Eric Ainge QB rating

WA_Vol

I was looking at EA's qb rating and comparing it to the rest of Division I.

http://utsports.collegesports.com/sports/m.../110705aaa.html

PASSING GP Effic Att-Cmp-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick Clausen 7 118.68 160-95-4 59.4 1107 3 53 158.1
Erik Ainge 6 75.85 117-48-6 41.0 510 3 26 85.0

ESPN lists the top 100 QB's ratings in division I. Clausen was ranked 76th. The 100th players QB rating was 104.5.

76. Rick Clausen, Tennessee 95 160 1107 59.4 3 4 118.68

100. Jimmy Skinner, Marshall 66 116 700 56.9 3 7 104.05

I imagine EA's 85.0 rating is pretty close to the bottom in Div I. I know Cutcliffe is a great QB coach, but he isn't a miracle worker. I think Crompton is going to have a leg up on EA going into the spring with that kind of sophomore season.

Originally posted by oklavol@Nov 8, 2005 1:19 PM
ESPN lists the top 100 QB's ratings in division I.  Clausen was ranked 76th.  The 100th players QB rating was 104.5.
76. Rick Clausen, Tennessee 95 160 1107 59.4  3 4  118.68

100. Jimmy Skinner, Marshall 66 116 700 56.9  3 7  104.05
I imagine EA's 85.0 rating is pretty close to the bottom in Div I.  I know Cutcliffe is a great QB coach, but he isn't a miracle worker.  I think Crompton is going to have a leg up on EA going into the spring with that kind of sophomore season.
[snapback]185798[/snapback]​

Ainge hasn't played very well. I still think Clausen gives us our best chance to win, and I have yet to see Clausen play a terrible game. Sure, he's made mistakes, but so does Peyton. There's been this revisionist history that they have BOTH played equally terrible so what's the difference. That simply isn't true.

Clausen is more consistent, sees the field better, manages the game better, and understands his team better. I'd love to see him play now that Foster has found something and the line can run block a little.

For those out there who deal in absolutes, I AM NOT AN AINGE HATER.

Originally posted by Liper@Nov 8, 2005 1:44 PM
Ainge hasn't played very well.  I still think Clausen gives us our best chance to win, and I have yet to see Clausen play a terrible game.  Sure, he's made mistakes, but so does Peyton.  There's been this revisionist history that they have BOTH played equally terrible so what's the difference.  That simply isn't true.

Clausen is more consistent, sees the field better, manages the game better, and understands his team better.  I'd love to see him play now that Foster has found something and the line can run block a little.

For those out there who deal in absolutes, I AM NOT AN AINGE HATER.
[snapback]185811[/snapback]​

I agree. Clausen is the better qb right now. Its all in the coaching staff's approach, either 1) play to win now; or 2) the season is over let's look to the future.

However, the now has become the future, because not being bowl eligible is a big blow to the program's future. It means extra practice time, prestige, etc. The Vols definately need th extra practice. The 16 straight bowl appearances is the 3rd longest current streak in the NCAA.

Ironic that we are running the ball better now that Ainge is starting at QB the whole game. Teams defenses are having to respect that WHOLE field because of Ainge's arm. Whether you want to admit it or not, that DOES have an impact on the current strength of our running game. Dont take that to mean I am belittling Foster's efforts. I think he is going to be a great RB at UTK. He runs hard and with great determination.

Originally posted by therickbol@Nov 8, 2005 2:49 PM
Ironic that we are running the ball better now that Ainge is starting at QB the whole game. Teams defenses are having to respect that WHOLE field because of Ainge's arm. Whether you want to admit it or not, that DOES have an impact on the current strength of our running game. Dont take that to mean I am belittling Foster's efforts. I think he is going to be a great RB at UTK. He runs hard and with great determination.
[snapback]185836[/snapback]​

However, the defenses are getting easier too. 5 of the Vols first 6 opponents are ranked in the top 26 in total defense.

I guess I'm in the "in-between" camp, since I don't think either of them gives us a good chance to win this year. At this point, since I've pretty much thrown in the towel on '05, I'm fine with trying to get Erik as much PT as possible in an attempt to tune him up and get his psyche back in order for next year. Even if Crompton is supposed to be the Second Coming of Peyton, I wouldn't mind having a Junior with a lot of experience on the squad, if you know what I mean.

