Endorsements as a major recruiting tool

Teams in or near major mass-markets (LA, Chicago, Dallas, NYC) will gain a distinct advantage. Their pool of resources for endorsement deals is way deeper than Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Saban will dominate for 2-3 more years before this new recruiting cycle takes full effect and other teams have 2-3 years to offer better deals than Alabama.

Then Saban will go away.
Interesting.

So if Bammer benefits from the NIL in recruiting where are they to go from #1 every year to where? I'll wait!Halloween costumes.jpg

I don't think this going to have the impact some you expect. Big names will see major money, particularly QBs. Otherwise, I don't think it will be much different than what most of these guys were already getting from bag men, except that it's legal now. A school like Houston, UCF, or even Northwestern is not more likely to pull an elite recruit from a school like Clemson simply becasue they are in a larger market. Recruits will still go where they think they are most likely to start, and/or be developed into a potential NFL draft pick, because that is where the real money is at.
Law of supply and demand. After Jordan revolutionized the sneaker deal, everybody and their mother got one…until it fizzled down to the select. There will be 4th string QBs and backup long snappers banking while the new car smell is still detectable. After looking at their books it’ll self regulate.

Teams in or near major mass-markets (LA, Chicago, Dallas, NYC) will gain a distinct advantage. Their pool of resources for endorsement deals is way deeper than Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Saban will dominate for 2-3 more years before this new recruiting cycle takes full effect and other teams have 2-3 years to offer better deals than Alabama.

Then Saban will go away.

I would have to disagree. Big city folks aren't as into college sports as you think, they have pro teams to cheer for. They are really all about baseball and the MLB. The few college fans in those big markets are sporting Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Clemson, or Alabama hats not Rutgers, Northwestern, or Cal Berkley. The bandwagon Bama and Clemson fans live from sea to shining sea.

The advantage will flow to the teams with the most valuable brands, not necessarily teams in mass markets. Rutgers is in a mass-market, but no one is giving out millions in endorsement money to a Rutgers football player; they'd rather find a New York Jets or Giants player.

Alabama and Tennessee are both among the most valuable college football brands. NIL won't hurt Bama, but it may help us a lot. It'll also help Texas, Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc. In fact, I'd say the biggest beneficiaries will be the Big 10 schools, which have valuable brands, but poor recruiting footprints like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Now, there's a million dollar reason to play football in Lincoln, Nebraska.

They may be valuable brands in the context of college sports but their markets arent that big. If you're a good QB and you can get a million dollar endorsement from Billy Bob's used Car lot or a 10 million dollar endorsement from someone to play QB for UCLA, I see smaller markets suffering due to smaller pockets. Any number of national brands would be happy to endorse you in the L.A. market, not so much in Knoxville or even Nashville. We are in fly-over country as far as they are concerned.

Reactions: J C Higgins
I would have to disagree. Big city folks aren't as into college sports as you think, they have pro teams to cheer for. They are really all about baseball and the MLB. The few college fans in those big markets are sporting Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Clemson, or Alabama hats not Rutgers, Northwestern, or Cal Berkley. The bandwagon Bama and Clemson fans live from sea to shining sea.

Notre Dame will have a huge advantage (Chicago market). USC and UCLA and Cal Berkley also. Pretty much all the Texas teams are shown in the Dallas Ft Worth TV market and are hugely popular there. Those teams will have huge advantages over Alabama which isn't near anything important. Miami is another team to look for.

Its true that teams near New York probably won't do as well, but you never know that's such an enormous market.

Reactions: JRich
I see this argument thrown out a lot, but I really don't understand it. If an offensive lineman doesn't like that his QB is getting paid more than him then I certainly hope that he doesn't plan to make a career in the NFL.
I’m with you, but it’s more then just that. You put a pile of money on the table and this one is getting most of it it will create a different Attitude, Atmosphere, Relationship just a lot of things.

Undoubtedly UT and everyone else is doing this too. It is obvious. Rich boosters now determine who gets the highest ranked recruits AND more importantly who will get the best portal players.
Too bad this didn't start last year... Now UT will be punished for what everybody will be able to do legally this year.

Notre Dame will have a huge advantage (Chicago market). USC and UCLA and Cal Berkley also. Pretty much all the Texas teams are shown in the Dallas Ft Worth TV market and are hugely popular there. Those teams will have huge advantages over Alabama which isn't near anything important. Miami is another team to look for.

Its true that teams near New York probably won't do as well, but you never know that's such an enormous market.

