ESPN: Tampering in College Football

VolFaninFla

Welcome to college football's new 'wild, wild West': The era of tampering

"You want people in our sport to be ethical enough where they don't fall prey to that," Dykes said, "but ... you got to win and you got a high-pressure job and you have all these things and then all of a sudden, you look up and you go, 'Oh, they didn't punish anybody, and they're not going to punish me. So why not?'"

Stanford coach David Shaw has heard that rationale before, and he isn't buying it.

"To go behind another coach's back and recruit somebody on their roster, whether you go through a high school coach or a parent or a 'mentor' or street agent, I think it's disgusting," he said.

Reactions: tbh and Remy
You can call it scummy if you want, good luck stopping it.

If I was a kid that wants to transfer, no damn way I would enter the portal with zero idea what my options are. The fact of the matter is a lot of this stuff is going to be initiated by the athlete.

If I was a kid that wants to transfer, no damn way I would enter the portal with zero idea what my options are. The fact of the matter is a lot of this stuff is going to be initiated by the athlete.

And if you were a "kid" that wants to transfer? I wouldn't give a damn what you did.

Reactions: feathersax
Welcome to college football's new 'wild, wild West': The era of tampering

"You want people in our sport to be ethical enough where they don't fall prey to that," Dykes said, "but ... you got to win and you got a high-pressure job and you have all these things and then all of a sudden, you look up and you go, 'Oh, they didn't punish anybody, and they're not going to punish me. So why not?'"

Stanford coach David Shaw has heard that rationale before, and he isn't buying it.

"To go behind another coach's back and recruit somebody on their roster, whether you go through a high school coach or a parent or a 'mentor' or street agent, I think it's disgusting," he said.
No $h!t there is going to be tampering. Sonny Dykes said if you've waited till they are in the transfer portal it's to late, meaning he and all coaches are talking to these kids way ahead of time.

Was there ever any doubt that this is what was going to happen?

Nope not surprised....A year and a half ago when the NCAA said the 1 time transfer rule would pass I said it would become just like free agency. I can see a lot of teams signing 17-19 high school kids and keep the other spots open for transfers that's been in college programs for 2-3 years.

Reactions: John Wick
Father/Mother/HSCoach/Uncle/"Handler" : Jack, coach Smith called. He asked if you were happy at State U even though you werent playing. They really want you. Alot more than where you are.

Disgruntled player: Im better than Jones ahead of me. Tell them I'll transfer if they have a spot for me. "F" this place.

There is a culture change that is driving this power shift, and there isn't anything anybody can do about it. It is the same culture change that drives sitting out bowl games and paying players. It could have started happening 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, or 50 years ago, but the culture was different then. However, it was ultimately inevitable given the amount of money that is in the sport today, the amount of money that players stand to make if they turn professional, and the pressure to win. There is just so much at stake, more than previous generations.

Rightly or wrongly; I'm not here to cast judgment on whether it is good or bad.

I don't know if everyone commenting read the entire article start to finish. If you did the last couple of coaches made great points one of whom was Sam Pittman. To recap their points at the end was coaches now need to do a better job with how they handle kids on the scout teams or that have been red shirted. The #7 and 8 LBs, those kids. Previously the staffs had built a relationship with those youngsters during recruiting, but once they fall on the depth chart for a season, often those players were forgotten until they rose up the chart in future years. Pittman says losing any player should bother a coach and in that he's correct. Some coaches as in previous years could give a rats axx to this day if a scout team player leaves. Coaches are going to have to change as the dynamic of the power between players and coaches has been tweaked. That's why you're not going to see a whole lot of players sitting the bench being developed for significant playing time only his senior year. They're going to be long gone if the staff forgets about them for a season or two. And I personally side with the players, no one gets better watching others play in the actual games.

I don't know if everyone commenting read the entire article start to finish. If you did the last couple of coaches made great points one of whom was Sam Pittman. To recap their points at the end was coaches now need to do a better job with how they handle kids on the scout teams or that have been red shirted. The #7 and 8 LBs, those kids. Previously the staffs had built a relationship with those youngsters during recruiting, but once they fall on the depth chart for a season, often those players were forgotten until they rose up the chart in future years. Pittman says losing any player should bother a coach and in that he's correct. Some coaches as in previous years could give a rats axx to this day if a scout team player leaves. Coaches are going to have to change as the dynamic of the power between players and coaches has been tweaked. That's why you're not going to see a whole lot of players sitting the bench being developed for significant playing time only his senior year. They're going to be long gone if the staff forgets about them for a season or two. And I personally side with the players, no one gets better watching others play in the actual games.
Yep. Pittman gets it. You basically have to continue recruiting your players once you get them to commit and once they're a member of your team. Especially highly recruited guys you recruited hard but might not be playing that much.

Just because you enter the portal, doesn’t mean you have to pull the trigger on the transfer.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yep. Pittman gets it. You basically have to continue recruiting your players once you get them to commit and once they're a member of your team. Especially highly recruited guys you recruited hard but might not be playing that much.

Lord, those guys do earn their money then. How does a coach really build a player if he’s kissing his ass every day to keep him?

Just my opinion,maybe this transfer portal deal willl cool down in a couple of years if players find the "grass isn't greener"at the new school.Maybe need to wait it out.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Just my opinion,maybe this transfer portal deal willl cool down in a couple of years if players find the "grass isn't greener"at the new school.Maybe need to wait it out.

I hope you’re right but I am skeptic. 90% of the college athletes have a bad experience at some point with a coach, asst coach , etc

More so, parents, handlers etc will continue to benefit from the recruiting “perks” if allowed. Most college athletes will say the best part of the experience is being recruited. EVERY parent will say that.

Colleges better increase their recruiting budget 4 fold if they’re going to have to re-recruit their entire roster each year.

Reactions: feathersax
There is a culture change that is driving this power shift, and there isn't anything anybody can do about it. It is the same culture change that drives sitting out bowl games and paying players. It could have started happening 10 years ago, or 20 years ago, or 50 years ago, but the culture was different then. However, it was ultimately inevitable given the amount of money that is in the sport today, the amount of money that players stand to make if they turn professional, and the pressure to win. There is just so much at stake, more than previous generations.

Rightly or wrongly; I'm not here to cast judgment on whether it is good or bad.

I would add in risk of injury and post-career quality of life is a huge issue with players now when deciding whether to transfer or leave early for the draft. I think those two things are going to drive a lot of decision making going forward. And honestly, it’s smart to think of those things. Football is only temporary.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back