As for the "Clausen gives us the best chance to win" theory stated above. . . .I just don't follow. He's in: we can't run the ball or score. Erik plays: we turn the ball over. It's really a "lose-lose situation" right now. . . . .or should I say "lose-lose-lose-lose?"

i agree oklavol crompton is hopefully our best option at QB next year. cutcliffe i don't think can make ainge that much better. it would be a miracle

Ainge doesn't even have enough attempts to pass what Brady Quinn even did his freshman season. Ainge has not been getting the practice reps nor game reps that a starting qb in the SEC should.

Brady Quinn freshman season:
2003 157-of-332 for 1831 yards, 9 TDs, 15 int, 93.52 qbr

Erik Ainge total career:
TOT 157-of-315 for 1962 yards, 20 TDs, 15 ints, 113.59 qbr

Quinn's stats continue to improve....
2004 191-of-353 for 2586 yards, 17 TDs, 10 int, 125.87 qbr
2005 195-of-299 for 2647 yards, 23 TDs, 4 int, 162.29 qbr

Originally posted by smokedog#3@Nov 8, 2005 3:19 PM
i agree oklavol crompton is hopefully our best option at QB next year.  cutcliffe i don't think can make ainge that much better.  it would be a miracle
[snapback]185854[/snapback]​

"miracle"
lol, what a joke. i guess Quinn has been a miracle at ND. Campbell was a miracle at Auburn. Palmer was a miracle at USC. Come on dude, get a clue.

therickbol is right. Playing Clausen does absolutely nothing for us, except make Ainge think about transfering even more than he is already. EA will be a fine QB next year. Let's not forget that his coaching has sucked since he has been here and he has also split rep's since August.

like i said on the other post there are far more busts than QB's like the 3 you named. you can even take a look at casey clausen who got worse as his career went along. ainge looks like a sophomore QB in high school, in my opinion it is going to take alot to get him not to throw into double coverage, or everytime he gets pressure throwing it into the ground. i'm not saying throw him away, but i don't see him turning it around. he could prove me wrong though. i hope he does.

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 8, 2005 2:54 PM
However, the defenses are getting easier too.  5 of the Vols first 6 opponents are ranked in the top 26 in total defense.
[snapback]185841[/snapback]​

They have been weaker defenses, but it is true that with Clausen in the game a defense does not have to worry about the deep ball. It is unfortunate that RC is limited physically because if he had EA's arm I think he would be one hell of a QB.

I think Ainge is the lowest rated QB in the ncaa now. Bare none. He's not even close to breaking the top 100 listed at espn.

The way Ainge is playing right now, he couldnt start for probably 3/4 of the teams in Division I. He's completed around 40% of his passes and throwing twice as many int's as td's. That gets you benched, whether your playing for UT or Central Florida.

Even a dramatic improvement in Ainge next year, would make him an average QB by div I standards. Crompton is the best QB prospect UT has had since Peyton Manning and Heath Shuler.

QB prospects are the most scrutinized position in high school. They go to camps and are evalauted like an NFL combine. He's rated by 2 different recruiting sources, as the #2 and #3 prospect, and the QB position is the most highly examined position.

When is the last time a no. 2 QB prospect didnt pan out anywhere? I'm sure its happened, but not very often I think. Compare that to the the lowest rated passer in Div I this year. Who would you start?

Originally posted by therickbol@Nov 8, 2005 4:31 PM
"miracle"  
lol, what a joke. i guess Quinn has been a miracle at ND. Campbell was a miracle at Auburn. Palmer was a miracle at USC. Come on dude, get a clue.
[snapback]185864[/snapback]​

Was Quin, Campbell or Palmer the lowest rated passer in div I their sophomore year??? So I guess you would bench the no. 2 high school QB prospect in the nation last year, to play the lowest rated passer in div. I. Smart.

I've seen wha Ainge can do this year. Now lets see what Crompton can do next year. It wont take much to get a better QB rating then Ainge has this year.

Before everyone hatches all their chickens, why don't we first see how Crompton does in rehab? The kid did just have major surgery on his shoulder, you know. Hmmmm. . . .I'm trying to remember the last time we had a QB suffer a shoulder injury and how he did immediately thereafter. . . . .Hmmmmm. . . .takers?

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Nov 8, 2005 8:33 PM
Before everyone hatches all their chickens, why don't we first see how Crompton does in rehab?  The kid did just have major surgery on his shoulder, you know.  Hmmmm. . . .I'm trying to remember the last time we had a QB suffer a shoulder injury and how he did immediately thereafter. . . . .Hmmmmm. . . .takers?
[snapback]186062[/snapback]​

So I guess you've already told your kids their no santa clause too........... :ermm:

Originally posted by oklavol@Nov 8, 2005 7:46 PM
So I guess you've already told your kids their no santa clause too........... :ermm:
[snapback]186066[/snapback]​

Not this year. :focus:

Originally posted by smokedog#3@Nov 8, 2005 3:19 PM
i agree oklavol crompton is hopefully our best option at QB next year.  cutcliffe i don't think can make ainge that much better.  it would be a miracle
[snapback]185854[/snapback]​

Why is everyone on Crompton's nuts??????????????
He is a froshy who hasn't taken a snap because of his surgery. What the crap is the big deal?

