Europe Trip

Thank you.
Diplomatic, complementary enough, while thinking big picture: Work 'em hard, but beware of burn out. IOW, the plan is to play in late-March, or beyond.
Appears we have a very good Coach.

She very effectively put the Europe trip in context. The team is very much a work in progress that had not had much time together when these games happened. Weak comp masked a lot of areas were the team was in dire need of improvement but they made some quick progress over the 3 game tour.
Cool to hear that Jaz is stepping up as one of the team leaders (along with Rennia).

I most liked Kellie's comment that her goal is getting to a level of play where every LV knows what she needs to do and where she needs to be on offense and defense and does all that out of habit. This dimension was where Holly's teams had been consistently lacking. Holly's problems were never basic X and O's. Rather, it was her inability to get her players to work as a coordinated unit and to play with good habits and understanding of their offensive and defensive roles in the pressure of a game. If KJH makes that transition, some really good things lie ahead.

Last edited:
I mosst liked Kellie's comment that her goal is getting to a level of play where every LV knows what she needs to do and where she needs to be on offense and defense and does all that out of habit...
...If KJH makes that transition, some really good things lie ahead.

Hearing her thoughts on her plan was music to my ears. In her voice were high notes of cautious optimism mixed with a steady bass tone of healthy realism. She’s excited about the talent, but wants everyone to understand that it’s not going happen overnight because the transition will take a LOT of time.

She very effectively put the Europe trip in context. The team is very much a work in progress that had not had much time together when these games happened. Weak comp masked a lot of areas were the team was in dire need of improvement but they made some quick progress over the 3 game tour.
Cool to hear that Jaz is stepping up as one of the team leaders (along with Rennia).

I most liked Kellie's comment that her goal is getting to a level of play where every LV knows what she needs to do and where she needs to be on offense and defense and does all that out of habit. This dimension was where Holly's teams had been consistently lacking. Holly's problems were never basic X and O's. Rather, but it was her inability to get her players to work as a coordinated unit and to play with good habits and understanding of their offensive and defensive roles in the pressure of a game. If KJH makes that transition, some really good things lie ahead.

Thank you. This is as good an analysis as I’ve read explaining Holly’s coaching loses. Even Gary Blair said she had a good game plan against him...he also said the players wouldn’t follow it. Not a good comment to be made of a coach, players, or team. But I think the old man knew what he was talking about. Hopefully Kellie can get the players to work as a team, not just a bunch of talented individuals. She has some really good girls, as well as really good athletes. Go Lady Vols!

“....Hopefully Kellie can get the players to work as a team, not just a bunch of talented individuals. She has some really good girls, as well as really good athletes. Go Lady Vols!”

That’s the key, and, I think one of the biggest concerns to which madtownvol was referring in another cautionary post about our thus-far unbridled potential, as in the highlights, we saw incredible athleticism in all its one-on-one splendor.
But, where very often such displays end with an unnecessarily difficult (and most often missed) shot, many of our opportunities became assists from very talented, UNselfish players ....with great floor vision; the long bounce pass by Rae Burrell, a thing of beauty.
The length, speed, and smarts of this team could fill a lot of passing lanes, and make for a very disruptive defensive unit.
Cheers.

I was impressed with the quality of questions asked during the interview - preparation and short questions to allow Kellie to answer. Kudos

and a smile above to Krichunaka "long bounce pass by .. the intended player by two feet out of bounds - an unforced error" Not his intent but my memory has too many such visions from past games.

Reactions: krichunaka
Thank you. This is as good an analysis as I’ve read explaining Holly’s coaching loses. Even Gary Blair said she had a good game plan against him...he also said the players wouldn’t follow it. Not a good comment to be made of a coach, players, or team. But I think the old man knew what he was talking about. Hopefully Kellie can get the players to work as a team, not just a bunch of talented individuals. She has some really good girls, as well as really good athletes. Go Lady Vols!

I used to get frustrated at people who made a big deal about Holly not being very good in press conferences but in hindsight, there was a coaching problem related to her press conference shortcomings. Holly was not a good communicator and, hence not a good teacher. I am sure she was fantastic on the emotional support, empathy side but effectively communicating what players needed to do, how to do it and when to do it (or not..) did not seem to be in her wheelhouse. For whatever reason, the assistant coaches were not able to fill that gap. What is clear is that KJH excels on the communication and explanation side of the coaching game.

I was impressed with the quality of questions asked during the interview - preparation and short questions to allow Kellie to answer. Kudos

and a smile above to Krichunaka "long bounce pass by .. the intended player by two feet out of bounds - an unforced error" Not his intent but my memory has too many such visions from past games.

There were several quality passes throughout the three games. On the one mentioned, I think it is Coach Kellie's voice heard - "Nice pass, Rae! Nice pass, Rae." I don't recall the recipient - Jordan? Davis? - but it was delivered in-stride between two defenders for a layup.
Again, I'm still learning names and faces, while essentially relying on so many kind-hearted souls like you to clear the fog. Thank you so much!

krich, it's so rare that we see nice bounce passes anymore that it's kinda shocking when we do, isn't it? A well-timed/placed bounce pass arrives to the recipient much faster than a chest pass AND is harder to defend, so I hope we see a lot more of that in the coming years.

You know what I'd also like to see now and then? A big using a hook shot. Well done, those babies are nearly impossible to defend if a post with good-sized hands and long arms finds herself in a one-on-one situation near the basket. Yeah, I just revealed my age. lol

krich, it's so rare that we see nice bounce passes anymore that it's kinda shocking when we do, isn't it? A well-timed/placed bounce pass arrives to the recipient much faster than a chest pass AND is harder to defend, so I hope we see a lot more of that in the coming years.

You know what I'd also like to see now and then? A big using a hook shot. Well done, those babies are nearly impossible to defend if a post with good-sized hands and long arms finds herself in a one-on-one situation near the basket. Yeah, I just revealed my age. lol

My specialty...
My teaching points:
  • Body goes vertical
  • Ball runs up the body, ((I don't teach the traditional arch swinging of the ball to the release point, instead I teach how to take the ball up the side of the body and straight up to the highest point,,This makes it harder for a guard to blindside, since the ball goes straight up)).
  • Release the ball at its highest point
  • Release the ball as if it were a paper-wad or dart...No goose-neck, instead finishing it with "touch"
  • Work on learning footwork to set up the jump-hook one dribble, pivot, no-dribble pivot,,etc
For practice,,,they have to get to 25 back-to-back's (start off with a hookshot,,,then take 25 hookshots attempts back to back, with only one possible dribble per rebounded ball...then I take away the dribble and let them try to make 25 back to back hooks,,,only,,off of the rebounded shot (ball cannot touch the ground) footwork has to be perfect to do this

Last edited:
Reactions: lvocd

Good teaching points as always, Coach Jumper.

And, another great post, lvocd.
I actually saw the "Baby Hook" live (on TV).
Two weeks ago, I turned sixty-three! That's OLD!
So, though you might be a bit "ocd," no way you're old.

VN Store

Back