ESPN loves us

VolForLife83

1. Nico Iamaleava, QB, Tennessee: There’s no surprise here. One of the most highly touted and anticipated players in last year’s high school class is set to get his shot at being Tennessee’s starting quarterback this season after a four-touchdown, MVP-winning performance in the Citrus Bowl last season. Iamaleava may be young, slight and inexperienced, but the hype surrounding him has been present for a reason. — Paolo Uggetti (ESPN)

1. Nico Iamaleava, QB, Tennessee: There’s no surprise here. One of the most highly touted and anticipated players in last year’s high school class is set to get his shot at being Tennessee’s starting quarterback this season after a four-touchdown, MVP-winning performance in the Citrus Bowl last season. Iamaleava may be young, slight and inexperienced, but the hype surrounding him has been present for a reason. — Paolo Uggetti (ESPN)

So, is this a backhanded compliment or a derogatory shot at Nico??

They could have said something like "Nico showed great poise and maturity in the Citrus Bowl despite his lack of playing time last Fall"

Glad he got noticed but being ESPN, IMO, they mucked up their description of NL. Trust that Nico will use this as bulletin board material. GBO

I know that he’s still young and somewhat inexperienced, but is he still “slight”? I thought I saw that he gained a good amount of muscle and weight over the off-season.
I, for one, think he's still a bit on the thin side. I know every QB can't be a Roman Gabriel, Doug Williams, or Stetson Bennett physique. But he just seems breakable if he takes a solid hit. Hopefully, he proves to be one of those tough, sinewy, "fooled you didn't I?" guys. Kind of like maybe Fran Tarkenton

So, is this a backhanded compliment or a derogatory shot at Nico??

They could have said something like "Nico showed great poise and maturity in the Citrus Bowl despite his lack of playing time last Fall"

Glad he got noticed but being ESPN, IMO, they mucked up their description of NL. Trust that Nico will use this as bulletin board material. GBO
Gosh, I sure don’t see anything in the description that’s a derogatory shot.

Gosh, I sure don’t see anything in the description that’s a derogatory shot.
No people apparently expect media outlets to put the cart before the horse.

If you kept this article the same but changed the team he played for to one of our rivals, everyone would be in here talking about how he’s only played one game.

Nico’s gonna be incredible, but people expecting national media outlets to be on the train before he proves it are setting themselves up to be annoyed.

I tend to disagree. I don't think espn likes us at all. I wish I was wrong, because I love nothing more than seeing a lot of orange and Tennessee talk on espn. The opening song/video of game day every Saturday morning used to include Tennessee and even mentioned us in the song. (give me that rocky top Tennessee)
We went 3 to 4 years with none or tiny blip of video (usually a Tennessee player getting drubbed). Last season there was a little more positive reflection. I m hoping this new season will put us back where we belong. I'll never forgive espn for its assault on Peyton Manning's Heisman by pushing pushing pushing the michigan defensive back Woodsen. They are quick to throw us under the bus.

I thought Nico was around 215 to 220 now. That’s good size even at 6’6”. He will probably be around 230 in the next year.

ESPN also has this to say later in the same article:

Ten First Time Playoff Teams:

5. Tennessee: With a loaded schedule that includes road trips to Georgia and Oklahoma -- plus a neutral site nonconference game against NC State -- the Vols have ample opportunities to impress the selection committee even as a two-loss team.

ESPN exist to make money and do their part. Any other perceived “love or hate” is just that…a perception. They are to be handled the same way you might handle a rattlesnake…with great caution and preparedness to destroy immediately. I do, however, think Nico is ready to ascend the staircase of QBism in the SEC whether ESPN loves us or not. JMO

I, for one, think he's still a bit on the thin side. I know every QB can't be a Roman Gabriel, Doug Williams, or Stetson Bennett physique. But he just seems breakable if he takes a solid hit. Hopefully, he proves to be one of those tough, sinewy, "fooled you didn't I?" guys. Kind of like maybe Fran Tarkenton

Stetson Bennett, Fran Tarkenton. Two shots at ga for the price of one. ( however diminutive, "Sir Francis" was one tough cookie)

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Stetson Bennett, Fran Tarkenton. Two shots at ga for the price of one. ( however diminutive, "Sir Francis" was one tough cookie)
Stetson Bennett was a hell of a college quarterback honestly. Everybody always underestimated him because he had a goofy afro and the name of an investment banker, but he was a winner. When Georgia needed plays, he made them. They missed him this past year, he'd have found a way to beat Bama in that tight game.

Reactions: VolTull
I tend to disagree. I don't think espn likes us at all. I wish I was wrong, because I love nothing more than seeing a lot of orange and Tennessee talk on espn. The opening song/video of game day every Saturday morning used to include Tennessee and even mentioned us in the song. (give me that rocky top Tennessee)
We went 3 to 4 years with none or tiny blip of video (usually a Tennessee player getting drubbed). Last season there was a little more positive reflection. I m hoping this new season will put us back where we belong. I'll never forgive espn for its assault on Peyton Manning's Heisman by pushing pushing pushing the michigan defensive back Woodsen. They are quick to throw us under the bus.

I don't think they care either way about Tennessee to be honest. I don't think they sit around and hate on specific programs/teams (every school tends to think ESPN hates them).

I do think certain personalities may have biases but not ESPN as an entirety.

VN Store

Back