ESPN gives McRae an A

McRae did take (and airball) the last shot. In the prior offensive possession, Stokes got a steal on the inbound under our own basket before the questionable charging call.
That "charge" almost got me a "charge" from a police officer for loud noise .....

Chris4Vols22 said:
Not a rhetorical question, but what can JR Smith do that McRae can't?

Plenty, but others have covered it.

Last edited:
You people change opinions over night. It was a mediocre year but it was a good way to end the season. It was mediocre when we have inexcusable losses that almost costed us a post season entry. Losses like: losing at home to NC state, showing up lost against Xavier, getting beat by UTEP's triangle defense, losing at home to A&M, losing on the road to Missouri when the game was very winnable and then losing to Florida all three times. A season is more than just the post season play and before the tournament, Tennessee's season was mediocre.

Well then I guess we shouldn't have hired CDT after his mediocre season. He lost to WKU, beast GSU in ot, beat 6-25 new D1 school Houston Baptist by 5, beat ND State by 1, lost to ECU, got blew out by UAB. Without those horrible losses his team makes the NCAA.

Basketball isn't football. Individual games don't matter if you win enough over the year to make the postseason. Then what you do in the postseason counts. If losing to a few worse teams means mediocre season than most of Pearl's years were also mediocre.

Well then I guess we shouldn't have hired CDT after his mediocre season. He lost to WKU, beast GSU in ot, beat 6-25 new D1 school Houston Baptist by 5, beat ND State by 1, lost to ECU, got blew out by UAB. Without those horrible losses his team makes the NCAA.

Basketball isn't football. Individual games don't matter if you win enough over the year to make the postseason. Then what you do in the postseason counts. If losing to a few worse teams means mediocre season than most of Pearl's years were also mediocre.
But it's the way we lost those games that makes it tough. I'm not even going to compare CM to BP

Reactions: 1 person
But it's the way we lost those games that makes it tough. I'm not even going to compare CM to BP

I'm not going to act like I watched USM games last year but the scores tell it all. UAB beat them by 24. That is worse than two miracles that beat us against A&M. Beating ND State by 1 is just as bad. Losing to WKU is just as bad. Beating a 6 win team new to D1. by 5 is just as bad. So CDT had a mediocre year also. He would have made the NCAA if he beat UAB and WKU.

The end results were what counted with Pearl. Several of his years he had similar records with higher pre season expectations and worse post season results than last year. People say the years were good since we made the NCAA those years. They should say the same about last year then. If not they should say Pearl had 2 good years. He had several highly ranked teams that won about what last year did and didn't get as far. Or as far s their ranking said they should have.

Basketball is a tournament sport. Getting there and what you do then is what is important.

Ok so Yeah basketball is a tournament sport where to get In the tournament you have to win regular season games to get in ,yet you say regular season doesn't matter...

Ok so Yeah basketball is a tournament sport where to get In the tournament you have to win regular season games to get in ,yet you say regular season doesn't matter...

We won enough to get in. We finished better than expected at the beginning of the year going by where we ranked pre season. That is a good year.

Individual losses like A&M dont matter because we still made the tournament and finished well.

That is how basketball works. Every year teams lose to less talented teams and still have a good year. You can have an off shooting night or many other things could happen.

We won enough to get in. We finished better than expected at the beginning of the year going by where we ranked pre season. That is a good year.

Individual losses like A&M dont matter because we still made the tournament and finished well.

That is how basketball works. Every year teams lose to less talented teams and still have a good year. You can have an off shooting night or many other things could happen.
I get what your saying but when you say regular season games don't really count it sounds bad

Seems like you have a better chance of sticking around in the tournament if you've developed the habit of winning in the regular season; of knowing how to fight back when you get down for whatever reason. I would think that you would want to be able to think, OK, we've been here before, and here's what we did to turn it around. If you give up lots of flaky losses in the regular season, it doesn't seem like you're developing that mental discipline that winners need. JMO IMO FWIW SIAP ETC :dunno:

VN Store

Back