ETSU Randy Sanders Retires

Seeing Coach Sanders on the sideline and having no idea what he was thinking, he looked tired to me. Not physically, but burned out tired. The Bucs were beaten by a much more experienced team, NDSU. CRS got them as far as they could go this year. I wish him well in the future.

Reactions: JarFly
Sanders just brings back bittersweet memories...
When he took over as OC (1999 season), we went 9-3, 8-4, 11-2, 8-5, 10-3, 10-3, 5-6... and then Cutcliffe came back to go 9-4, 10-4... then the Clawfense went 5-7.

In hindsight, maybe Fulmer was more of the problem than Sanders overall.. but gosh I remember hating him as our OC back then.

The 98 team, I'm convinced, won in spite of Sanders as OC (helped a LOT by FSU fielding their 3rd string QB, too).

Anyway, wish him luck in being able to take retirement at his age. Whether he's burned out or just doesn't have anything else on the horizon, or both, nothing wrong with being satisfied with the money you got over the years and calling it a day.

Reactions: vettefool and KHVol
He became a decent coach, and struck me as a good person, but good golly, our offense when he was OC was BRUTAL to watch.

As I recall, there was A LOT of:

1st Down - Off Tackle, 2 yards
2nd Down - Bubble Screen, 2 yards.
3rd Down and 6 we run a 4 yard out pattern - Sanders looks befuddled it didn't work.
Fulmer grimaces, claps hands. Punt.

Rinse and repeat.

Appreciate the work he did rebuilding ETSU.

They just looked like boys playing grown men Saturday against NDST. Think their RB was a TCU transfer if I heard correctly.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Randy was my neighbor many moons ago. During the summers and falls, he left home each day well before sun up and didn't get home until maybe 10 or 11 pm. Spring was consumed recruiting.
I would never want to work those hours. It's hard on a family (and on a individual).
Randy is a genuinely great guy.
Congratulations Randy! Enjoy!

From my understanding he is just done. He wants to spend time with family and fishing. He took the ETSU job to stay close to home, now he is done. Sources say that he doesn't have any jobs lined up, he is just tired.
he put his heart and soul into that team. they hung on his every word.

Apparently he’s only 56. For some reason, I was thinking he was like a decade older. That would make him only 33 when he took over as OC. I was just a kid at the time but I would have thought he was in his 40s already. It makes me feel really old now.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Apparently he’s only 56. For some reason, I was thinking he was like a decade older. That would make him only 33 when he took over as OC. I was just a kid at the time but I would have thought he was in his 40s already. It makes me feel really old now.
I thinks that is right. I remember seeing him when he was on a recruiting visit when he was a Senior in high school. He was hanging out with the football before a game when I was up from Atlanta. I am happy for him getting to a position in life when he can relax and really enjoy life. So many people work too long and never get the opportunity to enjoy themselves for a few years and be young enough to fully enjoy their later years. Congratulations Coach Sanders. Enjoy.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
When he took over as OC (1999 season), we went 9-3, 8-4, 11-2, 8-5, 10-3, 10-3, 5-6... and then Cutcliffe came back to go 9-4, 10-4... then the Clawfense went 5-7.

In hindsight, maybe Fulmer was more of the problem than Sanders overall.. but gosh I remember hating him as our OC back then.

The 98 team, I'm convinced, won in spite of Sanders as OC (helped a LOT by FSU fielding their 3rd string QB, too).

Anyway, wish him luck in being able to take retirement at his age. Whether he's burned out or just doesn't have anything else on the horizon, or both, nothing wrong with being satisfied with the money you got over the years and calling it a day.

Cut was the OC during the '98 season. Randy called the Fiesta Bowl. I remember being frustrated with those teams as well. In hindsight, those 9, 10, and 11 win seasons look pretty damn good now.

I was proud to have him as a Volunteer during his playing and coaching career. Except for that one pass he Joe Miltoned over Terrence Cleveland’s head that would have won the 1986 Mississippi State game. I was pretty mad at him then. But he made up for it calling some clutch plays in Tempe.

And that one particular wounded duck (A 10 yarder to the left flat) Randy threw vs------I forget. Wash ST? It was pitty full. But, IF Phil had just left Randy Alone-----

Phil meddled in the play calling when randy was oc at TN you'll never convince me otherwise. How could one not see that? Randy is a Tennessee Legend now he has led ETSU as high as they will probably ever go in football.

Reactions: tango
71-26 looks pretty good right now.

Phil meddled in the play calling when randy was oc at TN you'll never convince me otherwise. How could one not see that? Randy is a Tennessee Legend now he has led ETSU as high as they will probably ever go in football.
Fulmer was one of the best OC's we've ever had along with Cutcliff and Walt Harris. As head coach, Fulmer essentially ran the same offense that Saban ran until Hurts came along. You Fulmer haters are totally irrational. Would we not have been far better off had Fulmer been retained for 5-10 more years? The decline was not on Fulmer. It was on Hamilton and then Hart. Stop dissing the best HC we've had in our lifetime.

VN Store

Back