Eric Berry - retire this legends number

VFL 24/7

Legend
I was casually scrolling through twitter and saw a great video from Inky Johnson who was interviewing Eric Berry on his podcast. Tennessee needs to retire this mans number asap. He is the ultimate warrior - beating cancer - coming back and still being a pro bowl caliber player. He was the best defensive player I have personally ever witnessed at Tennessee. Eric Berry represented our university with pure class while on campus, and in his professional career. He is my favorite VOL of all time. Eric Berry is the definition of a Tennessee Volunteer, and he honestly isn't talked about enough.

Agree with most others here with a little twist - put his name AND number in the ring of honor.
That 'honored' number becomes a rolling award for an individual each year given out by players and coaches to a person that exhibits the traits that got the name/number honored in the first place.

Retired numbers need to be saved for those that either gave the ultimate sacrifice while at UT (i.e. Nowling, Klarer, Tucker, and Fuson) or achieved some accomplishment or level of dominance that will likely never be reached again (i.e, White, Manning, Atkins, Majors).

Agree 100%. Put names in Rings of Honor but the number thing is ridiculous.
If we keep retiring numbers long enough, in about 200 years there will be no more numbers left. They will have to go to 3 digits for current players.

I mean, he won the Jim Thorpe award, so yeah.
iu

if you look at the criteria, he qualifies by meeting three of the categories: SEC Player of the Year, Jim Thorpe Award, First Team All American, and you could probably include Int. Return Yards

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
if you look at the criteria, he qualifies by meeting three of the categories: SEC Player of the Year, Jim Thorpe Award, First Team All American, and you could probably include Int. Return Yards

Criteria also requires meeting three of four criteria in the pros as well:
NFL Hall of Fame
NFL Offensive or Defensive MVP
Pro Bowl Status in 5 seasons
Holder of a major career or season statistical record

I was casually scrolling through twitter and saw a great video from Inky Johnson who was interviewing Eric Berry on his podcast. Tennessee needs to retire this mans number asap. He is the ultimate warrior - beating cancer - coming back and still being a pro bowl caliber player. He was the best defensive player I have personally ever witnessed at Tennessee. Eric Berry represented our university with pure class while on campus, and in his professional career. He is my favorite VOL of all time. Eric Berry is the definition of a Tennessee Volunteer, and he honestly isn't talked about enough.
He didn’t play 4 years. I’d retire inky Johnson’s jersey before Eric berry. Inky gave his life for the T

Reactions: m1al

VN Store

Back