Erik Ainge

Had two things happened the outcome of the game could have been different and the "HateAinge" crowd wouldn't be on the radar:

1)The offensive line given better protection. ND's defense is NOT that good overall but yet they got inside and put plenty of pressure on Ainge on numerous occassions.

2)Had the receivers caught those balls that were outright catchable and even half of those that were "highlight reel" plays, Ainge's confidence would have gone up, we would have gone down the field and scored more points, and perhaps some of the resulting mistakes would not have happened.

What I don't understand from the "hateAinge" crowd is that it is and has been wrong to talk bad of Clausen but those same people are trashing Ainge.

Clausen has seen two great systems on offense, both LSU and UT. He has played numerous games and has learned from his brother as well. In theory there is no excuse for Clausen not to be prepared. Ainge has seen a mediocre offensive system of Sanders, little playing time with "you're as good as starting, well maybe not, well maybe so", and this is only his second year.

He's not perfect. We dealt with Casey's lackluster performance along with the Dog Faced Gremlin of his brother Rick. Give Ainge a break and let him prove us right or wrong with the same chance every other QB in our history has seen.

As a matter of fact, if you have better ideas of how Ainge should play, train, or prepare since he IS our starting QB, please call the office and let CPF hear your thoughts. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Originally posted by milohimself@Nov 7, 2005 2:43 AM
Alright, fine, Ainge is the only bad player on offense.
[snapback]184886[/snapback]​

i believe i stated offense in the quote you relpied to!!! Maybe you could not read it i dont know!! but it never had angies name in it. and why dont you read everything before you reply anyway!!! But is not playing good not at all!!

Originally posted by thebiglowboski@Nov 7, 2005 9:20 PM
why dont you read everything before you reply anyway!!! 
[snapback]185452[/snapback]​

I can think of a couple of reasons... :question:

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 7, 2005 6:51 PM
Actually, now that you mention it, it does look similiar to Shuler's soph. year.  Except Shuler kept getting better throught the year, ending with a great bowl game against BC.

But yeah, Shuler looked like a great athlete making plays without knowing why he made them for a while.
[snapback]185385[/snapback]​

Shuler didn't have to worry about the qb shuffle all yr

Originally posted by volmanjr@Nov 7, 2005 11:04 PM
Shuler didn't have to worry about the qb shuffle all yr
[snapback]185533[/snapback]​

He did, but not to the same extent.He split reps 50-50 with Colquitt through the GA game, which was early then. After FL, it was his. But that was his first year playing. His Jr. year he almost won the Heistman - which is basically where Ainge is experience wise.

He didn't have the luxury of playing his freshman year like Ainge did. He was stuck behind Kelly.

They heavily restricted the offensive package for Shuler until his Jr. year. I think that would help Ainge a little, at least while we get through this things. Shuler had a lot of that same "spinning" look at times that Ainge has. But I think Shuler's football instincts were a little better at this stage - and he was more accurate when he did throw.

Well, I believe that he is scared of being tackled, hurt again, which is a problem that can be fixed. Once they get too close, he throws the ball anywhere, from intentional groundings, interceptions, to doing that slip and slide that he did at the end of last Saturday's game. He could have possibly gotten another yard, and stopped the clock, but he slid for safety reasons instead, and the clock kept running. That is how it looks to me, anyways.

Yeah but you can't blame him for sliding. Most every QB does that. Once slide drew a personal foul on ND. I'll take the 15 yards anytime.

By the way, welcome to the board. :hi:

Thanks for the welcome.
I know what you mean, but we aren't talking about most quarterbacks. I mean, his is related to his spastic throws, and nervous actions. Like I said, that is how it looks to me. He is looking for someone to pass the ball to, and the closer they get to tackling him, the more . . . "OMG, OMG, who do I throw it to!!!" . . . and then he either throws it down, throws it away with no clue of who he just threw it to, or he slides out of bounds. He is avoiding being tackled. I can understand his worry, but being that he is still trying to play, he needs to be honest with himself, and know that he wants to get totally back into the game. If he knows he doesn't want the whole package, then he shouldn't bother playing anymore.

Regardless the problems that we have, we still have to work with our options. It is the job of the coaching staff as a whole to get the most out of these players until better ones come along.

Originally posted by oklavol@Nov 6, 2005 4:36 PM
I think Crompton is the most highly recruited qb prospect we have had at UT since Manning and Shuler.

Ainge hasnt done anything this year to improve his chances of starting next year IMO.

I think Crompton gets the QB starting job, and  we wont see Ainge anymore unless Crompton gets hurt.
[snapback]184528[/snapback]​

OklaVol, EA was very highly recruited as well. He was a blue chipper big time!

I still think ol' EA is going to be just fine. He will start to shine in these last three games.

Don't forget the appearance either. He became the first UT qb ever to do a post game interview with TWO gold earrings in his ears. PITIFUL!

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 8, 2005 12:57 PM
Don't forget the appearance either. He became the first UT qb ever to do a post game interview with TWO gold earrings in his ears. PITIFUL!
[snapback]185774[/snapback]​

What does that have to do with anything?

Originally posted by holdemvol@Nov 8, 2005 1:00 PM
What does that have to do with anything?
[snapback]185778[/snapback]​

nothing, thats just what old people say, just wait... it will go away soon.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 7, 2005 11:25 PM
He did, but not to the same extent.He split reps 50-50 with Colquitt through the GA game, which was early then.  After FL, it was his.  But that was his first year playing.  His Jr. year he almost won the Heistman - which is basically where Ainge is experience wise.

