ESPN - The Great Heist-man Race of 1997!!!

EverythingOrange

If Danny Wuerffel had’nt won the Heisman in 1996, Peyton Manning would have won it RUNNING AWAY in 1997! - The Media just was NOT going to give it to Another QB from the South / SEC - 2 Years in a row!!!!!! You Cannot Tell me that Charles Woodson from Michigan had a better career In College - OR in the NFL than - Peyton Manning! — Does Anybody still remember his name?????

And what ever happened to Danny Wuerffel, Anyway???????

Last edited:
Sorry fellow Vol fan but, Woodson had an awesome Sr. season that year and a HOF career that spanned a long time. He was worthy but, to allude to your point, he made it easier not to award a southern QB the award the second year in a row.

They kept trying to put different ones up each week, until they found one that caught on. Finally, Woodson caught on and Michigan started playing him on special teams and a little on offense. The media ate it up, especially, ESPN. It didn’t matter what Peyton did, because ESPN had their man.

I remember. Peyton was clearly the best player in college football that year, passing for over 300 yds in most if not all games. Woodson was a showboat CB on a team that was the media darling, and then everyone jumped on the media driven bandwagon to select a defensive player for Heisman. Woodson was the best the fake media could come up with, and he wasn't even close to being the best player in CFB.

Sorry fellow Vol fan but, Woodson had an awesome Sr. season that year and a HOF career that spanned a long time. He was worthy but, to allude to your point, he made it easier not to award a southern QB the award the second year in a row.
I think my biggest problem is him being the only defensive player to win the award. I think other defensive players have had seasons more impressive than Woodson. I think from Johnny Manziel to many underclassmen winning has taken away from the award, not to mention a 4-7 Notre Dame player winning over Johnny.

He had such a great season they didn't even list him on the watch list in mid October.

He was a great DB, but not Heisman Trophy worthy....in fact, it wasn't even the best 2 way player performance

Charles Wodson
7 Int 7 Return Yards 0 Def TD / 11 Receptions 2 TDs / 1 Punt Return TD 283 Return Yards

Carl Pickens (RS Fresh) - *Only 4 games on Defense
4 Int 50 Return Yards 1 Def TD / 7 Receptions 2 TDs / 1 Kick return TD / 594 Kick Return Yards* 2nd in UT history / 46 Punt Return Yards

I actually find it interesting to occasionally revisit one of the worst travesties in college football history. My question is why would you take the time to read and post if you don't like the subject?
Because perhaps you had something new to add. But nope.

VN Store

Back