Give Ainge a chance. He hasn't played that much this year. You can't go from 0-60 in 1 game.

Yes, he needs improvement. A good QB coach will help him by leaps and bounds. Hell, Cut (Or a good QB coach) having him the off-season would probably turn him around.

Crompton is not the man next year. Look where the musical QB's have gotten us this year. Ainge will be the focus and be the starter next year. :banghead:

Originally posted by therickbol@Nov 8, 2005 3:31 PM
"miracle" 
[snapback]185864[/snapback]​

yea serioiusly...he might just be having a bad year...if he returns as anything like last year before the Nd game then he'll be fine

I'm not in agreement with the notion that we can't move the ball with either for one or another. Many posit that defenses don't respect our deep game when Clausen is in so it stuffs up our offense - and that Clausen can't throw the deep ball. It doesn't look that way to me.

1 - Defenses aren't respecting our passing game - period. They don't respect it with Clausen or Ainge; nothing has changed when either plays. It's because of our inability to make people pay, not because one can theoretically throw it harder than the other. ND was an example of this. Foster had about 30 yards rushing after the 1st quarter against the irish.

2 - Our offense may not have been scoring when Clausen was playing, but I do not see why that was BECAUSE of RC. Our offense just stinks. I think it could work with him playing for the same reasons it could work with Ainge.

3 - Clausen can and has thrown the ball long enough to make people pay if we executed. He threw for 300 yards against GA, with many plays being down the field.

4 - I'm not giving up on Ainge, but he looks like a true freshman right now. Raw. He will improve with time.

I say more cowbell. lol
Ainge will improve in time. He needs guidance and direction with his talent. He also needs to know the coaches believe in him.

The funny thing is that with as much time as Clausen has been on the field he and Ainge have the same amount of touchdowns. So since points matter greatly in games could you assume (yes I know what happens when you assume) that the longer Ainge is in there the more points you get? We scored 21 points against ND with him in the whole game.

As far as his completion percentage I'm not all for that being held in high regard with all of the drops out there. The droppies playing WR have done more to kill morale for Ainge and Clausen than ou record right now. The WR's catching the balls would bump those numbers up a lot higher.

Again, keep whining about Clausen being better. After looking at the points scored, time of both in practice and in game, and who can get the ball down the field and opening up options, if you still think Clausen is better, God help us all. Clausen had his chance. Look at our record. Give the young guy a chance since he is future and Clausen is leaving.

Fulmer probably sees no hope for Jimmy Clausen so he thinks there's no chance to repeat the Leak family crisis situation again.

Lets just make as many excuses for ainge as possible
and hope that a fired ole miss coach can, make mold him into
something in 2 years and then start over with a junior who
hasn't had any snaps.
PLEASE GIVE ME A BREAK

lets hope Crompton steps up and takes the lead with
the help from a NEW OC from the NFL
and ainge does nothing somewhere else.

6'6" @ 212 lbs no wonder he's scared

Originally posted by CSpindizzy@Nov 8, 2005 11:59 PM
Again, keep whining about Clausen being better. After looking at the points scored, time of both in practice and in game, and who can get the ball down the field and opening up options, if you still think Clausen is better, God help us all. Clausen had his chance. Look at our record. Give the young guy a chance since he is future and Clausen is leaving.
[snapback]186292[/snapback]​

This isn't about putting one guy down to elevate another. Personally, I think Clausen gives us more management, leadership, intelligence, and flexibility than Ainge. I'm not saying that because I think Ainge is a bad human being.

The TN coaching staff agreed with me, save Fulmer, the lone Ainge proponent.

Without Clausen, we probably lose to UAB and definitely lose against LSU.

The other fallacy is pinning the entire teams production on the QB. Clausen is not solely responsible for losing the games he played, and vice versa. Although I will say that Ainge more game-losing mistakes.

With Ainge in the game against LSU we were down 21-0.

Ainge played the whole way against FL and we scored 7 points.

Neither one of them are great, but I think Clausen can manage the game better. Ainge is an INT waiting to happen.

VN Store

Back