Endorsements as a major recruiting tool

I see NIL favoring some teams, and hurting others. The rich will get richer, and the small schools will not be competitive. What will be interesting to see is if Texas, Southern Cal, and Michigan rise from obscurity as a result. They generate an unbelievable amount of revenue (USC not so much) and are national brands. I see this hurting Georgia and Oklahoma, who are more regional brands. Notre Dame will be another team to watch. Although their national brand has declined significantly, they still are hanging around, being competitive every 4-5 years or so.

This, along with the 12 team playoff - welcome to the NFL D league! You know these guys aren't playing for the diploma.

Reactions: knoxvol16
Undoubtedly UT and everyone else is doing this too. It is obvious. Rich boosters now determine who gets the highest ranked recruits AND more importantly who will get the best portal players.
I agree and the game is not fun or entertaining anymore.

Reactions: AM64
So the gump Bama people are why the Vols suck? That’s what I’m reading here. I have said for years we have Bama on the brain, blaming them for everything bad about us and college football. I guess we can blame Fulmer for this thinking? We as a fan base need to look in the mirror and be honest to ourselves, maybe we are part of the problem! We bitch and moan about everything from coaches, players to administrators. Come on man! Our last coaching search proves my post. Pretty dismal..,..

I don't think this going to have the impact some you expect. Big names will see major money, particularly QBs. Otherwise, I don't think it will be much different than what most of these guys were already getting from bag men, except that it's legal now. A school like Houston, UCF, or even Northwestern is not more likely to pull an elite recruit from a school like Clemson simply becasue they are in a larger market. Recruits will still go where they think they are most likely to start, and/or be developed into a potential NFL draft pick, because that is where the real money is at.
"Almost 7 figures" is real money. Especially to an 18 year old.

So the gump Bama people are why the Vols suck? That’s what I’m reading here. I have said for years we have Bama on the brain, blaming them for everything bad about us and college football. I guess we can blame Fulmer for this thinking? We as a fan base need to look in the mirror and be honest to ourselves, maybe we are part of the problem! We bitch and moan about everything from coaches, players to administrators. Come on man! Our last coaching search proves my post. Pretty dismal..,..

The topic is literally about Alabama and Saban's comments regarding Young and the revenue he is generating. Do you just come on here to bitch and moan about UT fans?

Reactions: mpfvol
The key will be who can pay for the 5 star DL and OL. Every power 5 school has the resources and booster support to pay a QB a million. The difference I think will be what schools can pay the two deep players a substantial amount. The 1 million paid to Young who hasn’t even played yet is a publicity stunt by Saban. Saban even admitted that using the NFL model lineman won’t receive as much. Schools like Bama, Auburn, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, Kentucky, etc that are located in poorer economies won’t be able to compete when it comes to paying for a complete team when recruiting. Tennessee’s economy plus booster support probably ranks them behind Texas A & M, Florida, and Georgia. Again I am considering all factors.

Another school if Jerry Jones and the Walton family goes in big time is Arkansas. Those two boosters even though Arkansas is located in a state with limited resources can certainly keep that program competitive. The players attending west coast and east coast schools near large cities won’t reap many benefits as those markets don’t give a **** about college sports. There are exceptions with Ohio State and Penn State. That’s about it. My point is Tennessee will be able to compete for players if they can get their **** together with boosters and businesses throughout the state from Memphis to Tri Cities and everything in between. Again the schools with the resources locally and state wide that can pay substantial for two deep players will be the winners come recruiting. It is my opinion long term Bama won’t be able to do that and Saban will be gone in a few years.

That's a very interesting point of view, but I don't think Bama will have a problem paying their linemen.

I'm sure it been said, but its also a way for big boosters to funnel $$$ to the players they want. Use NIL now through their companies.

I think this is going to get ugly in a bunch of different way. Kid gets nil big deal doesn’t preform gets benched company on the coaches butt to play him, players see kid driving MB BMW what ever getting everything he wants they’re not maybe they block for him maybe they don’t. JMO

Undoubtedly UT and everyone else is doing this too. It is obvious. Rich boosters now determine who gets the highest ranked recruits AND more importantly who will get the best portal players.

I long for amateur athletics - why would I want to watch the New York Yankees with no salary cap buy the best team and then stomp everyone else?

