ESPN's 2012 CFB preseason Top 25... USC #1

Looks like Florida State will have another chance to underachieve on an epic level.

Should be a good battle between them and Clemson on who underachieves the most... regarding the recruiting success they've had recently.

Georgia definitely has an easy schedule this year. They don't have to play LSU, Bama, or Arky...

The Dooley critics say that he isn't worth a **** if he doesn't win 10 games next year. But having to go to Georgia and to USC will be tough.

Of course ND makes their top 25 poll. Can't have one without them making a brief appearance.

Are you serious??? This team is loaded and have probably the best QB in college football. They'll have 2 tough games, Oregon and Standford. If they win those theyll play either Bama or LSU for the NC.

Ok they have an easy schedule. I still don't think they're the #1 team in the country.

Are you serious??? This team is loaded and have probably the best QB in college football. They'll have 2 tough games, Oregon and Standford. If they win those theyll play either Bama or LSU for the NC.

They have a two year post-season ban

Did it start in 2010 or 2011?

I don't have a problem with USC being number 1. That team could be ridiculously good this year.

Ok they have an easy schedule. I still don't think they're the #1 team in the country.

People need to understand that these rankings aren't based on which teams people view as "being the best". They are primarily based on where teams will place in the rankings as the season progresses, and a BIG part of that equation is a team's schedule.

People need to understand that these rankings aren't based on which teams people view as "being the best". They are primarily based on where teams will place in the rankings as the season progresses, and a BIG part of that equation is a team's schedule.

Where does it say that?

Where does it say that?

It's found in the common sense section. If UGA were to go undefeated during the regular season, and Bama were to have one loss (much like last year), then UGA would be ranked over UA. However, if those two teams were to play each other then Vegas and the rest of the world would pick Bama as the favorite (i.e. the better team).

Having a better W-L record, which plays a large part in where a team is ranked, does not mean that team is better than others ranked lower. The coaches and writers participating in the polls are essentially making logical guesses as to where a team might finish at year end... and a big part of that logic is looking at the strength of schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It's found in the common sense section. If UGA were to go undefeated during the regular season, and Bama were to have one loss (much like last year), then UGA would be ranked over UA. However, if those two teams were two play each other then Vegas and the rest of the world would pick Bama as the favorite (i.e. the better team).

Having a better W-L record, which plays a large part in where a team is ranked, does not mean that team is better than others ranked lower. The coaches and writers participating in the polls are essentially making logical guesses as to where a team might finish at year end... and a big part of that logic is looking at the strength of schedule.

O rly

You asked me a question, and I answered it as honestly as I could. Is there something specific that you disagree with? Do you think a team's record is a factor in where they are ranked? If so, do you also think a team's opponents is a factor in their W-L record? If not, please elaborate.

Why not just rank teams based on vegas' odds of winning the NC?

Exactly... this would actually be closer to the polls imo, but still not necessarily an indicator of which team is best. The odds of winning a national championship are largely determined by being able to get there to begin with. See the Big 10, and Ohio St specifically. Their odds of getting there are easier because they played in a softer conference with no conference championship game.

VN Store

Back