Established coach vs young coach

NomadVol

I believe I have an understanding of why so many of you want an established coach over a new coach. I think it's because of how our admin and power brokers have picked the last couple of coaches.
I did find it interesting that osu promoted Day to the head coach position of a major football power with no previous head coach experience.

I was curious as to what some of you thought of the move... program in better shape than us type thoughts or other reasons.

Leaving out the d-coord not getting promoted storyline because I don't care.

It's worked out in the past:

Riley promoted from within

Swinney was promoted from position coach to HC

Fulmer promoted from within

Lloyd Carr promoted from within

That's just off the top of my head. However, it's probably failed more than it's worked though. OSU is, according to composite rankings, the most talented team in the country so they're in a different position than everyone. If the admin felt it had the right guy from within, it makes it much easier to just promote and only have to hire out a position coach at best or a coordinator at worst.

Reactions: RollerVol
they are in WAY better shape than us simply because they arent dealing with a decade of disarray. as for their coaching change, we wont know if they are better off in that until we have something results to compare.

In this instance Tennessee needs an experienced coach rather than someone young who is still possibly cutting their teeth. With this current roster you especially need someone who can squeeze out every last drop of skill

@butchna Think the Hardesty move to Western Kentucky opens up for Weinke to move to QB coach and hire an actual RB coach with the Freeze to OC? (Dunno why I posted it in this thread but seemed legit to do at the time)

Probably bump Osovet to RB and make him run game coordinator.

Reactions: Stonewal
If you're trying to win a race and you have a Pinto, you want the best driver you can possibly get. If you have a Ferrari, the driver just needs to be competent and not wreck the thing.

Fulmer took over a Ferrari here. Thus was able to hit the ground running. Same with Lincoln Riley and now Day. Long term, will day work out? Remains to be seen but he's starting with a very nice and polished product.

We haven’t shown the ability to attract top candidates, or identify quality prospects, from presidential/chancellor openings literally all the way to groundskeepers in Neyland Stadium, in about 25 years.

I believe I have an understanding of why so many of you want an established coach over a new coach. I think it's because of how our admin and power brokers have picked the last couple of coaches.
I did find it interesting that osu promoted Day to the head coach position of a major football power with no previous head coach experience.

I was curious as to what some of you thought of the move... program in better shape than us type thoughts or other reasons.

Leaving out the d-coord not getting promoted storyline because I don't care.
Fulmer never had head coaching exoerience and he was very successful initially. Battle didn't have it either, and the program went quickly into an abysmal funk. We never know where either can take it.

In this instance Tennessee needs an experienced coach rather than someone young who is still possibly cutting their teeth. With this current roster you especially need someone who can squeeze out every last drop of skill
I would say that even more than experience, which in and of itself can be valuable, we go with someone who is innovative and creative. Someone who doesn't do the "standard" things coaches do. Find a way to make it work and stop the status quo. Have some stones and go for it. You see where we are now. We have nowhere to go but up.

Reactions: papatomany
Fulmer never had head coaching exoerience and he was very successful initially. Battle didn't have it either, and the program went quickly into an abysmal funk. We never know where either can take it.
Well fulmer was a good hire ( after the s*** storm of curry though)

If you're trying to win a race and you have a Pinto, you want the best driver you can possibly get. If you have a Ferrari, the driver just needs to be competent and not wreck the thing.

Fulmer took over a Ferrari here. Thus was able to hit the ground running. Same with Lincoln Riley and now Day. Long term, will day work out? Remains to be seen but he's starting with a very nice and polished product.
I would not say he took over a Ferrari. To me, more like an Acura, Infiniti, Audi. Majors had us in good shape, but not elite. He had a solid base, but not an Alabama Ferrari at that point in Tennessee football history.

What is most shocking about the Day hire is that Schiano was available and also right under the tOSU AD's nose..

What is most shocking about the Day hire is that Schiano was available and also right under the tOSU AD's nose..

that speaks volumes doesn't it...doubt he'll be around OSU next season...guess, we'll see...

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

No guarantee you'll win with an establish coach but it will at least send a message that you're trying to win and it can only help with trying to get the better players to come. If it doesn't work at least you can hey we tried. We went all in to try and turn the program around.

You might find that diamond in the rough with a young coach but not sure how often that happens.
A young coach may would have worked if TN hadn't fallen so far, still could but...

I would not say he took over a Ferrari. To me, more like an Acura, Infiniti, Audi. Majors had us in good shape, but not elite. He had a solid base, but not an Alabama Ferrari at that point in Tennessee football history.
Alabama Ferrari? Is that a Fiero?

Give me a coach between 40-45. Should have coach both o and d and have been a successful coordinator at one. Some HC experience is a must, so he understands the administrative games. CJP is lucky to have Phil on his side.

I am hoping for an Established Young Inexperienced Veteran Older Coach!?!?!

giphy.gif

No guarantee you'll win with an establish coach but it will at least send a message that you're trying to win and it can only help with trying to get the better players to come. If it doesn't work at least you can hey we tried. We went all in to try and turn the program around.

You might find that diamond in the rough with a young coach but not sure how often that happens.
A young coach may would have worked if TN hadn't fallen so far, still could but...

Agree with this thought. Day is just so young that i thought it was interesting.

Two questions,
1. Do you think our offense given the talent we have now, is capable of drastic improvement, and can turn this thing around this upcoming season?
2. If Freeze is the guy, does he jump ship after one year and we are implementing a new system next year?

I don't personally think we will be drastically better on offense. Somewhat maybe, but not drastically. Is it in our best interest to hire someone who will be or at least have the potential to be here for three or so years, or do we make the splash hire and only have him here one year.

I just want to win again, man. Just want some competent mother truckers coaching and recruiting. It's a big ask for this school apparently.

I think if it's Freeze you have to have stipulations on staying at least 2-3 years or move on. Nothing good can come from a 1 and done and start again.

Reactions: Bassplayer30074

I agree that both methods have worked, but I see it the other way. Seems to me like diamond in the rough is way more likely than going from good to great (ala Saban). Having said that, my real preference is someone with immense success at a lower level, so I still mourn that we didn't snap up Gary Patterson (instead of the Kiffen fiasco) when we had the chance. I think he would've been great here.

Reactions: NomadVol

VN Store

Back