Erik Ainge loves him some Butch Jones

He's local media and don't want to lose his inside info when it comes to talking tn football. He'd be stupid to publicly say anything negative about jones or the current staff.

Reactions: 13 people
Yeah i doubt he would want to lose that gig on Jones coaching show. With that said EA has tons of knowledge about football . Remember he was a student of Cutliff

Reactions: 3 people
Ainge says he likes Butch b/c he's content going 9-3 or 10-2 winning the Division with an SEC championship sprinkled in as long as the program is clean. The problem is, Butch hasn't done that (the winning part). And all signs are he'll poop the bed for the 2nd in a roll when things were in his favor.

Reactions: 2 people
he hasn't been known for his great decisions to be fair....i like the guy and enjoyed watching him minus that SEC champ game vs LSU which i still can see when i close my eyes, but i dont really take any opinion of talking heads (that is what he is now) to seriously

Goofy isn't the word. Delusional is much closer to the truth.

If so then why is the EA from his old show much harder on the coaches vs now? He works for a flagship and on the coaches show. His partner works for Vol Network. If you think they don't watch what they say I got some ocean front property in Knox I will sell you.

Last edited:
He's local media and don't want to lose his inside info when it comes to talking tn football. He'd be stupid to publicly say anything negative about jones or the current staff.

Yep....CBJ feeds him inside scoop as long as he keeps CBJ on a pedestal

EA is alright...

I don't expect to hear him publicly bash or talk down about our coaches. I would however bet you a dollar he was screaming at the TV and cursing CBJ (in the comfort of his own home) during some of those awful decisions that we witnessed being made vs Fla!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Funny...I listened to Ainge guest on 104.5 Nashville and he completely defended Butch's every move. Anyone who slightly understands football knew he was full of it. Pure propaganda radio...Jimmy is doing the same. As of now, only Swain is man enough to tell the truth.

EA is alright...

I don't expect to hear him publicly bash or talk down about our coaches. I would however bet you a dollar he was screaming at the TV and cursing CBJ (in the comfort of his own home) during some of those awful decisions that we witnessed being made vs Fla!!!!!
Eric's pretty candid about Butch's faults.

Funny...I listened to Ainge guest on 104.5 Nashville and he completely defended Butch's every move. Anyone who slightly understands football knew he was full of it. Pure propaganda radio...Jimmy is doing the same. As of now, only Swain is man enough to tell the truth.

Bull****
You guys who listen to that show spew more lies about what Hyams and others say. We hear them every day. Ainge doesn't carry water for Butch.

Reactions: 5 people
Eric's pretty candid about Butch's faults.

I listen to him via podcast. It's not that he toes the line. He just played and understands what's going on and speaks logically rather that's going the lazy "the coach sucks" route.

Reactions: 8 people
Bull****
You guys who listen to that show spew more lies about what Hyams and others say. We hear them every day. Ainge doesn't carry water for Butch.

You must not listen too often. I got to the point where I stopped listening, I could swear they had a love affair going on between the two of them

Bull****

Dang. I agree with Rousty about something.

Ainge knows more about football than any of you on this board and he does a good job of logically explaining his position about what is going on at UT.

Most of y'all hate Ainge and Hyams because they won't let any of you call in and go on your irrational rants without backing it up with facts. Once they began to use facts, you cannot refute what they are saying so you just get mad. Why don't y'all keep calling Basilio, he is dumber than most of you and will go along with your ignorant ramblings.

Dang. I agree with Rousty about something.

Ainge knows more about football than any of you on this board and he does a good job of logically explaining his position about what is going on at UT.

Most of y'all hate Ainge and Hyams because they won't let any of you call in and go on your irrational rants without backing it up with facts. Once they began to use facts, you cannot refute what they are saying so you just get mad. Why don't y'all keep calling Basilio, he is dumber than most of you and will go along with your ignorant ramblings.

Ainge couldn't even win a Knoxville Flag Football League game when he came out and played QB. Wouldn't say he knows much more than anyone.

Butch's case is certainly more complex than the NegaVols have made it out to be. We had a certain contingent here from Year 1 onward that claimed Butch was no different than Derek Dooley. There's simply no comparison between the two; Dooley's teams went 5-19 in SEC play and 2-14 in the last two seasons. Jones is 14-19 in SEC play and 9-7 in his last two full seasons. Jones built this program back up to respectability and back into the top half of the SEC. Jones has recruited well consistently and has changed the culture for the good. He's run a clean program. The only thing he hasn't done is prove he can get us to that next level.

The question is whether he's Bo Pelini or Dabo Swinney? Both Pelini and Dabo were stuck at around the same space that Butch is stuck at now for a long time. Dabo eventually made the right coordinator hires and broke through to the top echolon of college football. While I think Bo Pelini was better than given credit for, there's little doubt that he was just kinda stuck in the "good, but not great" category. Every season was 9-4 or 10-4 with some major disappointing losses and after awhile, the fans lost hope that they'd ever see improvement beyond that.

Even the comparison to Ron Zook is starting to look applicable. If Butch continues getting top 10 classes, but can only go 7-5 or 8-4 with them, that was really the Ron Zook MO at Florida.

I can't really fault Ainge or anyone else for still being behind Butch 100%. I was until the Florida game. I still support him, but you can say my skepticism has increased a bit after watching us losing to an inferior Florida team due to poor coaching decisions. I get that Dormady hasn't played too many big games before and he's going to make mistakes, but I still fault the coaches for constantly putting him in the position to make those mistakes.

VN Store

Back