid 2nd round pick with what he did. He wasn’t impressed with Grant at all. I told him I thought Bone would have the longest career in the NBA, then Admiral, then Grant. He agreed.
I can't wait for Grant to prove a lot of people wrong!

I hope he does too. He passes the ball extremely well. If he can develop a consistent mid range and 3 pt shot he has a chance to have a good NBA career. I think it’s critical that he ends up in the right system though. He’s the kind of kid you want to have success at anything he does!

I hope he does too. He passes the ball extremely well. If he can develop a consistent mid range and 3 pt shot he has a chance to have a good NBA career. I think it’s critical that he ends up in the right system though. He’s the kind of kid you want to have success at anything he does!

He already has a very good midrange game

Good for college. Will need to be consistently good in the NBA. Also the midrange is extended a few feet. I love his game. I was one of the few on here who liked him as a player before he ever played a game at UT. But it’s tough to be undersized as a NBA player. He will have to improve his shooting ability. He’s a good defender... great passer.... good scorer with his back to the basket. His ability to shoot the ball consistently from 18 - 25 ft because that’s how teams will have to use him to stretch the court. Time will tell...

VN Store

Back