ESPN At It Again

I'm not sure Bill Snyder is the 8th best CFB coach of all time as the list says, but what he did at Kansas St is incredible and is unfairly crapped on by many people who don't think he was all that great of a coach.

There is absolutely no reason in the world why Kansas St "should" have had a good football program for a variety of reasons. What he did during that 1995-2003 period was particularly nuts (won at least 10 games 7 times in 9 years)
Still he did it at KSU. Where's Ken Sparks? 5 Championships (I think 3 runner ups) and a 77% winning percentage. He was a great coach because he was a great coach at the NAIA level. He could have been successful at a P5 school but probably not as so. Snyder was in his sweet spot, and was smart enough to know it. That I will give him enormous credit for.

If you had to sit down and just do some X and O’s coaching, I’m taking Leach over Fulmer. Once he lost Cut his career started dropping.
Leach is 143-97 - not even 60% with divisions champs on his resumé. Offensive genius, yes, fun when he's not your coach in press conferences, yes, but a great head coach, no. MSU might give him 3 more years, then he'll be Saban's OC.

Reactions: mpfvol
Ranking the top 100 college football head coaches of the past 50 years

Majors and Fulmer rank 50th and 49th on their list but some guys that have never won a national championship are ranked ahead of them. It’s like they said “well they won a national championship so I kind of have to put them in the top 50, so I’ll put them at the tail end of everyone else”. The disrespect is real. I think it’s laughable to have these coaches ranked ahead of Johnny and Phil:

48. Mark D’Antonio
41. Mike Leach
36. Brian Kelly
35. Mark Richt
32. Barry Alvarez
28. Gary Patterson
27. Frank Beamer
8. Bill Snyder

Also included Bear Bryant’s accomplishments from the 50s and 60s even though this is suppose to be a list for the past 50 years…
I think Bear Bryant won 3 National Championships during the 70"s

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
That's impossible to know though. My point is that there are 20 guys with Snyder's results and I think you need a national title to break into the top 10.

That's fair but Bill Snyder did perform a miracle at Kansas State so I'm good with it. Some things done at smaller programs are more impressive than winning a Natty at a powerhouse imo

Majors and Fulmer rank 50th and 49th on their list but some guys that have never won a national championship are ranked ahead of them. It’s like they said “well they won a national championship so I kind of have to put them in the top 50, so I’ll put them at the tail end of everyone else”. The disrespect is real. I think it’s laughable to have these coaches ranked ahead of Johnny and Phil:

48. Mark D’Antonio
41. Mike Leach
36. Brian Kelly
35. Mark Richt
32. Barry Alvarez
28. Gary Patterson
27. Frank Beamer
8. Bill Snyder

Also included Bear Bryant’s accomplishments from the 50s and 60s even though this is suppose to be a list for the past 50 years…

That’s Mizzou alum Bill Connelly (and Tigerboard alum OkieTiger)

A couple of things that hurt Phil and Majors: (1) they didn't have the long stretch at a DII school and build up ridiculous numbers before moving to D1 and (2) they coached in the SEC when there is no such thing as a "down year." Usually, there are two or more in the top five or six. So its tough to put up the numbers. Richt I think got a pass on those things in these rankings, but Fulmer didn't.

Reactions: Wireless1

48. Mark D’Antonio
41. Mike Leach
36. Brian Kelly
35. Mark Richt
32. Barry Alvarez
28. Gary Patterson
27. Frank Beamer
8. Bill Snyder

Their opinion means absolute nothing to me. They are a cancer to College football!

Considering the amount of money Fulmer has taken from the university for being subpar, I’m really struggling to get much fire behind this fight. I appreciate what he did back in the day, but Phil ended up leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: 08Vol
I don't watch orr read anything from the talking heads at ESPN. Even when I watch a ball game I mute the sound and never hear any of the ads either. It makes the viewing experience so much better.
100%. ESPN is the original Woke infection! We literally can NOT trust anything they say and their motives are crystal clear. They are nothing more than an opinion-based sports outlet. As far as this list goes....those type things move my emotions meter ZERO!

Reactions: I4Vols and TnVol!
Richt ahead of Fulmer?? GTFOH

Fulmer
152-52 (.745 Win %)
1 National Championship
2 SEC Championships
5 SEC East Championships

Richt
171-64 (.728 Win %)
0 National Championships
2 SEC Championships
6 SEC East Championships
1 ACC Coastal Championship

Head to head match up would be my guess.

I'm curious if any of those coach's could have done more with Peyton Manning, especially in bowl games. I understand that Peyton had an amazing/record holding career in Knoxville, but very little hardware to show for it. Also wonder how they would have finished with loaded teams '99-'01?

Also this is just cheap sports journalism because it's August and we want to talk football, but there's nothing to really talk about yet. Not ESPN, who I despise, taking a shot at Fulmer or Majors.
I also don’t care for ESPN reporting only reason I’m ever on channel is they are carrying a game I want to see. Now about Manning’s bowl appearances , I did a little digging once on bowl game stats. After a couple of nights work I found that Manning did have good stats in all bowl games. He did not have a game that was lost that the running game was effective or that the defense did a good job stopping the opponents offense. I also used to think they were bad games until I did this stat search. I think we all just held him to a higher standard and expected not average but well above average stats. No he didn’t look good in those bowls but the stats don’t look bad. I guess even Superman flys a little slow sometimes but he always makes an impact.

Does this list say Mike Leach is a better head coach than Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer? I mean could you invalidate your opinion any faster than that?
Impossible to really compare coaches from such different eras as Leach and Majors. Football is a different game now. The skills and demeanor that serve well in one era might not fit well in another. It’s like asking who was a better basketball Center, Bill Russell or Shaq. The answer is “yes”

Maybe it's the difference time makes, but all of those were above K State when they started. He left Iowa st in 72 which is the start of the 50 year window.

Kansas State lost to Austin Peay in 1987.....A 1-10 Austin Peay.

Let that sink in for just a minute.........................a 1-10 Governor team beat K-State in Manhattan.
Bill Snyder is a miracle worker

100%. ESPN is the original Woke infection! We literally can NOT trust anything they say and their motives are crystal clear. They are nothing more than an opinion-based sports outlet. As far as this list goes....those type things move my emotions meter ZERO!
You and I are definitely on the same page. Woke is weak!

Reactions: tennrich1
Maybe it's the difference time makes, but all of those were above K State when they started. He left Iowa st in 72 which is the start of the 50 year window.

Pitt was winless the year before Majors came on board. There’s not a dimes difference between KState & Iowa St. I might make the argument ISU is tougher job cause Iowa is a better in state program than Kansas.

Reactions: GAVol
Head to head match up would be my guess.
Maybe, but the head to head only favors Richt 5-3. That’s not enough to make up for Fulmer having a National Championship. People normally get too worked up over lists like these, but there’s a legit gripe in having Richt ranked ahead of Fulmer.

Snyder was a do more with less coach... It didn't matter who was on his team, he still produced.
But to be top 10 you need to do more with more, if Kirby doesn’t at least win the SEC he will fall to Ritch level. If nothing else can you be top 10 if you don’t occasionally recruit top 10

VN Store

Back