He didn't have the luxury of playing his freshman year like Ainge did.  He was stuck behind Kelly. 

They heavily restricted the offensive package for Shuler until his Jr. year.  I think that would help Ainge a little, at least while we get through this things.  Shuler had a lot of that same "spinning" look at times that Ainge has.  But I think Shuler's football instincts were a little better at this stage - and he was more accurate when he did throw.
[snapback]185550[/snapback]​

It also helped Shuler that the Vols had Charlie Garner (928 rush yds, 2 TDs), James Stewart (386 rush yds, 7 TDs), Aaron Hayden (321 rush yds, 1 TD), Mose Phillips (239 rush yards, 2 TDs), and Mario Brunson (105 rush yds, 2 TDs). Not to mention that Shuler himself rushed for 286 yards and 11 TDs. In all, the Vols averaged 211.4 rushing yards per game in addition to the 177 yards passing per game.

Originally posted by Lexvol@Nov 6, 2005 11:05 PM
I tried to explain this earlier.  Problem is that he is leaving his nuts with the cute little vixen that he visits on Friday night. 

If they glue his butt to a chair in the film room, and work with him he will be fine.  People go from tentative to aggressive play all the time. He looked plenty smart enough last year.
[snapback]184829[/snapback]​

Nobody MAKES Peyton go to the film room. U cannot make him good, he must want it!

Originally posted by CHATTAVOL@Nov 8, 2005 1:25 PM
nothing, thats just what old people say, just wait... it will go away soon.
[snapback]185803[/snapback]​

It is called having some personal pride. To look like that is unexcusable because he is representing MY University! More Fulmer lack of discipline!

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 8, 2005 2:47 PM
It also helped Shuler that the Vols had Charlie Garner (928 rush yds, 2 TDs), James Stewart (386 rush yds, 7 TDs), Aaron Hayden (321 rush yds, 1 TD), Mose Phillips (239 rush yards, 2 TDs), and Mario Brunson (105 rush yds, 2 TDs).  Not to mention that Shuler himself rushed for 286 yards and 11 TDs.  In all, the Vols averaged 211.4 rushing yards per game in addition to the 177 yards passing per game.
[snapback]185833[/snapback]​

Shuler's jr season, Charlie Garner rushed for 1161 yards and 8 TDs, James Stewart rushed for 537 yards and 9 TDs, Hayden had 217 yards and 1 TD, and Phillips had 199 yards and 3 TDs. Shuler only had 73 yards rushing and 3 TDs but passed for 2354 yards, 25 TDs, and 8 int. In all, the Vols averaged 238.3 yards rushing per game in addition to 242.3 yards passing per game.

I have heard a few people point this out already. But, I'll say it again. Did you watch the UTK/ND game? Did you see Quinn's stats his sophomore year? Wow, nasty ugly bad! I bet ND fans are sitting up there right now thinking "man I wish we would have kicked this crappy heisman-quality QB off the team after that horrible sophomore season." What do you think? You think thats how they feel? I'm not getting into the juvenile behavior (name calling, etc), but all I am going to say is that I'm gonna find you and laugh in your face when Ainge is a stud his senior season.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 6, 2005 4:52 PM
Lex, he is terrified. Anytime an opponant gets near him he chucks the ball somewhere. He don't care as long as he don't get hit. He is terrified and finished. You cannot coach that out of a player!
[snapback]184547[/snapback]​

Did you even watch the ND game? You see what you want to see. He took a number of hits in that game. He had a 10 yard run for a first down. He ran down field one time and got out of bounds and took a nasty hit (even turned out to be a personal foul on ND). You are entitled to your opinion. But, excuse me if I don't accept the validity of your opinion as anything more than bias.

Brady Quinn's statistics:

2003 157-of-332 for 1831 yards, 9 TDs, 15 int, 93.52 qbr
2004 191-of-353 for 2586 yards, 17 TDs, 10 int, 125.87 qbr
2005 195-of-299 for 2647 yards, 23 TDs, 4 int, 162.29 qbr

Note: in his last 6 games, only USC and Tennessee have held Quinn under 300 yards passing.

Erik Ainge's statistics:

2004 109-of-198 for 1452 yards, 17 TDs, 9 ints, 135.89 qbr
2005 48-of-117 for 510 yards, 3 TDs, 6 ints, 75.85 qbr
TOT 157-of-315 for 1962 yards, 20 TDs, 15 ints, 113.59 qbr

The biggest difference is number of starts/attempts for Quinn compared to Ainge. Combine both of Ainge's seasons and compare to Quinn's freshman year. Notice that Quinn still had more attempts his freshman season than Ainge has had combined the last 2 seasons.

And, Quinn is just one of many examples. There are QB's on tons of teams every year where the fans want them gone because they are not patient with the QB. A new OC will come in and restore Ainge's mechanics and improve his "understanding" of the game. Then we can see the kind of improvement Quinn, Campbell, and others have had.

yep in the same phrase you can say there are more that never pan out. chris simms, c.j leak, ronald curry, brock berlin. the list is endless.

So, what you are saying is don't take a chance on a guy reaching his potential (which in Ainge's case is the sky) because he MIGHT become a bust. Thats a good philosophy to follow.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 8, 2005 2:54 PM
It is called having some personal pride. To look like that is unexcusable because he is representing MY University! More Fulmer lack of discipline!
[snapback]185842[/snapback]​

So he has no personal pride because YOU don't like that he wears earings? This is not 1960 sarge and I really don't see the relevance here other than just another thing for you to complain about. The guy was not wearing a wife beater with a cigarette behind his ear.

VN Store

Back