Espn

Vols, the guy that wrote that article is the UT guy for the Tennessean. Don't give ESPN too much credit.

I don't think ESPN has any bias for or against Tennessee. There are some schools that they do give slightly more of a nod to, but for the most part, it goes back to what I've said.

Just preconcieved notions of who is supposed to be the best. I can guarantee you this next season, if we start as a preseason top 5, we will not finish lower than top ten if we have even two losses.

This is an awesome time for ESPN to have Phillip as the main story in the College Football segment.

The night before signing day there is big Phil and the story. Good stuff!

Originally posted by milohimself@Feb 1, 2005 4:34 PM
I don't think ESPN has any bias for or against Tennessee. There are some schools that they do give slightly more of a nod to, but for the most part, it goes back to what I've said.

Just preconcieved notions of who is supposed to be the best. I can guarantee you this next season, if we start as a preseason top 5, we will not finish lower than top ten if we have even two losses.

This is the problem with ESPN, they have "analysts" with clear bias that affects other people and it shows. Case in point, UGA this year.

Trev Alberts, who lives in Atlanta BTW, did nothing but talk about Georgia ad naseum. He was even called out about it by the others on the show and still did it. He did not give UT any respect for beating UGA at home, and continued lobbying for them throughout the season, even saying UGA deserved to be in the SECCG over UT. His bias was given a national stage and could be seen in the votes in the polls for UGA over UT. UGA did not deserve to be ranked ahead of UT with identical records at ANY point after UT beat them.

Even Jason Respert called Kirk Herbstreit and others out at The Hula Bowl, when interviewed, said if Kirk hadn't of lobbied for Oklahoma so much, Auburn would have been playing for the title.

This wouldn't be an ESPN thread without the trusty............. :espn:

There.......much better!

But my point is that it's not towards any specific schools... Georgia was supposed to be extremley strong this year, so they pimped Georgia. They knew they'd look stupid, almost as stupid as we were suprised to beat the Dawgs on the road. I don't mind that they have preconceptions about who is doing well, I just hate the dilusion after the fact. Just like I don't consider myself dilusional we pulled of the season we did. We were in hot water way too many times and were very lucky to pull off a ten win season.

Like I said, if we are top 3 or top 5 preseason from ESPN, we can get a loss, maybe even two and still stay top 10. Depends on how much we get pimped, but I know that Tennessee HAS to be most everybody's favorite to win the SEC and make the Sugar Bowl.

Of course it's Chris Low. I wouldn't expect any love from the real ESPNers

Chris Low wrote that article and he is a Tennessee beat writer. ESPN DOES have biased opinions for the Big Ten and the "in" school of the SEC. Their biased for UGA made me :puke: this year and if you live in the South it's easily recognized. The only reason they "patronize" the South is so they can remain politically correct. They suck, their channel sucks, their employees suck and "colorado stat boy "is the chairman of the club. Hey ESPN, :censored: you, :finger: !

Oh yeah, I think they are very biased, but it's not towards any schools in particular, they are just biased towards the fact that they think they are correct on everything. Their bias towards Georgia this last season came from the idea that Georgia was going to dominate the SEC and make a run for the national championship.

I'll bet you that if we put a good hurting on Urban Meyer next year, ESPN will be biased towards the Vols in 2005.

thanks for getting my back Volstorm. The whole ESPN scene should move to either Inside Edition or BET. Have not decided which one fits best. :dunno:

don't want their bias for us. They can go to hell as far as I am concerned. They SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every singe one of them. :furious3: :furious3: :furious3: :twocents: :flush:

okay, but as soon as we whoop up on Florida, ESPN will be liable to get a big orange hard-on. Love it or hate it, my best guess is that it will happen.

If they really knew that much about sports, they would be coaching or playing. Even the former players on there haven't seen a ball in years. This means you Steve Young. Kinda like getting football commentary from Charles Barkley...who cares?

I know we're all still hungover from the terrible bias they gave Georgia this last year, but ESPN does not hate the Vols... They are in love with themselves.

They will focus on Oscar Meyer in Florida, and the ole ball caoch in SC this year. No football, just back stories this year.

First of all, every single sports news service I've seen has the Vols at the top of the SEC in preseason rankings. ESPN will have us that way, and with an early game against Florida, if we dominate, they boys in Bristol will start chanting "You got Big Orange in the Sugar!" South Carolina falls right into the meat of the season, and if we are running the table like I think we should, that theory will be gone as well.

Heck, if we are ranked that high by ESPN pre-season, if we have a close loss to either Florida or LSU, we can still finish ranked top 5.

Ditto for Don!!!! Thanks, Don, you expressed my sentiments exactly....these guys cannot possibly be hired based on their expertise primarily because they are so often WRONG and so often obviously BIASED....I don't know how and why they were hired in those positions but obviously it was not strictly based on their football knowledge, expertise and acumen....do ya think???

GO DON !!!

VN Store

Back