This is just bad analysis. The SEC gets the most TV money for a reason. This is where the most passionate fans are; and it's also where the boosters willing to throw millions of dollars around are at. They're not in Berkeley or Manhattan.

Tennessee is a much more attractive destination to a college football player looking to make money now than Cal or UCLA. So is Nebraska. And Michigan. And Alabama. And Notre Dame. You're not going to sell a lot of merchandise as a Cal player like you are as a Tennessee or Bama or Nebraska player.

Besides, just because a rich person resides in a major market, doesn't mean they support the local team. There are more people in Dallas who are backing Texas A&M or LSU than TCU, even though TCU is local and A&M and LSU are not. Plenty of UT, Florida, Bama, and Auburn folks in Atlanta, as well.

The idea that money flows to teams that just happen to be in big cities / big markets is simply wrong. Rutgers, TCU, and Northwestern are not taking over college football because of NIL. Alabama, out in the middle of nowhere in Tuscaloosa, is more attractive from a money perspective than Northwestern could ever dream about being.

Too bad this didn't start last year... Now UT will be punished for what everybody will be able to do legally this year.
Will be punished for our coaches directly paying players…it’s still not legal.

It's already begun. Saban telling Texas high school football coaches how much money their kids can make in endorsements if they come to Alabama. Using Bryce Young as an example.

Saban: Bryce Young near $1M in endorsements
It would be interesting it Under Armor, Adidas, and Nike all started paying different players on the same team for endorsements. I wonder what might happen to their contracts with the Universities.

But if the nil was in place last year they wouldn't have had to be paid... That's all
“Wouldn’t have”. But we’re being punished for something that IS STILL NOT LEGAL. If we were facing a postseason ban because the Mays Brothers are hawking Krystal’s? THAT would be all.

I’m with you, but it’s more then just that. You put a pile of money on the table and this one is getting most of it it will create a different Attitude, Atmosphere, Relationship just a lot of things.

Hopefully Young is not a huge jerk and picks up the tab every time he goes out to dinner with his teammates.

Reactions: ORANGEMARLIN 2.0
I think the NIL has the opportunity to help Tennessee more than hurt it. I also think that because of their recent success, Alabama has no room to move upward. They've had the #1 rated recruiting class 9 of the last 11 years. They can only take 25 players a year. They are already getting whoever they want, from wherever they are located. I hate them!

When I look at the SEC and boosters, I think there's only a few schools with a current advantage over Tennessee when it comes to having the ability to pitch in for the NIL's of athletes (Alabama, TAMU, Georgia and maybe Florida). I would think Tennessee's booster network can fork out more than USCJr, Vandy, Kentucky, Miss St., Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn.

I predict the downfall of Gump/Bama football will be NIL. Now that it's legal, NIL will take away Bama's advantage of cheating/buying of recruits. Though, Bama fans will be taking out equity loans on their double-wide's to be able to buy them some Bama players' image.

There’s never going to be enough money in Tuscaloosa to compete with the dollars that will be flowing into CF in the next few years. Yeah, Bama is big, but I see schools like Miami, USC, Oregon, and others profiting off of NIL the most. Completely agree with your post. “Young is the queen of my double wide trailer with the houndstooth curtains and the bama-red deeeeccckkk”

There’s never going to be enough money in Tuscaloosa to compete with the dollars that will be flowing into CF in the next few years. Yeah, Bama is big, but I see schools like Miami, USC, Oregon, and others profiting off of NIL the most. Completely agree with your post. “Young is the queen of my double wide trailer with the houndstooth curtains and the bama-red deeeeccckkk”

The Vols own social media, and are a major national brand. Vol Twitter rules that space. I think everyone seems to have forgotten this fact. How much is 1-5 million followers worth? Because, that's the biggest money these kids are going to get. Sure the boosters will pitch their $$ out there, but they can't compete with the advertising dollars flowing through social media.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
I predict the downfall of Gump/Bama football will be NIL. Now that it's legal, NIL will take away Bama's advantage of cheating/buying of recruits. Though, Bama fans will be taking out equity loans on their double-wide's to be able to buy them some Bama players' image.

I tend to agree, at BAMA a guy will be a just another "big duck" on the pond and get $ like most all other BAMA ducks. The same guy can go the a smaller pond with smaller ducks and be the big duck with big bucks!!

Boosters are about to become unbelievably important
Nothing has changed with regard to booster involvement. It’s just easier to spot. NIL opportunities are going to have a larger scope than just the big money guys.

VN Store

Back