There will be 6 or so great teams with rich boosters buying athletes and then everyone else. I don't like watching when I know the outcome already. I think we will end up with something that is unwatchable and uncompetitive. Shouldn't NIL information be
public information ? Wonder who has offered up $ 1M in endorsements to the Alabama qb ?

This entire thing seems like a nightmare. In theory it was good for the kids, but this is going to end up ruining them and college football.
I don’t think so. It’ll help the long term future of the game when guys have a chance to make millions before they turn 20

I long for amateur athletics - why would I want to watch the New York Yankees with no salary cap buy the best team and then stomp everyone else?

There will be 6 or so great teams with rich boosters buying athletes and then everyone else. I don't like watching when I know the outcome already. I think we will end up with something that is unwatchable and uncompetitive. Shouldn't NIL information be
public information ? Wonder who has offered up $ 1M in endorsements to the Alabama qb ?
I understand what you are saying, but those days ended years ago. If anything this levels the playing field somewhat

I think this is going to get ugly in a bunch of different way. Kid gets nil big deal doesn’t preform gets benched company on the coaches butt to play him, players see kid driving MB BMW what ever getting everything he wants they’re not maybe they block for him maybe they don’t. JMO

I see this argument thrown out a lot, but I really don't understand it. If an offensive lineman doesn't like that his QB is getting paid more than him then I certainly hope that he doesn't plan to make a career in the NFL.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Teams in or near major mass-markets (LA, Chicago, Dallas, NYC) will gain a distinct advantage. Their pool of resources for endorsement deals is way deeper than Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

The advantage will flow to the teams with the most valuable brands, not necessarily teams in mass markets. Rutgers is in a mass-market, but no one is giving out millions in endorsement money to a Rutgers football player; they'd rather find a New York Jets or Giants player.

Alabama and Tennessee are both among the most valuable college football brands. NIL won't hurt Bama, but it may help us a lot. It'll also help Texas, Florida, LSU, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, etc. In fact, I'd say the biggest beneficiaries will be the Big 10 schools, which have valuable brands, but poor recruiting footprints like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Now, there's a million dollar reason to play football in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Reactions: JRich
Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Elon Musk could become infatuated with Washington State and within 3 years they could replace Alabama as the dominant team in America. There is no longer a level playing field - and without some sort of salary cap ... it will not be fair. Bezos could reach out to the entire starting lineup for Alabama other than the qb - offer them $200,000 a year to enter the transfer portal and transfer to Washington State and puff they would be gone. Looks like cornbread was just a year ahead of his time with the McDonald's bags. This will be a disaster - short of some kind of NIL cap per team.

Full speed train wreck headed your way.

"Almost 7 figures" is real money. Especially to an 18 year old.

You don't think some of these guys were already getting that before? Also, we're talking about the starting QB at Bama. So not exactly apples to apples comparison to rest of the college football world.

Again, kids will go where they think is the best fit. They can make similar money at most Power 5 school, so the I don't buy the "marketability" of the school argument.

Now, maybe some small schools in some small markets like UAB or Marshall will have a harder time competing for similar players. That's a possibility. But isn't likely to affect the vast majority of recruits.

Reactions: JRich
This entire thing seems like a nightmare. In theory it was good for the kids, but this is going to end up ruining them and college football.

I agree with everything but the "good for the kids" part. There's nothing like highlighting the "me" in "team."

You don't think some of these guys were already getting that before? Also, we're talking about the starting QB at Bama. So not exactly apples to apples comparison to rest of the college football world.

Again, kids will go where they think is the best fit. They can make similar money at most Power 5 school, so the I don't buy the "marketability" of the school argument.

Now, maybe some small schools in some small markets like UAB or Marshall will have a harder time competing for similar players. That's a possibility. But isn't likely to affect the vast majority of recruits.

I agree with your previous comment, just pointing out the casual dismissal of nearly a million dollars. Not all of these guys will make it to the NFL.
You don't think some of these guys were already getting that before? No, not as taxable and spendable income. Sure, some may have had their house paid off (Bush) or be given access to cars (Bama) but as far as spendable cash the amounts are smaller and more conspicuous. Before NIL, you not only had to think about the NCAA, but also the IRS. You don't think the IRS would be interested in a college student whos parents make $50,000 a year spending $750,000 without holding a job? Based on my experience, cash payments were capped (no more than $5k at a time) and the preference was to offer the player goods and services (ahem... tattoos, cars, girls, jewelry) rather than cash. Goes to show you how bad Pruitt and bunch were at it.

VN Store

Back